cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Mail is faster that First Class, same as Priority. What do you use for expediated shipping?

I usually ship DVDs by First Class Package to save a few pennies and thought that is an upgrade on shipping. Recently I started using only postage and just noticed that Media Mail is faster than First Class, or at least as fast as First Class (judging from the estimated delivery date). Media Mail is as fast as Priority (only some cases?). So if a customer paid expediated shipping, why should I waste more on shipping by using Priority? I have been using Priority for all expediated shipping. But if Media mail is as fast, why don't I use Media Mail?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Media Mail is faster that First Class, same as Priority. What do you use for expediated shipping?

You're free to use Media Mail for any items that fall under that specific USPS service method.

However, you're not allowed to advertise & charge a buyer for Priority Mail or FC Package services in your listings, then turn around and ship via the slower, less expensive method.

Media Mail is hit-n-miss... it's the lowest priority of the PO's various services, and the one that's most often subject to packages being opened for inspection.  For US buyers living outside the contiguous 48 states, stick to FCP or PM.

Good luck!

Graciously grin when you growl...lion.gif

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

If pennies are important to you, I would suggest buying unused US stamps here on eBay. You can usually find them for $.50 or so on the $1:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=unused+us+stamps&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l131...

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I am talking about Amazon shipment. I usually get two options: Standard or Expediated.

Of course I know that Media Mail is the lowest priority and all media mails putting together and items can easily be damaged.

First class sometimes can be 1 day slower than Media Mail. Trade off: speed or better service?

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

If I bought something and paid for expediated shipping, I would expect my item to be shipped via Priority Mail. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

For Ebay (I'm not sure about Amazon) even First Class is NOT Expedited Service http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/prompt-shipping.html so if you list Expedited shipping you need to use Priority Mail.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@dreambooks wrote:

So if a customer paid expediated shipping, why should I waste more on shipping by using Priority? I have been using Priority for all expediated shipping. But if Media mail is as fast, why don't I use Media Mail?

Among the reasons:

Because the customer paid for expedited shipping.

Because Media Mail isn't expedited shipping.

Because you definitely can't count on MM being "as fast" as expedited shipping.

Because you're risking a neg or neutral to the effect of: Paid for expedited shipping. Seller used slower mail service.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I understand the Amazon thing; and have no compunctions about using first class for those who pay for expedited service. On Amazon you pay for a "window" of delivery time; not a specific service. You don't declare--which is to say Amazon does not declare--what type of service the delivery comes by.

As a Prime member I most often get my deliveries by UPS but sometimes it's a FEDEX truck.and sometimes it's FEDEX/Ground which is delivered by my mail carrier. 

IF it does not deliver in the promised 2 day time, I get something back; and if I buy in advance of need and pick slow shipping they pay me for it.

I've not tried Media Mail in lieu of First Class for anything heavy enough to warrent the upgrade, I just pop it in a flat rate envelope:

The money made isn't enough to fret over and Media Rate is iffy when it comes to delivery.

Last week I had to deal with two customers who had their packages inexplicably delayed: 3 days in Bell, 5 days in Houston because they shipped it to the wrong PO the first time. Fortunately they were eBay customers who understood it was the Post Office. Had they been Amazon orders, I'd have been refunding some money without them asking.

I  would not consider media mail for anything that was purchassed as expedited anywhere. The odds are very good that you will miss the window and be refunding the difference and for each standard DVD that means you are actually losing a few pennies by the time it's all over; plus whatever else you might suffer from when it comes to DSR's. 

The downside is too steep.

I guess there isn't too much room with DVD's for raising your price to pick up the pennies but that's what I do with books.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

This is what I'm going through as a buyer and I'm languishing over how to rate a seller in a minor book lot transaction. I know you guys pay a lot of fees and experience a lot of aggravations in selling processes on ebay. But put yourself in our shoes when you're on a limited income, and you bid on books for grandkids to read as required by school (20-30 books per month. iow, you spend on them more than parents do). You win the auction, pay it immediately, and expect it to be shipped USPS priority flat rate box. (I'm an old postal service retiree, so I know USPS rates and system). But you receive your package days later and it's been mailed MM for $3.61.

Now mindga, I'm an understanding person and I can see why it would be advantageous to "skim" a little bit more off postage for profit, especially in lieu of fees on top of postage, which doesn't solve the problem of overcharging postage to avoid ebay fees. But we're the ones who are paying it in the end also towards ebay fees, realistically. And it's also depressing buyers from buying from ebay sellers, as friendly sellers have noted the slow-down of business in general. 

So what do I do as a buyer? The seller has NOT performed their duty by giving my feedback score after immediate payment upon auction closing. They are a supposed new seller, which I doubt because of communications between us on another item I wanted to bid on for combined shipping. He didn't answer for a few days until after the first auction closed the following day (holding up my purchase from being mailed), asking me 'how would I like to do such a transaction'. To which I answered that since I was PAYING for priority flat rate, he could toss the item in, at no added shipping and I'd pay his fairly high starting price for a used "puzzle" if he relisted and if I won the item for lowest bid.. He hem hawed around with enticing words, and I should've realized he knew he couldn't ship a puzzle in a "pre-planned" MM shipment, plus wanted a little extra money for shipping outside of ebay fees. I related to him that since he could not give me a definitive answer, just to ship my books as agreed.

To end this diatrobe, how do I rate him fairly, but not endanger my own perfect buyers feedback score, if he turns nasty? He may reply that it was I who wanted to purchase the extra item outside of ebay, and I was holding his feedback hostage, when he's the one who did wrong by purposely planning to ship an auction for MM and pocketing the extra away from ebay fees. Another buyer also remarked on their positive rating how priority isn't 3 days. 

A neutral that won't affect their overall feedback percentage rate, and risk retribution or a positive with comments about inconsistent shipping cost and take off stars? 

P.S. there was no packing at all around the books to keep them from shifting. Not even old plastic bags or newspaper wadded up. Just tossed loosely in oversized box.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Yep - Media Mail gets delivered when and if the PO gets around to it. It is low priority. I would just use FC and send it on.
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@wildfyre1954 wrote:

This is what I'm going through as a buyer and I'm languishing over how to rate a seller in a minor book lot transaction. I know you guys pay a lot of fees and experience a lot of aggravations in selling processes on ebay. But put yourself in our shoes when you're on a limited income, and you bid on books for grandkids to read as required by school (20-30 books per month. iow, you spend on them more than parents do). You win the auction, pay it immediately, and expect it to be shipped USPS priority flat rate box. (I'm an old postal service retiree, so I know USPS rates and system). But you receive your package days later and it's been mailed MM for $3.61.

Now mindga, I'm an understanding person and I can see why it would be advantageous to "skim" a little bit more off postage for profit, especially in lieu of fees on top of postage, which doesn't solve the problem of overcharging postage to avoid ebay fees. But we're the ones who are paying it in the end also towards ebay fees, realistically. And it's also depressing buyers from buying from ebay sellers, as friendly sellers have noted the slow-down of business in general. 

So what do I do as a buyer? The seller has NOT performed their duty by giving my feedback score after immediate payment upon auction closing. They are a supposed new seller, which I doubt because of communications between us on another item I wanted to bid on for combined shipping. He didn't answer for a few days until after the first auction closed the following day (holding up my purchase from being mailed), asking me 'how would I like to do such a transaction'. To which I answered that since I was PAYING for priority flat rate, he could toss the item in, at no added shipping and I'd pay his fairly high starting price for a used "puzzle" if he relisted and if I won the item for lowest bid.. He hem hawed around with enticing words, and I should've realized he knew he couldn't ship a puzzle in a "pre-planned" MM shipment, plus wanted a little extra money for shipping outside of ebay fees. I related to him that since he could not give me a definitive answer, just to ship my books as agreed.

To end this diatrobe, how do I rate him fairly, but not endanger my own perfect buyers feedback score, if he turns nasty? He may reply that it was I who wanted to purchase the extra item outside of ebay, and I was holding his feedback hostage, when he's the one who did wrong by purposely planning to ship an auction for MM and pocketing the extra away from ebay fees. Another buyer also remarked on their positive rating how priority isn't 3 days. 

A neutral that won't affect their overall feedback percentage rate, and risk retribution or a positive with comments about inconsistent shipping cost and take off stars? 

P.S. there was no packing at all around the books to keep them from shifting. Not even old plastic bags or newspaper wadded up. Just tossed loosely in oversized box.

I believe in honesty.  You can leave neutral (or even positive, if you were otherwise pleased with the transaction) feedback with a comment noting that the seller advertised Priority shipping, but shipped via Media Mail. 

If, on the other hand, a seller advertises a set price for shipping without specifying a shipment method, then I believe he/she can fairly use whatever shipping they find most convenient,  expedient or cost-saving. 

As long as you paid for the item(s), I don't believe a seller can leave negative feedback for you or otherwise open a dispute.  

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

At this point in time, the small seller (those who don't qualify for volume discounting with the USPS because they don't ship 300 or more pieces a week) have no real option any longer.

They pay for expedited it goes priority mail. First class for anything with tracking (package, not letter rate) is more costly than media rate by a couple pennies.

Has been, since 1/27 this year (2017).

So the feedback is pretty clear, too: you paid for a service you can't possible get.

eBay doesn't offer "expedited" as a choice. You get priority, first class, media or ground parcel for USPS.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply