Ask any question about any book Part II

satnrose
Guide
Ask
Message 1 of 4,794
latest reply
4,793 REPLIES 4,793

Back on track. I have a Rand McNally children's book (The Runaway Airplane) that's dated 1943 (in roman numerals). The lower right-hand corner of the copyright page reads 'CS 7-43'. I'm assuming that's July of 1943. What does the CS mean?
Message 91 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
tjmonty: I would presume it is a much later reprint.
You might be able to find out when in an Asimov bibliography.

rain5580 : It's a "production code" but I don't know what it means.

If I had to guess,
I would guess
that it identifies which printing plant it was produced at.

Always remember:
"Publishers do what they do because it is convenient for them, not for us."
Message 92 of 4,794
latest reply

fishinjenny
Enthusiast
Hi all,
I have a beautiful Black's Law Dictionary. It is a seventh edition. It is in mint condition. Any tips before I list this one. I want to make sure it does well. Thank you! Jenny
Message 93 of 4,794
latest reply

jrwsales:

The original manuscript of Franklin's "Hints for Conversation" was apparently in the possession of the Earl of Dartmouth, but I can't find any indication that it had separate publication.

It's mentioned in quite a few biographies of Franklin and scholarly works--do a Google search:

Franklin "Hints for Conversation"
Message 94 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
fishinjenny: List it in Books: Nonfiction: Law
Message 95 of 4,794
latest reply

sagesaucer
Enthusiast
I have a book - Britains Sea Kings and Sea Fights, I know it is missing a coloured plate frontispiece and the index but appears complete in the text. The other (3) copies I can find listed claim to have 760 (inc index) pages yet mine only has 442, it definitely starts on page one and as I said - appears complete, ending on page 442. I can't see that, although the binding is loose, there are over 300 pages of index etc missing?? Any ideas?
Message 96 of 4,794
latest reply

sagesaucer:

I can't find anything in catalogues--is this a Cassell's edition, and does it appear to be from the early 1900's?
Message 97 of 4,794
latest reply

Looking in OCLC (library holdings) the copies all have 760 pages. Are you sure the book hasn't been rebound?
--
Jonathan Grobe
Message 98 of 4,794
latest reply

sagesaucer
Enthusiast
It is Cassells and I'm as sure as I can be judging by the condition, style and illustrations, that it hasn't been rebound. It certainly looks early 1900s to me.
Message 99 of 4,794
latest reply

sagesaucer:

Apparently it was originally issued as a monthly--see this Cassell's ad from 1900, and then in 1901 it was advertised as a "complete volume."

Original serial publication does suggest that an incomplete group might have been bound or that the original owner might have had it bound in two volumes. I think you may need to locate a comparison copy.
Message 100 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
Is it in double columns?
Message 101 of 4,794
latest reply

Question on Uncle Sam's School Songs. Would this have possiblities for auction? Would this have been a salesman sample?

The book is Uncle Sam's School Songs 1897. It's only about 4" x 3-3/4" and paperback.

I found some at e-bay stores, but are traditional size.
Thanks for any help
Message 102 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
jgebhar : I do not know.
Message 103 of 4,794
latest reply

Do you think the best category to list something like this would be under Books, Antiqu... &... ??
Maybe I'll wait until e-bay has a special "discounted" price day to try this one.
Message 104 of 4,794
latest reply

sagesaucer
Enthusiast
#99 & # 100
Thanks for your replies, yes it is in double columns, I think it might be a job to locate a comparison copy. I think it likely that this was a modification, I shall have to try and find out the number of chapters in the 3 volumes I have discovered, that might help.
Thank you very much for your ideas.
Message 105 of 4,794
latest reply