cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From the Collected Works of Bookseller Hints

From the Collected Works of Bookseller Hints . . .

Most new bookdealers burn out within three years...

[Satnrose]

Message 1 of 353
latest reply
352 REPLIES 352

Re: From the Collected Works of Bookseller Hints

rockmaple - To me 'cracked' is not as severe as 'broken'. I then to think of the latter as being where the spine of the cover is loose or detatched  from the textblock vs. where the webbing shows at the crack. However, I am far from knowlegable about the finer points and had hoped someone with some expertise would answer you. Perhaps if you started a thread on Book Flaws and Repairs or something of that nature it would garner some replies as well as stimulate discussions of other terms and repairs.

How do those dealers manage to identify first without carrying around a copy of McBrides? What's the secret? The remarks below are what book dealers know ... even if they don't know that they know it. One can identify most firsts by process of elimination, and never need to carry around a guide. It does assume some knowledge, but not much. And, there are exceptions to every single "rule".

First Edition Identification in the Field:

1) Eliminate Bookclubs and Reprint Publishers. Since these are almost never first editions and they seem to be everywhere, one needs to eliminate them. All the DJs without prices and all the books with a blindstamp in the lower right corner of the rear board are gone. 

Same story with Reprint Publishers. No need to memorize a list, just gradually let it seep in that 99% of the books published by Grosset & Dunlap, Blue Ribbon, Triangle, etc are reprints and cannot be firsts. As you hear about other Reprint Publishers, simply file them away in your head as producers of books that aren't firsts.

2) Eliminate obvious later printings. Books that state "second printing" or later on the copyright page and books with numberlines that don't go down to "1" or letter lines that don't go down to "A" are out the door. This wipes out a very large number of books because many, if not most publishers do indicate later printings. They may not indicate what a first is, but they often go to the trouble of signifying 2nds, 3rds, etc. On some books they even state the (later) printing on the dust jacket!

For older books, it is necessary to check for a date on the title page and compare it to the date on the copyright page. If they are the same, its a first, if they are different its not a first.

3) Which one's are firsts? So, what's left? What's left is a much smaller group of books that might be first editions. Publishers who "state" that a book is a first do so in a variety of ways. They might say "First edition" or "first printing" or "first published in month/year." Doesn't matter what form it takes, these are all firsts! ...or at least firsts of that edition.

Now, what's left is a few handfuls of books where there is nothing on the copyright page. There is no indication of whether the book is a first or not. To reduce this pile a little bit, it is necessary to learn at least two publishers: Doubleday always states first. Scribners always uses the letter "A" under the copyright date line. (Reiterating here that there are exceptions to every rule).

The number of books left now is really quite small. But, guess what. Each one has a 50% or better chance of being a first -- probably closer to 70-80% (as a guess). So, buy it if its in nice condition and its cheap.

Disclaimer. All of the above is common sense and only requires a very small amount of knowledge. There are quite a large number of exceptions though to everything above. You can reduce the number of "non-first" purchases by gradually learning the quirky practices of the thousands of publishers.

[Psthomas]

Message 286 of 353
latest reply

lludwig Thanks! When I list a book with problems I tend to go the narrative route and include a lot of photos of problems (and I'm always pleasantly surprised when they sell,) but it's helpful to have the proper vocabulary. I think your suggestion of a separate thread for Book Flaws & Repairs is a good one.

Message 287 of 353
latest reply

Admit it when you're wrong.

I seize on my mistakes and tear them apart for years afterwards. When it comes to bookselling, don't defend yourself if you are found to be in error. Find the origin of the error and delete it.

But be careful what you promise....

[Satnrose]

Message 288 of 353
latest reply

O Thou! to
please whose love and wrath as well,
Allah created heaven and likewise hell
Message 289 of 353
latest reply

Same story with Reprint Publishers. No need to memorize a list, just gradually let it seep in that 99% of the books published by Grosset & Dunlap, Blue Ribbon, Triangle, etc are reprints and cannot be firsts.

99% is much too high for Grosset & Dunlap. Last year, while researching for one of our G&D publisher reports, I was surprised to identify (and compile) several thousand G&D First Editions - and many of them were not series books, which are frequently singled out as the only exceptions. Two of the more intriguing niches that were populated with First Editions were Jazz Age and Depression Era romance novels with often stunning dust jacket art.

Message 290 of 353
latest reply

From the Collected Works of Booksellers' Hints . . .

If you go to an estate sale and you find hundreds of eBay printouts and PayPal receipts in the trash,

Run!

[Satnrose]

Message 291 of 353
latest reply

"Discovery is more important than money.....

....which explains why [some of us] will never get rich in this business.

The people who do, buy high and sell higher. Or own large operations that sell thousands upon thousands of book a year. Or who start up internet operations that will take 125 years to show a profit but make millions at their IPO.

It's no great trick to buy something that's obviously undervalued. You can't really call it an investment. It's more like treasurehunting or gambling. But you can't really call it gambling because you nearly always win.

What we do that's really important is to discover that which has been overlooked, underappreciated, misevaluated or lost.

Most frequently it's simply a handwritten name in a book. But sometimes it's an unknown publication not listed in any library anywhere....."

[Satnrose]

Message 292 of 353
latest reply

Selling books is not a profitable enterprise.

Most people think money is more important than books. Booksellers are uniformly confused on this point.

Booksellers are rich in books and short on funds.

Bookselling is an excuse to shop for more books.

Buying books is a lot easier than selling them.

If booksellers had any brains, they wouldn't be selling books.

Books won't pay the rent, but they make good insulation.

Most books can be had for a song. But you won't get no money for them.

Books weigh too much.

[Psthomas]

Message 293 of 353
latest reply

"You are greater than you know."

Believe it or not, it is possible to look at a row of books and see the best book on the shelf in a split second. Before you even consciously read the title. This is possible because your subconscious intuition can be stronger than your surface thinking. A good feel for books is invaluable.

[Satnrose]

Message 294 of 353
latest reply

Study, buddy.

An education in the usedbookbusiness doesn't lend itself to the traditional methods of study. You can't go to college to learn the whole da*n thing, but aspects of it can be studied. Overall, your learning will be haphazard and disorganized, but pick it up as best you can. Try to learn something new everyday.

One recommendation: go to a known and established rare book auction, look at and handle every lot you can, then sit in the audience during the action and write down what every lot sells for [and to whom, if you can concentrate on that]. This is roughly the equivalent of cramming for an exam. You will be tested everytime you buy a book.

[Satnrose]

Message 295 of 353
latest reply

From the Collected Works of Booksellers' Hints . . .

There can be wide variations in signatures.

The autograph of an author who signs 1000 books at a time will be quite often be quite different between #1 and #1000.

And different circumstances will make the signatures look different: if they're standing in a jostling crowd, trying to hold the book in one hand and sign it with the other, it's going to look different. Or if they're drunk. Or bone-tired. Or feeling frisky.

The signature of an artist on canvas almost always looks different than that with a pen.

Presidents and celebrities often used a machine called the autopen to sign letters and even some documents.

Proxy signatures are those done by a secretarial assistant or designated officer.

And, of course, beware of forgeries. It has been estimated that over 50% of all sports autographs are fakes [some say 80%].

And then, there are "experts" who will erroneously debunk the genuine either by mistake or ego.

When someone questions an autograph that you know is authentic, you have to adopt a stern and unforgiving attitude. Anything else is taken as a sign of weakness.

There is no way to "prove" that a signature is authentic, even with photographs of the author signing the book in question.

One of Picasso's admirers brought him a painting to authenticate, and Picasso said it was a forgery. "But Maestro Pablo! I saw with my own eyes that you made this one just last month!!"

"Ha!!! I can paint a fake Picasso as well as anybody!!!"

[Satnrose]

Message 296 of 353
latest reply

It has been estimated that over 50% of all sports autographs are forgeries.

"Signed" Elbert Hubbard Roycrofters books were usually signed by his secretaries.

1% of all JFK [Kennedy] signatures are authentic.

Jean Harlow could barely write her own name.
Her mother signed her autographs on almost all photos, etc.

Babe Ruth had assistants who could forge his name perfectly.

Almost all Presidential land grants from Andrew Jackson on are secretarially signed.

All Presidential autographs from JFK on are highly suspect.

The Beatles had a team of forgers.

Famous forgeries of the latter half of the 20th Century:
The Hitler Diaries
The Texas Declaration of Independence
The Mormon Forgeries aka the Mormon Murders
The Nixon Resignation Letter,
etc.

[Satnrose]

Message 297 of 353
latest reply

In the past, publishers would sometimes issue book club printings with "first edition" identification and/or priced dustjackets.

....which is a form of embezzlement. It cheats the author out of a portion of his royalties.

The usual deal between the author and publisher gives the author a % of every book sold of the regular edition and its reprints [sometimes on a sliding scale], but a set price on the book club edition. Every BCE sold for retail is free money to the publisher [none of which goes to the author].

The rediscovery of this practice was a minor scandal in publishing circles in the 1980's, but I never heard of anybody going to jail for it.

[Satnrose]

Message 298 of 353
latest reply

Resistance is futile. You have to go with what works. Do what you can with what you've got.

The usedbookbusiness is profoundly different than it was 10 years ago [update to 20 years ago], and most of those who could not adapt are out of it. Or impoverished. This business has always been an artificial construct, in terms of pure economics. It is based on subjective demand, unmeasurable to quantify. This is an alien concept to a marketplace where the standard is pork belly futures.

Anything that opens up more of the seller base is going to hurt all of us. Anything that increases the number of books available online is going to hurt all of us. There's only so much money to go round. There's only so much trust to go round. If there were more of the latter there'd be more of the former. eBay should be doing a lot more to build up consumer confidence in their product.

I like to maintain the delusion illusion that eBay works for me and not I it. But like it our not, we're in this boat together, and our parent company is eBay. If somebody gets something great here, they don't say "I got a great buy from dingalingadong on eBay!", they say "I got a great buy on eBay!!" And if they get screwed, they say "I got screwed on eBay". Every fraud on eBay, no matter how distant from your business, takes money out of your pocket.

[Satnrose]

Message 299 of 353
latest reply

Testing . . . 

Message 300 of 353
latest reply