cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone here been on Antiques Roadshow?

I just found out that I "won" tickets through their online lottery system for the NYC appearance of Antiques Roadshow in August.

Apparently, thousands of people apply for tickets and a random lottery determines who actually gets them.  You have to choose among the cities that Roadshow has chosen for the season and you can only enter one time.

This year, the Antiques Roadshow is making appearances at:

Bismarck, ND

Santa Clara, CA

Birmingham, AL

Austin, TX

Albuquerque, NM

Chicago, IL

New York NY

Charleston, WV

I just chose NYC from that list because it seemed the closest to where I live.  I never expected I would win tickets from the lottery.

I've tried a couple of years in the past and never won.

So now I get to choose what 4 items to bring (2 items for each guest and they send two tickets). 

I already know one item (a small antique toy wooden rocking horse that I bought from my antique dealer friend Paul a couple of years ago --- he has since passed away).  At the time I bought it, he told me he got it from a Washington, D.C. estate and that it probably dates to the mid-nineteenth century.  It's really cool, with some kind of weighted mechanism inside that makes the front leg move up and down when it's rocked.    

Now, the search is on for some other cool things to bring that I know nothing or very little about!

Message 1 of 54
latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Here's Alice.

Message 31 of 54
latest reply

Here's more Alice.

Message 32 of 54
latest reply

I've been to both the British and US ARS, both of which have made appearances here in Toronto.  Be prepared for a lot of waiting and get there as early as you can.  Standing in line can be fun enough, with everybdy checking out what everybody else brought.  I think it's a long day for the experts and they are not at their most enthusiastic by the end.  I saw numerous items filmed, but none of them made the final cut.  I was filmed at the US event, one of those guy-at-the-counter shots, but I must have died on the editing room floor.

Bob

Message 33 of 54
latest reply

Has anyone else ever noticed the unflattering shots of people standing BEHIND a filmed appraisal?

(BACKGROUND) PEOPLE OF WALMART ANTIQUES ROADSHOW:

Mezzanine_745.jpg

tulsa1.gif

Message 34 of 54
latest reply

@imagine.ink wrote:

Has anyone else ever noticed the unflattering shots of people standing BEHIND a filmed appraisal?

Mezzanine_745.jpg

tulsa1.gif

Message 35 of 54
latest reply

I've been watching this, thinking I should acquire it for the BSB Museum.  Getting a little pricey or it would be a 'no brainer'...

$_57.JPG

Message 36 of 54
latest reply

@the*bumping*squirrel wrote:

@imagine.ink wrote:

Bumpy travelled to the British AR and that's where Elvis has been hiding all these years...who knew?

Message 37 of 54
latest reply

I would have rather had no reply over there than to be told by 3 people a small table that my Grandmother left me was a fake. My Grandmother told me when I was a little girl her mother had given it to her when she married. I remember it at her house as a child. Just a bunch of smart a***s over there. 

Message 38 of 54
latest reply

Which thread? (And would you have called us a "bunch of smart a***s" to our faces??) Geez Louise!
Message 39 of 54
latest reply

@kentworld wrote:
Which thread? (And would you have called us a "bunch of smart a***s" to our faces??) Geez Louise!

I suspect that the reference, "a bunch of smart a***s" referred to the experts at Antique Roadshow, and not to a thread on this Board.  English is probably not this poster's first language.

Message 40 of 54
latest reply

Thanks, O Mighty Squirrel. I wasn't in a mood to be trifled with yesterday -- and me here a Mom and Nana on Mother's Day typing "a***s!"
Message 41 of 54
latest reply

At the British ARS, I was with my father.  We took along a toy car he had purchased himself in 1928 as a birthday gift for my grandfather who had said he wanted a new car.  The expert looked at the car and said "No.  Never happened."  This wasn't some family history I was passing along second hand.  The man himself, the man who made the original purchase, was on hand.  That ticked me off some.

Bob

Message 42 of 54
latest reply

Tickets came in yesterday's mail!

Roosevelt Sig.jpg

Message 43 of 54
latest reply

Please post an update here after you attend!

Have you decided what to take?

Fig

----------
Current avatar: Actress Myrna Loy.
Message 44 of 54
latest reply

Fig, no, I still haven't decided what to take other than my 19th century toy rocking horse.

I wish I had a cool, mysterious book to bring, but alas, my book inventory is rather blasé.

Message 45 of 54
latest reply