cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collectible Childrens Books on eBay

As per cc's suggestion, a thread for relatively higher dollar children's books sold on eBay and the ensuing discussions.
Message 1 of 1,283
latest reply
1,282 REPLIES 1,282

Re: Collectible Childrens Books on eBay

@bookthink wrote:

Stan, are you saying that this book was misrepresented? Smiley Very Happy

For those with an interest, here's a link to my 2006 blog post on the first edition identification points for The Giving Tree.

Message 1171 of 1,283
latest reply

@picture*books wrote:

@bookthink wrote:

Stan, are you saying that this book was misrepresented? Smiley Very Happy

No Craig I am not. I'm just presenting the auction results and other salient information, and let others draw whatever conclusion they would like. I just hope the buyer does not think they bought a first edition because the seller said so on eBay.

Ironically, this is an instance where the book might be worth more if the DJ were price clipped.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could this be a true first?  It is "A Signed Copy" after all.  Smiley Very Happy

12717308_10208710792997485_4164483912913775767_n.jpg

Message 1172 of 1,283
latest reply

I think it might be.

It does have the holy shrinkwrap after all.

A preoccupation with the next world is a clear indication of an inability to cope credibly with this one.
Message 1173 of 1,283
latest reply

@picture*books wrote:
As per cc's suggestion, a thread for relatively higher dollar children's books sold on eBay and the ensuing discussions.

A very nice coat - haven't run across too many children's books which qualify for the thread wearing a Sangorski & Sutcliffe binding.

Item 321874454786 sold for $349.99 on Feb. 27, 2016

BROTHERS GRIMM FAIRY TALES Sangorski & Sutcliffe FINE SIGNED BINDING Antique vtg

Item Description:

"Household Stories
[COLLECTED FROM THE BROS: GRIMM. Translated from German by Lucy Crane. Illustrated by Walter Crane. Macmillan & Co. LTD. London; 1922. 7.5" x 5". 269 pages.]

SANGORSKI & SUTCLIFFE Signed Binding!

A wonderful book in a beautiful custom leather binding! Binding is signed by, the master bookbinders, Sangorski and Sutcliffe, gilt on the bottom edge of the inside cover. Bound in full green calf leather with small gilt tooled symbols and animals in the spine compartments, gilt borders on both inside and outside covers, and the pages are gilded on all sides. Illustrated with many full page plates and small printers devices at the beginning and ends of the chapters. Beautiful masterpiece of printing and bookbinding, that has withstood the test of time!"

Message 1174 of 1,283
latest reply

Item 252269691529 sold for $5,995 on Feb. 19, 2016

Winnie the Pooh First Limited Edition 350 SIGNED A.A. Milne Shepard 1st Ed 1926

Item Description:

"One of the most beloved children’s book of all time, here a very rare signed, limited edition in the even more rare dust jacket.

Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne.

London: Metheun, 1926.

Illustrated by Ernest Shepard.

First limited edition, signed by both Milne and Shepard!

Limited edition of 350 copies, this being number 147.

Printed on handmade paper.  Fold out map.

Quarto. Blue cloth spine over blue board.  Original, scarce dust jacket.  Jacket with usual browning to spine and folds extending slight into panels.  A few small tears and spine panel chipped.  Endpapers slightly toned.  Partly unopened.  Spine tight.  Overall a very good copy in original very good minus jacket."

Message 1175 of 1,283
latest reply

@picture*books wrote:

A first edition of Crockett Johnson's 1958 Harold at the North Pole sold recently on eBay. Johnson did a Harold book each year from 1955 to 1960, then did Harold's ABE in 1963, the seventh and final book in the series.

Item 222024991153 sold for Best Offer under $800 on Feb. 18, 2016

Harold at the North Pole by Crockett Johnson SIGNED by author 1st/1st 1958 HCDJ

Item Description:

"A rare find -- a first edition of Harold at the North Pole, the fourth in the Harold and the Purple Crayon series by Crockett Johnson. Signed and inscribed by the author.

The book itself is bright and tightly bound; it would almost look new except for one pinhole mark on the spine and scuffing along the top and bottom edges (see photos). The dust jacket has some holes on the spine, loss at top and bottom of spine and some tears along the bottom edge. Overall, though, the book is clean and bright and displays very well (in a mylar protector).

The DJ shows the $1.50 price and at the bottom of the front flap has the 40-80 and No. 8097-A of a true first printing. This is the only Harold series book I can find for sale that bears the author's signature - a special addition to any collection."

Message 1176 of 1,283
latest reply

@picture*books wrote:

A first edition of Crockett Johnson's 1958 Harold at the North Pole sold recently on eBay. Johnson did a Harold book each year from 1955 to 1960, then did Harold's ABE in 1963, the seventh and final book in the series.

Item 222024991153 sold for Best Offer under $800 on Feb. 18, 2016

The accepted offer was $600.

Message 1177 of 1,283
latest reply

@imagine.ink wrote:

Hello Spark,

Stan Zielinski (who posted many entries on this thread, kindly resurrected by Lyceumbooks) wrote the following a couple of years ago regarding first edition points for Babar books:

Hello,

I know just enough about the early Babar books to help flesh out what Craig has provided. In general, look for large size folio books (10 1/2" x 14 1/4") with the correct title listing. The title Zephir's Holiday is a key (see explanation, below), along with a book showing the Random House address at 457 Madison Avenue is published after 1946.

As Craig indicated, the first American printings of the first three Babar books were published by Smith & Haas, as follows:

1933 Story Of Babar
1934 Travels Of Babar
1935 Babar The King

Each of the above was originally issued in dust jackets with a $3.00 price, and were large folio size at 10 1/2" wide by 14 1/4" tall.

In 1936 Random House purchased Smith & Haas and issued the above books under the Random House imprint in the same folio size at 10 1/2" x 14 1/4", with dust jackets, at a price of $3.00. That same year Random House published the ABC Of Babar in the 10 1/2" x 14 1/4" folio size, issued in dust jacket with a $3.00 price.

In 1937, Random House published Zephir's Holiday in the same folio size in dust jacket with a price of $3.00; the first edition book has a blue cloth spine. In 1942 Zephir's Holiday was reissued under a new title, Babar And Zephir, so this is helpful clue to identify the publication date of the Babar books. Any book which lists Zephir's Holiday was published prior to 1942.

(to be continued)

A BSB associate asked about Babar, so I thought to post the rest of my Bookthink thread here.

==============================================================

Re: Babar

Postby StanZielinski on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:57 pm
Hello Nancy,

I discovered some additional information last night. The 1936 Horn Book Magazine, Fall issue, pg 320, has an advertisement for the Random House Babar books, as follows:

"These brand-new editions are complete in every detail. The pictures of Babar, the little elephant, and his friends are printed in five brilliant colors. Every word and illustration to be found in the original, higher-priced editions is in these handy, size 6 1/2" x 8 1/2" volumes. Now you can own all the Babar books. They cost only $1.00 each. Order them today."

Only the first three books are advertised. So these small size Babar editions were available in 1936 for $1.00 each; the slipcase set was available in 1938.

The $3.00 price of the large size Babar books is equivalent to about $50.00 in today's dollar. Considering the country was in the midst of the Great Depression in 1936, one can assume that not many were purchased at this higher price, and in part explains the need for Random House to make a more cost effective alternative.

On page 319 opposite the $1.00 Babar books, is a small ad for ABC Of Babar, "A unique alphabet play book. Pictures in 5 colors on every page. $1.50". Unfortunately the ad does not give the size of the book. The Kirkus review indicates the ABC Of Babar was published on August 21, 1936, which is consistent with the Fall issue of the Horn Book Magazine, so we can assume the $1.50 price is that of the first issue.

In any case, my previous post is in error when it comes to the ABC Of Babar. I have first edition copies of the other Random House Babar books, and all of them are the large folio size 10 1/2" x 14 1/4" with a dust jacket price of $3.00. I have been waiting patiently for a similar formatted ABC Of Babar to surface, and assumed it was the same format as its siblings. However, with only a $1.50 original price, it is doubtful that it was originally published in the large folio format, so I have been waiting patiently for nothing to surface, since none such exists.

The ad on page 319 explains the "Originally $1.50 now $1.00" on the flap of your DJ.

Doing some additional research, PBA Gallaries sold a copy in August, 2009 for $204. It was described as a first edition, without a dust jacket, and was 8¼ x 6¼. See here for the auction: http://www.pbagalleries.com/search/item.php?anr=201446

Obviously your book is more valuable than the one sold at PBA Gallaries, since your book and their book are probably the same, and you have the added attraction of the dust jacket.

So, the question remains, your copy is either a 1st issue book in a 2nd issue dust jacket (i.e. the first issue was the 6 1/2" x 8 1/2" size, but priced at $1.50) or a "First, Thus" (i.e. the first issue was another size, most likely 8 1/2" x 11 1/4", priced at $1.50, and your book is the first issue of this smaller size).

I'm sorry, but I do not know which it is. Over the next year I'll probably come across something which will be definite (i.e. finding a copy with the $1.50 on the DJ), but right now, I just don't know.

Note that if you do decide to sell the book, please feel free to use the information I've provided.

Lastly, my notes indicate the illustration for the letter 'N' would have appeal to collectors of African-American material of this era; it would be appreciated if you could confirm the this.

Message 1178 of 1,283
latest reply

Thanks Stan for reposting this article.

I have a copy of the ABC of Babar in my collection that has the $1.50 price on the jacket. The book is 6 1/2" by 8 1/2" and has a cloth spine rather than the paper spine that is on the $1.00 priced later copies. I also have a copy of the 14 1/2" Babar's Cousin with a $3.50 price on the front jacket flap. So I can confirm both of these titles.

My question is concerning the Random House folio editions of "The Story of Babar", "The Travels of Babar", and "Babar the King" sold for $3.00. I have never seen one of these titles and I wonder if anyone has actually seen a copy of any of these books. I have to wonder if these were just "Harrison Smith and Robert Haas" editions sold by Random house. It would not be a new thing for a publisher to sell left over stock from the previous publisher that was bought out. If not, they seem to be scarcer than the the Smith and Haas editions.

Russ Bernard

Message 1179 of 1,283
latest reply

I just listed a signed, ( Flat sig.) Of one of sendaks books. Starting bid, $31.00 measly bucks. No intrest. I am considering selling my signed , School days in disneyville, signed by disney. But whats the use????? Nothing selling for me.....Rubbish.......
Message 1180 of 1,283
latest reply

@picture*books wrote:

Rather surprised about this 1942 dust jacket-less book club copy of The Hobbit selling for $750. I often keep my nose firmly planted in the collectible children's book space, therefore please pardon my ignorance, but what is the highest regularly fetched price for a book club edition of any genre?

Item 331967558118 sold for $750 on Sept 12, 2016

The HOBBIT 1942 CHILDREN'S BOOK CLUB EDITION 1942

Item Description:

"Printed on war economy standard paper in 1942. These copies were taken from the 1st edition of the Hobbit (3rd impression) and therefore have the original text for "Riddles in the Dark" before this was altered in the 2nd edition to tie in with The Lord of The Rings.

This copy is worn but complete and undamaged.

Facsimile jacket included."

Message 1181 of 1,283
latest reply

@picture*books wrote:

A first edition copy of the 1960 Newbery Medal winning book Island of the Blue Dolphin sold recently on eBay for nearly $700. Nice listing by Bibliomonster, one of the BSB's longtime contributors.

The first edition Newbery Medal books have an avid collector base (appealing to elementary and middle school librarians and teachers), and even some of the recent winners have escalated in price due to short first print runs coupled with high demand. The Newbery collectors I've talked to are very passionate about their collections - I get the feeling their books will not re-enter the market for some time (i.e. the first edition books are not bought for potential price appreciation). But what do I know?

Item 112049490823 sold for $687 on Nov. 18, 2016

1960 ISLAND OF BLUE DOLPHINS by O'DELL SIGNED ! 1ST DJ NEWBERY MEDAL INDIAN GIRL

Item Description:

"ISLAND OF THE BLUE DOLPHINS

Boston. Houghton Mifflin Company. 1960. First Edition. Octavo (5.75 in x 8.5 in). 184 pp. Bound in original tan cloth with blue spine and brown embossed image of the protagonist Indian girl on top panel. Complete with original unclipped ('$2.75') dust jacket. (no medal or sticker residue whatsoever) Slight toning to jacket spine. Contents clean and sharp. Hinges sound. Overall, fine.

THIS COPY INSCRIBED BY THE AUTHOR TO ANOTHER AUTHOR 'JOHN' ON FFEP. A RARE, FINE INSCRIBED EXAMPLE OF THIS HARD TO FIND NEWBERY TITLE.

- THE NEWBERY MEDAL WINNER FOR 1961 -"

Message 1182 of 1,283
latest reply

@picture*books wrote:

A nice first edition copy of Walter Farley's 1941 classic The Black Stallion sold recently on eBay for $3,850.

Item 152356447937 sold on Dec. 21, 2016 for $3,850

THE BLACK STALLION "First Printing" 1941 FINE in FINE ORIGINAL DJ Walter Farley

Item Description:

"Walter Farley. THE BLACK STALLION. New York: Random House, (1941). Illustrations by Keith Ward. First Edition, first printing (so stated). FINE copy in a close-to-FINE ORIGINAL PRICED (not clipped) DUST JACKET with all the correct first issue points. It has a bit of spine fade but otherwise is remarkably unrubbed, without tears or chips. No repairs of any kind. You're unlikely to find a better copy."

Message 1183 of 1,283
latest reply

A surprisiing $800 on eBay for a first edition copy of Judy Blume's 1972 Otherwise Known As Sheila The Great. There looks to be two other first edition copies on the market.

For those with a bias toward children's books, in your future scouting for books please consider first editions of Blume's early works. For those of you who don't know of Blume, courtesy of Wikipedia:

"Blume's books have sold over 82 million copies and they've been translated into 32 languages. Judy Blume has won more than 90 literary awards, including three lifetime achievement awards in the US. The ALA Margaret A. Edwards Award recognizes one writer and a particular body of work for "significant and lasting contribution to young adult literature". Blume won the annual award in 1996 citing the single book Forever, published in 1975. According to the citation, "She broke new ground in her frank portrayal of Michael and Katherine, high school seniors who are in love for the first time. Their love and sexuality are described in an open, realistic manner and with great compassion."

In April 2000 the Library of Congress named her to its Living Legends in the Writers and Artists category for her significant contributions to America's cultural heritage. In 2004 she received the annual Distinguished Contribution to American Letters Medal of the National Book Foundation as someone who "has enriched [American] literary heritage over a life of service, or a corpus of work."

Item 162242289741 sold for $800 on Dec. 21, 2016

OTHERWISE KNOWN AS SHEILA THE GREAT Judy Blume 1st Edition Signed Copy Printing

Item Description:

"Extremely Rare first edition signed by author copy.

Please see photos for further description and measurements."

Message 1184 of 1,283
latest reply

Back on April 20, 2008, Stan, you posted the following on this thread:

Little Golden Book "The Poky Little Puppy/WDJ" 1st ed.
Item number: 310026050719 sold for $665 on Mar. 1, 2008

$665 is the highest I can recall for an LGB on eBay.

Poky Little Puppy
topped Publisher's Weekly 2001 List of All-Time Bestselling Children's Books (several of the Harry Potter books have topped 14 million now), which increases it's desirability.

From the auction description:

"#8 ."THE POKY LITTLE PUPPY' 1ST EDITION 1942. Exterior condition of the book and dust jacket is EXCELLENT and has been professionally covered with mylar.The interior is excellent, free of any markings.. No name in owners box."

I thought you might be interested to know that I just sold a 1st Edition of the same book without DJ for $150.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302174008443?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

That goes to show how much the dustjacket adds to the value of a scarce children's book ... in this case, approximately 75% of the value of the copy that sold for $665 in 2008 was due to the presence of the rare DJ. 

Message 1185 of 1,283
latest reply