cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collectible Childrens Books on eBay

As per cc's suggestion, a thread for relatively higher dollar children's books sold on eBay and the ensuing discussions.
Message 1 of 1,283
latest reply
1,282 REPLIES 1,282

Re: Collectible Childrens Books on eBay

Wow. That is 90% of aleph-bet's asking price. Impressive.
Message 1141 of 1,283
latest reply

Margaret Wise Brown first editions published pre-posthumously continue to do well. What is the antonym of posthumous?

Item 321714912984 sold for $375 on April 15, 2015

When the Wind Blew by Margaret Wise Brown First Ed in Dj 1937 Illus by Slocum

Item Description:

"First edition - first printing, 1937. A fine copy in a very good to fine dust jacket."

Message 1142 of 1,283
latest reply

@picture*books wrote:

Margaret Wise Brown first editions published pre-posthumously continue to do well. What is the antonym of posthumous?

Antemortem.

Message 1143 of 1,283
latest reply

Stan, the Best Offer sale price was $700 for this. Quite a discount.

Message 1144 of 1,283
latest reply

Referring to the Scarry book, BTW.

Message 1145 of 1,283
latest reply

Hello there, I wonder if you can help: do you happen to know the first issue points for the dustjacket of Goodnight Moon please? Susanna

Message 1146 of 1,283
latest reply

@11northview wrote:

Hello there, I wonder if you can help: do you happen to know the first issue points for the dustjacket of Goodnight Moon please? Susanna

See this thread about Goodnight, Moon from 2009.

Message 1147 of 1,283
latest reply

A nice Cupples & Leon boxed set from 1917 recently sold on eBay for $176, including the Little Red Hen toy, and associated book, illustrated by Johnny Gruelle. I find it interesting that a Johnny Gruelle book was published with an accompanying toy a couple of years before he started his Raggedy Ann and Andy books and dolls.

All three books in nice shape with original publisher's dust jackets. The Gruelle Little Red Hen books is probably worth more than the purchase price of the entire set. Aleph-Bet has had these Cupples & Leon boxed sets for sale in the past, with toy they usually are in the $500 to $800 range.

Item 251889073639 sold for $176 on April 21, 2015

Little Red Hen Gift Box / 3 Books & Little Red Hen Celluloid Figurine 1914-17

Item Description:

"All About Series
The Little Red Hen Gift Box
The Little Red Hen and Two Other Favorite Books for Little Tots.
This Box Contains Three Books and a Toy LITTLE RED HEN
Cupples & Leon Company, Publishers
New York

Little Red Hen Herself and Three Popular Books For Kiddies
All three rear covers of the DJ lists Books for Young Children
The All About Series
12 in Series, starting with All About Peter Rabbit and ending with All About Peter Pan.
C&L Co.'s Peter Rabbit Series

3 titles listed starting with Peter Rabbit and the Fairies and ending with PR in Mother Goose Land.

Illustrated by:    Gruelle, John B.
Main title:    All About the Little Small Red Hen
Published/Created:    New York, Cupples & Leon [1917]

Pictured by:    Harley, Dick and Kirby-Parrish, L.
Main title:    All Aboout The Three Little Pigs
Published/Created:    New York, Cupples & Leon [1914]

Pictured by:    Kirby-Parrish, L. & Hartley, Dick
Main title:    All About The Three Bears
Published/Created:    New York, Cupples & Leon [1914]

Description
    48 p. illus. (Color and B&W) "Little Small Red Hen" & "The Three Bears"
    47 p. illus. (Color and B&W) "The Three Little Pigs"

Binding VG-, Minor edge & shelf wear. Several full hinge cracks in each book. Some minor page soil.
Hinge gutters browned on "Little Small Red Hen" & "The Three Bears"
DJ VG-, Minor edge wear & soil.

DJ on "The Three Bears" has a 1 1/2" tear at top left front corner and several smaller edge tears.
The All About Series list on Copyright page starts with "All About Peter Rabbit" and ends with "All About The Night Before Christmas" including 10 titles in this listing.

Included is Little Red Hen Celluloid Rattle Figurine in Very Good condition, no cracks or breaks, still rattles and color still Bright after 100 Years!!!
Original box in worn, torn and soiled; hole punctured in bottom section, has been taped on two corners with tap residue. Former owners name in pencil on front label."

Message 1148 of 1,283
latest reply

A nice copy of a first edition Harold's Trip To The Sky sold recently on eBay for $525. Nice photographs of book and dust jacket.

Item 301582626993 sold for $525 on Apr. 6, 2015

Harold's Trip to the Sky Crockett Johnson 1957 1st ed hardcover in dust jacket

Item Description:

"Harold's Trip to the Sky by Crockett Johnson

1957  Harper & Brothers
very good condition

The rare third book in the Crockett Johnson Harold books in the extremely rare dust jacket.  Original price of $1.50 is present on top corner of front flap.  Clipped bottom corner of front flap.
Book and dust jacket are in very good condition."

Message 1149 of 1,283
latest reply

A lively auction for this early Bruno Munari children's book, with four bidders over $150 and a final value of $847.

Item 301618520422 sold for $847 on May 10, 2015

Rare-1942-Bruno-Munari-Abecedario-Di-Munari-Italian-Alphabet-Picture-Book-Artist

Item Description:

"This auction is for the italian abc picture book pictured in this auction. Estate find the book is in overall good condition showing some wear. There is some some soiling to the covers and minor soling to the pages. There is some edge wear and paper loss to the corners of the cover and a couple pages. The binding has come loose and the most of the pages are loose from each other"

Questions and answers about this item

Q. Hello, I'm interested in this book very much. This book is page 40 in total, does it not have missing page? Kind regards, Yo**bleep**eru.

A: There are 20 total pages so if you are counting each side of each page there are 40 pages. All of the Italian alphabet letters are present

Message 1150 of 1,283
latest reply

If that book is in good condition, I severely undergrade ...

Good disclosure but, but "Good"?

Message 1151 of 1,283
latest reply

This book is for sale or donation to the right institution. 19May15.

Message 1152 of 1,283
latest reply

Not something I collect, but something someone, sometime, somewhere on the BSB might find of interest, a copy of the Mickey Mouse Magazine sold earlier this spring for a sizable $10,200.

Item 151645865685 sold for $10,200 on Apr. 17, 2015

Mickey Mouse Magazine - Vol. 1, No. 1 - January 1933

Item Description:

"The Mickey Mouse Magazine - Vol. 1, No. 1 - January 1933 is a sixteen page book, in a hard cover binding, that measures approximately 5 ¾ x 8 ¼ inches. It was published by Kamen-Blair, Inc. by permission of Walt Disney Enterprises, Ltd. It was produced by The Printing House of Leo Hart at Rochester, New York. The book is in very good condition, with most of the pages unopened.

The book is printed with simple text and drawings and with limited use of color. The illustrations above show:

The front cover
The Title Page
Pages 4 and 5 of the text
Page 16 – an advertisement
Colophon

The book appears to be rare, with no dealer offerings listed on the ViaLibri on-line database and the OCLC WorldCat having no library listings for this First Edition book. There are library listings for later editions of the Mickey Mouse Magazine covering the period of June 1935 to 1937."

Question & Answer

Q: I am a long-time collector and had a couple of questions about your lot. The first issue was just a regular magazine but you mention that this one is a hard cover edition. So, do you think it has been restored? Or do you think it is a facsimile? Or do you think it is one of the 200 copies on special paper and that it was published in a hard cover format in 1933? I guess I should also ask iif you think this book looks, feels, and even smells like it is from 1933 or do yu think it is some kind 9f newer reprint? The fact that it is a hard cover edition is why I am asking the questions--I am not familiar with that variation but can imagine that the 200 special copies might have been published that way. Finally, if you think it is the real thing, I would be interested in buying it if you would like t end the auction now. Thank you for your answers to all of my question on this very interesting item.

A: Thank you for your interest in the item. Perhaps the best way to answer your questions is to start by saying that my associate, who is a retired rare book dealer, purchased the booklet directly from the widow of Leo Hart, the Printer, many years ago. Since there is no number or signature on the colophon, I suspect that this copy may have been a Printer's copy - which could possibly explain any differences in cover material. To the best of my and my associate's knowledge the book is not a restoration or reproduction or any kind of reprint. Since there has already been at least one bid placed for this book, I will let the listing continue until its scheduled end.

Message 1153 of 1,283
latest reply

Even with this minimalist description, this Nancy Drew book sold today for over $4,000, with 22 bids and 4 bidders over $1,000.

I am not a Children's Series book collector, so do not know the market value of this book - there are no first edition copies on the market (only the English first). Is this book resaleable at this price, or is this a collector bidding war price?

Item 321770557946 sold for $4,302 on Jun. 10, 2015

Nancy Drew Mystery Stories At The Lilac Inn Carolyn Keene DJ 1930 HC 1st Ed book

Item Description:

"We are pleased to offer this 1930 edition of the Nancy Drew Mystery Stories : The Hidden Staircase. The book retains its original dust jacket. Please see the photos for the condition of the DJ and book. There is water damage and wear & tear but overall intact. A nice addition to your book or Nancy Drew collection! "

Message 1154 of 1,283
latest reply

Just want to thank you for all your great posts regarding collectible childrens books.

Message 1155 of 1,283
latest reply