cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Books with no ISBN, Upc, or price

While I was listing some books on Ebay, I came across a hardback copy of Danielle Steele's "Heartbeat." When I looked inside, I could find no ISBN, no UPC, and no price listed anywhere. I can find no similiar listings on ebay nor any information on the web that matches my copy of this book. The only information that I have is a publication year and the publishers name. The book was published in 1991 (no month listed) by Delacort Press. The color of this book does not match any other pics that I can find. If anyone enlighten me as to why a book published in 1991 would not have this information printed I would be greatly pleased. I plan to continue researching this issue and would appreciate any insights that anyone might be able to provide me with.

Thanks,

Booklady256

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

there's always an exception--and the opinion of the author about her book is what makes this the exception. If it were worth the paper it's printed on, in terms of literary merit, it wouldn't be worth much.

We have a guy who does flea market stuff. Buys us out of Roberts, Macomber, Steel and such in decent condition at 3/$1 or a bag and sells them for a buck a piece.

I've never seen this title in the wild. I'd guess it was a very short run.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Heartbeat is by Danielle Steel (no E at end) and was first published by Delacorte (E at end) in 1991. There are many listed on ebay, the river, and other book selling sites. ISBN: 0385299087

Did you look at the back of the DJ to see if the ISBN is listed there? Sometimes the book has already been printed with the copyright date but the ISBN has not been issued and it is added to the DJ.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I just noticed that you also said there was not a price.  If you mean there is no price on the dust jacket it is possible that the copy you have is  book club. Did you check the back of the cover at the bottom near the spine for a blind stamp?

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Steel is hardly worth the time for research, IMO.  She started writing in 1973 and continues to this day, so it's niether a very early nor very late novel.

Lludwig is right. It is likely a book club.  Amazon has them starting at a penny, for the hardback.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I think your book club theory is correct. This book does not have a dust jacket, and I checked for a stamp. Thank you for your input on this matter. 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I have to agree that this book is not worth research. It wasn't worth reading either.  For some reason, the first book of hers that I read 18 years ago was enough for me. Thank you for your reply 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Some of her early work is worth something--not much. I sold a first printing, ex-library of her poetry published in the late 60's (I think, it was 12 years ago) for $15 which is like 50 bucks or so today.

Which doesn't mean anybody would pay that much for it today.

We sell dozens and dozens of her books in MMPB during our library sales, and always end up with at least a shelf and a half of them every 6 months, keeping zero for the next sale.

Nora Roberts, anything Harlequin (and all their imprints) are basically worthless. I've had several huge lots up for a while with only a single bite. Will be taking them down and throwing them into a flea market tray before much longer.  The popcorn romances (Harlequine, Love Inspired, etc) we sell in bags of 20 for a dollar.

Popular at the right price.
But the right price is hardly worth the trouble.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Re: Nora Roberts - Learned about this book many years ago - a paperback worth picking up! The info below is from the 11th Annual BookFinder Report (2013) of Out-of-Print and in Demand. Check out the prices on the River as well as ebay. It was published as a paperback but in the UK a hardcover was published by  Severn House ( 1984)

Promise Me Tomorrow
by Nora Roberts
Pocket Books; New York, NY 1984
Paperback, First Edition
296 p. ; 18 cm.

"Described by some as the worst thing Nora Roberts ever wrote, Promise me Tomorrow has been out of print since this first publication, and will probably stay that way for the rest of eternity. Roberts has gone on record to say that this novel is so bad that she will never allow it to be republished, and that her fans should probably avoid it. That however has not stopped this novel from being a mainstay on the Book Finder Report, or from completest collectors regularly paying over $100 to aquire a copy."

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

there's always an exception--and the opinion of the author about her book is what makes this the exception. If it were worth the paper it's printed on, in terms of literary merit, it wouldn't be worth much.

We have a guy who does flea market stuff. Buys us out of Roberts, Macomber, Steel and such in decent condition at 3/$1 or a bag and sells them for a buck a piece.

I've never seen this title in the wild. I'd guess it was a very short run.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I have sold more Nora Roberts paperbacks than any other book on eBay. I would love to open my own bookstore one day. First I need to learn about the value of my collection. I have some really old books...mostly western. I just don't know how to price them. 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

After I posted I realized that I should have included the notation of "exception to the rule of Nora Roberts". I posted the info and gave the title of the book just in case anyone came across it and would know that it was worth picking up. It is 'a book that looks like nothing.'

I know of one person who has sold the book twice. She has more patience than I do in digging through romance paperbacks and her efforts have paid off richly.  

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

booklady256 - When I first started selling books on ebay in 1998, I was bitten by the 'would love to open a bookstore' bug. One evening my spouse and I were out with another couple and I was talking books, books, and more books. I said that I would love to open a bookstore. The husband, who is a lawyer and is from an old Philadelphia bookselling family, said "Opening a bookstore is a sure path to bankruptcy."

That is not to say that it can not be done, but from what I understand most independent bookstores today rely on selling on-line to help pay the rent, insurance, etc. and even then many independent bookstore owners have other income such as from a spouse and/or another job. Another exception would be very high end bookstores where it is by appt only! LOL

One of the maxims re: books -  'just because it is old does not mean it is valuable. ' As far as pricing the westerns you have, have you checked to see what they are selling for on ebay (completed sales) and  the prices on the River as well as other bookselling services? Remember that unless you are checking completed sales on ebay, the price on other sites is what sellers want for a book sitting on their shelf. It doesn't mean that it will sell at that price.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

What is River? I have not heard of it before. I always look to see what they are listed for if anyone else 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

River is a code name for another site:  the big river in South America is the Amazon. 

ABE is Advanced Book Exchange

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Lol...cant believe I didn't get that. Feel like an idiot now.  Not too fond of Amazon...hardly ever use it

Message 15 of 15
latest reply