cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From the Collected Works of Bookseller Hints

From the Collected Works of Bookseller Hints . . .

Most new bookdealers burn out within three years...

[Satnrose]

Message 1 of 353
latest reply
352 REPLIES 352

Re: From the Collected Works of Bookseller Hints

The LIFE magazines that depict the JFK assassination and its aftermath were kept as "collectibles" by millions of people. The result is that they've become the opposite of "collectible", i.e., "dead common". The same with most newspapers. However, the Dallas papers are still eagerly sought after.

The 1-volume GPO Warren Commission is not worthless, but close. They also did one that looks almost exactly the same but is in Russian.

The 27 volume set is often faded at the spines. Collectors pay a premium for those that are not. Amusingly, the cardboard box that the set came in adds a significant % to the value if present. So don't throw it away. A set still in the box that has never been opened would be worth a tidy sum......

Individual volumes are quite saleable because there are a number of incomplete sets out there.

[Satnrose]

Message 271 of 353
latest reply

Uncorrected proofs generally come first and have paper covers with lettering only on the cover (a crude paperback). They are distributed for correction purposes as well as to a small group of "interested parties".

ARCs [Advanced Reading Copy] are generally later in the publishing process and are more widely distributed -- to critics, bookstores, etc.

Confusion can easily arise. To some extent, they serve the same purpose -- which is to read for reaction and for revision (corrections). But with more modern books, the ARC is a marketing device, produced in larger numbers, often with glossy paperback covers.

Bear in mind that some small publishers may only produce one version of an uncorrected proof -- which doubles as an ARC.

ARCs also often have a note on them, sort of a disclaimer, say they are uncorrected proofs. That adds to the confusion.

[Psthomas]

Message 272 of 353
latest reply

When selling books on the Catholic faith, theology, liturgy, books on prayer, editions of Sacred Scripture, spiritual matters, etc. include in the description the Imprimatur.

This word placed at the beginning, usually on the copyright page, or at the end of certain things published indicates that the author has complied with the law of the Catholic Church, which requires that writings on given topics be submitted for examination.

"Nihil Obstat" and "Imprimatur" are official declarations that a book or pamphlet is free of doctrinal or moral error and assures your buyer that the book contains nothing contrary to Catholic faith.

Nihil Obstat is Latin for "nothing hinders the publication"
Imprimatur is Latin for "let it be printed."
Imprimi Potest is Latin for "it can be printed."

If the Catholic writing the book is a member of a religious order, "Imprimi Potest" is used; if a layperson, then "Imprimatur" is used.

[Lludwig]

Message 273 of 353
latest reply

One who dies with the most books, loses.....

Make sure your family knows what to do with your tomes.

[Satnrose]

Message 274 of 353
latest reply

If you pack your book in trash, it reflects badly.

[Satnrose]

Message 275 of 353
latest reply

The seller sets the price.

[Bookhall]

Message 276 of 353
latest reply

@lludwig wrote:

The seller sets the price.

[Bookhall]

I've noticed recently that eBay completed items are all over the place item to item.

And it doesn't matter what I'm selling. Some of it is condition, of course--and description. 

I've adopted a couple of selling strategies that keep me busy enough. I just sold a lot of 84 Agatha Christie books culled from a single donation of about 90 (duplicates removed). I got a little over a buck a book for them, and they were "tired" reading copies. We split that in half, and the library makes better money than they would selling them at their sale (if they sold). 

I try to go for the high end of whatever it is. I've sold Christie lots for as much as $5 ea, but they were FP in very good or better condition. 

As we've said forever: you can always lower the price but you can't raise it after it has sold.

Message 277 of 353
latest reply

Don't lose your perspective.

Being a bookdealer is not important unless you can make a difference.
Owning a valuable book is not important unless you have saved it from obscurity.
Knowledge is not important unless you use it.
Money is not important until you spend it.

The Book Board is not important unless you learn something.....

[Satnrose]

Message 278 of 353
latest reply

lludwig, how's that one go about if you have to think twice buy it?
Message 279 of 353
latest reply

Forest-pine: Per your request, a repost.

The middle has bottomed out.

Be very careful in your buying habits. The vast majority of what used to be good saleable stock has become overwhelming on the internet. The demand is not enough to absorb the supply. It doesn't matter how good the book is, it has to be scarce or rare, unusual or extraordinary, bizarre or far out, signed or sublime.

Above all, desireable.

I always used to say, "If you have to think twice, buy it!" But now you have to think thrice...

[Satnrose]

Message 280 of 353
latest reply

Thank you
Message 281 of 353
latest reply

Oh yeah and I like the 'anything can be anywhere' one too, lludwig. Thanks again for holding down the fort.
Message 282 of 353
latest reply

forest-pine - As you most likely know, "Anything can be anywhere" comes from CADILLAC JACK by Larry McMurtry. Satnrose always made sure to give credit on that. Re: 'holding down the fort' - my pleasure.

"...broken at front hinge..."

The outside is the "joint" and the inside is the "hinge" but I like to say "inner hinge" so the bibliographicallychallanged will know what I'm talking about.

Another repair that is relatively easy to fix. Take your rectangular strip and fold it in half longways and set it in between the spine and the backstrip and the hinge and the joint and glue it together being careful not to glue the endpapers together and yet still give the hinge flexibility. This sometimes requires holding it together while it sets and manipulating it so it doesn't "freeze" into position. Sometimes you have to carefully reset the broken endpapers. Use waxpaper to keep the endpapers from sticking together while it dries.

One step beyond all this is the "false backstrip" where you make a paper tube that fits inside the hollow between the backstrip and the spine and is glued all around.

[Satnrose]

Message 283 of 353
latest reply

Yeah, the enigmatic Larry McMurty in his Texas bookstore. I remember
Message 284 of 353
latest reply

@lludwig wrote:

"...broken at front hinge..."

The outside is the "joint" and the inside is the "hinge" but I like to say "inner hinge" so the bibliographicallychallanged will know what I'm talking about.

"Repairs that are relatively easy to fix" are out of my reach so my best bet is to learn to describe problems accurately.

Is there a difference between "broken at front inner hinge" and "cracked front gutter?" I guess "broken at front inner hinge" is more easily understood by the general book buying public, but do they both describe the same problem?

Also is it the cover that is broken at the front inner hinge, or the binding or the book? How would you describe various degrees of damage? Is there an online resource that describes various book frailties and terms to describe them?

Message 285 of 353
latest reply