cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone here been on Antiques Roadshow?

I just found out that I "won" tickets through their online lottery system for the NYC appearance of Antiques Roadshow in August.

Apparently, thousands of people apply for tickets and a random lottery determines who actually gets them.  You have to choose among the cities that Roadshow has chosen for the season and you can only enter one time.

This year, the Antiques Roadshow is making appearances at:

Bismarck, ND

Santa Clara, CA

Birmingham, AL

Austin, TX

Albuquerque, NM

Chicago, IL

New York NY

Charleston, WV

I just chose NYC from that list because it seemed the closest to where I live.  I never expected I would win tickets from the lottery.

I've tried a couple of years in the past and never won.

So now I get to choose what 4 items to bring (2 items for each guest and they send two tickets). 

I already know one item (a small antique toy wooden rocking horse that I bought from my antique dealer friend Paul a couple of years ago --- he has since passed away).  At the time I bought it, he told me he got it from a Washington, D.C. estate and that it probably dates to the mid-nineteenth century.  It's really cool, with some kind of weighted mechanism inside that makes the front leg move up and down when it's rocked.    

Now, the search is on for some other cool things to bring that I know nothing or very little about!

Message 1 of 54
latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Yes, although as far as I know, my aunt and I didn't end up being included in the final edit of the show. Originally I had some item that I wanted to have valued, but my aunt's stuff was way more interesting, so I decided to borrow something from her stash, and I left whatever I'd taken to be appraised in the car.

This was many years ago, so I may be a little off on the specifics, but if I recall correctly, we were told to be there at 6 a.m. My aunt's friend went with us, an older woman, who wisely suggested that we show up at 4 a.m. She was right. Even though this meant getting up insanely early in the morning so we could drive from East L.A. to the Los Angeles Convention Center to be there by 4 a.m., it was totally worth it.

The item I had examined was a jade belt. There was a man in the group of experts who knew more about Japanese jade than anyone else, and he told me the belt had most likely been custom-designed for a courtesan (a hooker). If the jade had been any color other than white, the value would have been extremely high, but the white jade made it a far more common item, interesting but not particuarly valuable.

The person who gave my aunt the jade belt had spent years living and traveling through Asia and the rest of the world, so the time and location matched exactly with what this expert at the Antiques Roadshow told me. Edit: ***** cat just jumped on the keyboard.

I was glad we went, it was an interesting experience, and one of those fun things you can talk about later, if someone ever asks. I don't think we had tickets, back in those days it was a first-come, first-served deal.

Message 2 of 54
latest reply

OP,

If you have time, before you take your rocking horse to the Roadshow, you should post photo's over on the antiques board for an appraisal.

Like myself, many retired antique dealers post over there, and I'm sure we could give you an idea of what you have before you attend the show.

Unfortunately, a rocking horse bought two-three years ago, could be a foreign made reproduction piece. (hope I'm wrong)..but it doesn't cost anything for you to post a few photo's for the board's opinion.

There's a good crowd over there, and much camaraderie, so don't worry about being a stranger, you will be very welcome..

I'm not sure how the Antique Roadshow determines who gets tickets & who doesn't...?

I do know that the last couple of times I've been fortunate enough to secure tickets, I had mailed my request very early after the news announcement of the show coming to our town.

Good luck !

Message 3 of 54
latest reply

I wouldn't believe anything I was told there, and would not trust a single evaluation, without checking through the history of the person offering the "advice".

There are a couple of regular posters, here, who can help you separate the wheat from the heap, but you should private message them about it.

The last thing you want to do is find yourself on TV suggesting that one of those gave you an appraisal that was totally wrong and you trusted it

Message 4 of 54
latest reply

No Offense, times have change and this was years ago...

However, I have to agree with the be careful of Antiques board based on an unfortunate experience I had years ago. A sad duh on me moment.

My question (on an old ID) was an easy answer for a antique dealer, like those that hung around on that board then. Yet, none posted what my items are. One person posted they're nice. I was surprised by the silence/lack of response.

Thinking for sure somebody will know or else they're contemporary what nots. I listed and sold them under ten dollars. I found out later...get this...on "Antiques Roadshow!"

Rule #1 on the Antiques Board...if there is silence...then research until you know for sure. Just because experts hang out on a board doesn't mean they have all the answers, and/or are willing to give the answers in order to increase their chances of getting a very good deal on eBay when the uninformed sell cheap.

Seller beware thing

Message 5 of 54
latest reply

They started using the lottery system for tickets rather than the "first come, first served" system when lines began stretching around city blocks during their appearances and people still couldn't get in after waiting for hours.

The lottery ticket system means it's harder to get in, but once you've won tickets, the process is a whole lot easier and more organized.  You have an exact day assigned and once you get your ticket, it will have a specific time window assigned for that day.

My rocking horse is genuinely old, I'm certain.  For one thing, Paul (my antiques friend) would never deceive me about its origins. 

Here are some pics.  I hope I get to see the Antiques Roadshow toy guy with the ponytail, so he can tell me more about it.

1-12-07 002.jpg 

1-12-07 005.jpg

Message 6 of 54
latest reply

Several years ago one of my younger brothers and his wife attended the "Antiques Roadshow" in Pittsburgh. Despite the appraiser's best attempts to catch the attention of one of the film crew to come over and film them, he failed.

My brother has the Irish gift of storytelling and it was hilarious listening to him recount the tale. He took a vase that had  belonged to our mother. A vase that was in our house for as long as we could remember. My brother didn't know any more than that when asked about the provenance.

The expert became excited when he saw the vase and when he checked the markings on the bottom, he found that it was not made by the company he expected to see. However, he remained upbeat and excited since the company that had made it was not known for making such vases but instead was well-known for making other items.

The appraiser kept repeating information about it and each time he kept raising his voice. My brother and his wife were mystified as to why the expert kept repeating the info over and over and louder and louder each time. They, of course, were getting excited to hear how much it was worth since he was getting so excited and loud about it!

As it turned out the vase was not worth thousands but it did break $100. The appraiser then told them that he had been trying to catch the camera guy's attention and that is why he kept repeating himself and getting louder each time. He said that he wanted to have it filmed since it was an unusual piece for that company to have produced.

So not only didn't they end up on the cutting room floor, they didn't even get filmed. 

Message 7 of 54
latest reply

Wilson is one of the "good guys" on the Antiques Board. It would be interesting for you to post there, Imagineink, see what the boardies have to say and then compare the info with what you get from the AR experts. It looks good to me -- haven't seen one like it before and miniatures/toys are usually more interesting/valuable than the real life thing.

Message 8 of 54
latest reply

May I suggest that those of you who have chosen to disparage the Antiques Board, follow up by actually reading the questions and answers, ask a question of your own, and pay attention to the source of wrong/confusing/rude remarks that for reasons unknown to any of the rest of us, seem to fall under some kind of "freedom of speech" thesis as put forth by the present eBay idiologues.

🙂

Message 9 of 54
latest reply

I have no hard feelings toward anyone on the Antiques Board; I just chose to post here because this is my "home" board and I have a comfort level here among my bookselling peers.

Feel free to direct anyone from the Antiques Board to this board if they would like to comment on the rocking horse.  Occasionally, someone will post something from another board to this Board if it is book-related and we all chime in with what we think.

When I first acquired this horse, Paul had just gotten it from the estate, where he was called in to buy what he wanted.  The estate's ancestors were a wealthy Washington, D.C. family.   That's really all I know.

In the meantime, hoping to learn more about my particular horse, I spent way too much money on a large reference book on rocking horses titled The Rocking Horse: A History of Moving Toy Horses when a copy came up for auction.

Although the book provided an extensive history of rocking horses, the book gave me no clues as to the origin of my horse. The horse's ears (probably once leather) have fallen out and you can see there was once a rider, who has also been lost to the ravages of time.

Just as well, because the Roadshow wants people to bring things that they have little or no infomation about; if you know too much, there's no STORY for them to tell. 

Message 10 of 54
latest reply

cute horse

that's all i know

Quidvis recte factum quamvis humile praeclarum
Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble.

Don

Message 11 of 54
latest reply

Imagine.ink,

I don't know anything about the horse, but wanted to say that I hope you have a great experience in your visit to the Antiques Roadshow.  The only reason I've never tried to attend is that very few of my possessions would be worth appraising by those people (watching the show has taught me that).

Enjoy!

Fig

----------
Current avatar: Actress Myrna Loy.
Message 12 of 54
latest reply

I attended quite a few years ago when the show was in Hartford. I brought a box of 30-40 pieces of vintage butterfly wing jewelry that my mother had collected, and a book. They were pretty interested in the jewelry, and they "consulted" about feature filming, but I think I let on that I knew too much about the value--they really want people who'll be shocked and awed when the price is revealed. The book appraisal didn't go very well. It was a Modern Library illustrated Alice in Wonderland that I thought might be special (I still think so, but haven't done anything with it), but the book appraiser had no information and no interest. He said it was worth about $20.00, and since I had already done some research that indicated it was an uncommon ML, I was disappointed. It was a good experience, however--lots of friendly people with interesting stories about their stuff. 

Message 13 of 54
latest reply

Just to clarify something: "shouting" is all caps.

Use of a somewhat larger type can be due to several things: the writers eyesight, courtesy toward those readers whose eyesight is NOT perfect (and many on the AB, and others, have been in the business for many years and appreciate the gesture), and computer quirks.  

My own computer began typing one morning in a size that was...shall we say, barely noticeable.  I can only assume that there was an attack of elves during the night, as, at the time, I wasn't computer savvy enough to do that on purpose!

Message 14 of 54
latest reply

My wife's computer does a somersault from time to time, re-orienting 90 degrees from "normal" for no apparent reason.

Mine, and occasionally the desktop, both forget where the keyboard is. 

I chalk it up to a vast left-wing conspiracy based in Redmond.

When someone raises their voice, it is yelling: when someone increases the size of their type face it is a visual representation of the raising of a voice. 

Frankly, if I have trouble seeing things, it is very simple for me to increase the magnification of the screen, fig. Anyone can do it on any computer. On Windows machines control+ the wheel on the mouse will increase or decrease the size from 25% to 400%. 

There used to be a magnifier that would increase magnification to 1600% but MicroSoft improved it away. 

Message 15 of 54
latest reply