cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the summer a good time for ebay sales

I had not had any sales since April 26 and was starting to think I was in the doldrums. Since last Friday, however, I have sold five books and one of those went for several hundred dollars. So I am hoping for strong sales this summer. As holidays are usually good times for buyers I will be sure to list as many items  - both old and new - as possible by this weekend.

On another topic I received a package in the mail from an eBay shipper and truthfully I had forgotten what I had purchased. It was some inexpensive coin holders that I would try using for my other business, selling off my coin collection from my childhood.

This package was sealed with "ebay" packing tape. Has anyone else seen this before? I queried the seller and he pointed me to a seller with the ID ebayshippingsupplies. Turns out there are a bunch of sellers hawking ebay IDed shipping supplies - boxes, envelopes etc. As always there is fight to the bottom so if you need shipping supplies this might be something to check out.

Michael 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

My eBay sales drop in half during the dog days of summer, but more then make up for this as a Flea Market vendor in the summer months, and it's great to be outside instead of looking at a screen. I do believe store owners get a quota of free eBay shipping supplies every 3 months, and yes, I have seen and have received packages with "eBay" tape plastered all over it. Not into advertising for eBay, I'll get my own tape. Good Luck to you.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@bestpaperboy

1. Summer sales:  depends on what one is selling and how is buying.

2. eBay Branded supplies: I get mine from the official Seller and use my quarterly coupon.  Anyone selling knocks will eventually get caught and risk having their account closed.

3. Diversify:  to help sell during slow times try diversifying what you sell.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

If you are a seller who lists a wide variety of items, chances are your sales will be good year round.

It's also a good idea to list items everyday if possible. I've had two packages sent to me with ebay packaging tape in the past month or so. Would much rather use my own packaging materials.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I had my best week ever, last week. Gave a $432 check to my consigner (I keep the other half, book pays the fees) and most of that was last week. About $400 in other sales, as well.

First of the month, end of the month, middle of the month. People get paid, and feed their habits.

I learned a while ago to develop a number of niches that sell at different times of the year, so the only really slow periods I have are late July-mid August and then two or three weeks in December when shoppers aren't willing to wait.

Free is good. I used to get tape from Choosebooks, but then Amazon bought them and the golden goose died. Now I get them from the store here.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Sales of our books typically slump in the summer. Down almost half of the average and low enough to threaten our Top Rated status. But we use the time to bulk up our inventory for our Christmas season sales.

As for eBay shipping supplies. They are free to sellers with eBay stores. I think we get about $150 worth every few months. Lots of people get the coupon but can't use all the shipping supplies. So they sell them back on eBay for cheap prices because they figure they got them for about 'free.'

Btw, I love the eBay packing tape!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply