cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Edition Very Hungry Caterpillar - Eric Carle

We collectively know that the first edition Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969 by World Publishing, with a Cleveland location (rather than New York). The first edition DJ price is at least $3.95, but uncertain if that is the exact price.

That's about all that is formally documented.

Does anybody have better/more information? What do you know of the first edition identification points for a Very Hungry Caterpillar?

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Re: First Edition Very Hungry Caterpillar - Eric Carle

Here's some more data from 1969 about Very Hungry Caterpillar, but I only have snippet information, not the full pages:

Publishers' Weekly, Vol. 196, Part 1, p. 86 listed the price as $4.25, $3.97 WLB [World Library Binding].

Horn Book, Volume 45, p. 573, also listed the price as $4.25, $3.97 WLB.

Announced prices are not necessarily the prices a book is actually issued at, but I have been wondering if this is a case where the publisher dropped the price after the initial release.

Message 46 of 56
latest reply

@oldbookshopnj wrote:

Here's some more data from 1969 about Very Hungry Caterpillar, but I only have snippet information, not the full pages:

Publishers' Weekly, Vol. 196, Part 1, p. 86 listed the price as $4.25, $3.97 WLB [World Library Binding].

Horn Book, Volume 45, p. 573, also listed the price as $4.25, $3.97 WLB.

Announced prices are not necessarily the prices a book is actually issued at, but I have been wondering if this is a case where the publisher dropped the price after the initial release.

I just came across a second (or third) edition book in an unclipped first edition dust jacket. The unclipped DJ has "$3.95" in the top right corner of the front flap, and "$3.91" in the bottom right corner. The book was never for sale at a retail store, but instead was gifted from a World Publishing employee to his nephew in the early 1970's.

I've suggested something rather unorthodox to the owner - that they document the provenance in order to explain the unique nature of the dust jacket. I doubt another exists - it has the review of VHC on the front flap, and a short bio of Eric Carle on the back flap, with no mention of later publishings.

The employee knew Eric Carle, so the book is inscribed personnally, with a small drawing. The second edition book with drawing is probably worth over $1,000; with the unique unclipped first edition dust jacket ... a lot, lot more.

Message 47 of 56
latest reply

@picture*books wrote:

I just came across a second (or third) edition book in an unclipped first edition dust jacket ...

Edition or printing?

Message 48 of 56
latest reply

@emmbook wrote:

@picture*books wrote:

I just came across a second (or third) edition book in an unclipped first edition dust jacket ...

Edition or printing?

I'm not quite certain which is proper, whether the book is the first printing of the second edition, or the second printing of the first edition.

There is no change in the content from the title page to the last page, so it is assumed both printings are from the same plates, both printed in Japan.

The only change is on the copyright page, where the "1 2 3 4 5" of the first printing of the first edition was removed, and a line for the trade ISBN and a line for the library ISBN added.

I am fairly certain that no second printings of the first edition were published with "2 3 4 5" (instead  of "1 2 3 4 5"), nor later printings of the first edition following that same convention.

Given that the same plates with the illustrative contents were used in both printings, I think second printing of the first edition is more accurate.

Message 49 of 56
latest reply

@picture*books wrote:

@emmbook wrote:

@picture*books wrote:

Edition or printing?

I'm not quite certain which is proper, whether the book is the first printing of the second edition, or the second printing of the first edition.

There is no change in the content from the title page to the last page, so it is assumed both printings are from the same plates, both printed in Japan.

The only change is on the copyright page, where the "1 2 3 4 5" of the first printing of the first edition was removed, and a line for the trade ISBN and a line for the library ISBN added.

I am fairly certain that no second printings of the first edition were published with "2 3 4 5" (instead  of "1 2 3 4 5"), nor later printings of the first edition following that same convention.

Given that the same plates with the illustrative contents were used in both printings, I think second printing of the first edition is more accurate.

Complicated printing history, to be sure. Glad to see you're assembling the info to make sense of it.

Message 50 of 56
latest reply

what if i have this book but doesnt have a number line says its published by the world publishing company 

Message 51 of 56
latest reply

Hello anyone,

I really would like some advice on my book. I recently acquired a copy that I believe is dated from 1969-74 but I am not sure. It is published by World Publishing - Times Mirror, has a logo and Collins is not mentioned. It has the code A3450 on the back and unclipped prices on the dust jacket of Library 3.91 and top right corner 3.97. The book has no numberline and only states New York and not Cleveland. It has 2 ISBN numbers on the publication page. On the spine it says 'World' only at the bottom. Inside the dust jacket covers (front) there is storyline writing (back) info and black and white picture of Eric Carle with family. It is in very good condition with very intact dust jacket. I am looking for more info and possibly value. Thank you

Message 53 of 56
latest reply

Can anyone give me information or if this is of anyvalue.  I have a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar that appears to have been binded improperly.  The front cover opens up to an upside down last page (the butterfly) and the back cover opens up to the publisher info page.  Half of the book is also upside down and the title isn't on the spine.

Someone mentioned that it was likely printed in the early 70's.

Is there any value or is it just a novelty?

Thanks!

20200512_091533.jpg

20200512_091555.jpg

Message 54 of 56
latest reply

Unlike stamps, books bound upside down are not of value. It is just a novelty. 

Message 55 of 56
latest reply

Thank you.  Then I will enjoy my Very Hungry and Upside Down Caterpillar.

Message 56 of 56
latest reply