Ask any question about any book Part II

satnrose
Guide
Ask
Message 1 of 4,794
latest reply
4,793 REPLIES 4,793

Rain: Hang on to that. Mr. Gaiman often shows up at Comicons & SF events. (Had an gorgeous first American Gods that I forgot to take the the last one I attended in SD. Was NOT going to stand in that line just to get a closer look at his famous leather jacket!)

lakitla : Thanks for the Bud Plant suggestions. I have, of all things, a BFA in sequential art (comic books!) and I know I've heard his name before.

A couple years ago I attended Fiddler's Green! There were only 300 people there. It was amazing. I even had dinner with Charles Vess. And did I bring the stupid signature pages? No. Of course I forgot them.

(Actually if you look at auction photos from the con, you'll see me "modeling" a Jill Thompson leather jacket while Neil acted as auctioneer.

/bragging)
Message 76 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
tjmonty : A lot of modern book clubs look like first editions.

Does the dj have a price?

Does it say "Selection of the Book of the Month Club"
or just "Book Club Edition"?
Message 77 of 4,794
latest reply

Hi Satnrose.

I have a copy of a book called Halas Hales Hales Owen by F & K. M. Somers. Published by H. Parks Limited, Hales Owen in 1932. I can't seem to find a copy of it anywhere online at the moment, but I do remember seeing a copy on abe a couple of years ago at 100.00 or somewhere thereabouts.

Where do you think I should put a price range? I figure I'll put it up on Ebay British Edition as it's the record of a town there.

Thanks for your time.
Message 78 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
lahouser: I do not know. But list it under
Antiques: Books: English

and include some or a lot of the text from this wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halesowen
Message 79 of 4,794
latest reply

tjmonty
Enthusiast
satnrose:

No price on DJ, and it says Book Club Edition.
( I paid .50 for it.)
Message 80 of 4,794
latest reply

lakitla
Enthusiast
Rain: it's driving me nuts! What is BFA? I've been running the Vertigo titles through my head and can't hit on a match. Clue me in wontcha.

Dinner w/Charles Vess would be ay-mazing. Also, I remember that auction. Specifically, whining to my best gal pal about how I was too old to buy (well, wear) the Despair Docs.

And back to the threads original purpose. I have a question. I am looking for the first issue points on The Bat-Poet by Randall Jarrell with Sendak illustrations. It's priced $2.75 and has the numbers '74762' on the front flap. Anyone?
Message 81 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
tjmonty: Yup. Book club.

Take it out in the back yard, soak it with lighter fluid,
set it ablaze
and offer it up as a virgin sacrifice to the Gods of the First Edition.
Message 82 of 4,794
latest reply

Satnrose, your help please. Title YOUR HIT PARADE & AMERICAN TOP 10 HITS... 1935-1994. Edited by Bruce C Elrod, "4th Edition, Second Printing, 500 copies" (number line agrees). This is a 11.5" x 8.75" x 2" Hardcover (sans DJ) behemoth. ISBN 1560750375 (this Ed. only).

Searching, I find a very few copies, and none of this Edition. Asking price around $125.00 for earlier Editions. The River even shows as 'no copies available'.

Was this on the gone bye-bye Part I? What to do, what to do? It will be eBay, and two categories, but is there enough interest to support starting it at $100.00?

The things a girl finds when digging through sheet music! (I bought a carton half full for #10.00.)

Taj
Message 83 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
tajfellion :

I
don't think it will do well
on eBay,

but what the hell,
might as well
try
Message 84 of 4,794
latest reply

Thanks, you're speedy tonite! At what I got it for, just about anything will be a bonus!

I see the Part I now, it's back or I just overlooked it. Good, I never printed "the list".

Taj
Message 85 of 4,794
latest reply

Rain: it's driving me nuts! What is BFA? I've been running the Vertigo titles through my head and can't hit on a match. Clue me in wontcha.

Dinner w/Charles Vess would be ay-mazing. Also, I remember that auction. Specifically, whining to my best gal pal about how I was too old to buy (well, wear) the Despair Docs.

lakitla :You were THERE?! O man, how crazy! Wow, maybe I have a photo of you somewhere. That con was so amazing, wasn't it?

No, haha, a BFA is a Bachelor of Fine Arts. (To most, anyway ;))

Sorry about the hijack.
Message 86 of 4,794
latest reply

tjmonty
Enthusiast
Satnrose:
Cool.
I suppose my 1950 I Robot by Asimov should join it?
That one says it's a "Science Fiction Book Club Selection," and has a $3.95 price listed on a clipped dj.
Sounds as though it'll be a hot time in Mantorville,MN until I get some of this figured out.
Message 87 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
"Book Club Selection" or "Selection of the Book of the Month Club" on the dj

do not mean that that book is a Book Club book.
Message 88 of 4,794
latest reply

lakitla
Enthusiast
BFA. Oh geeeezzzz. Duh! I see the word 'comic' and my brain just shuts down. I've been comic geek since my first crush on Peter Parker.

Sorry, wasn't there. The auction was on ebay and the boots were all over the net for a week or so ahead of time. Wish I had been though. Small gatherings like that are always the best source of three hour conversations in which no-one gets bored. Lovely!

BTW - Comic stuff often gets overlooked at sales. Even hard cover compilations. You have to know your stuff (not just the stuff you like) but it's nice to have a profitable little sub-genre that gets ignored by others.
Message 89 of 4,794
latest reply

tjmonty
Enthusiast
Satnrose

Ok....I was hoping you would come back with something like that because of the questions you asked earlier.

The copyright says 1950, but the dj says "Long out of print and in great demand,here again is the famous science fiction classic-" So what's up with that?
Message 90 of 4,794
latest reply