Guide
Ask
Message 1 of 4,794
latest reply
4,793 REPLIES 4,793

Ask any question about any book Part II

extra.laki
Enthusiast
Rain: The illustrator of that particular book (Charles Harper) is more collectible than the Giant Golden Books themselves. (Books are collectible for many, many reasons. Finding what makes an individual book special helps you price it well.)

You might want to try a search on Abe with no title, Provensen as the author, Simon & Schuster as the publisher, the date set between 1940 - 1960, and the first edition button checked. This will give you a feel for the price range of your book.

You have a GREAT book there. Not only will you eventually get a nice sum for it, but it will really help you learn how to research desirability. Everything this book has taught you already will be used nearly every day of your life as a book seller.
Message 46 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
debsfinebooks: Always start high

except when you have a sure thing, like THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA.
Message 47 of 4,794
latest reply

debsfinebooks
Enthusiast
Thanks for your help, Joel,

Think I will do that for 10 days, with a subtitle. I see several references about this guy and his genealogy online, so don't know if there is an interest in the book too any more.
Message 48 of 4,794
latest reply

flax231:

Look in ebay completed auctions for sets of Harvard Classics. I do not think the first edition carries any particular premium.
Message 49 of 4,794
latest reply

OLDBOOKSHOPNJ:

Thank you. I've asked numerous sellers of The Harvard Classics about these and no one seems to know. I've also looked them up on used.addall.com. No matches to this set. Lots of alledged 1st edition green sets and maroon sets but none that match mine. I've seen sets of what the sellers claim are 1st editions go for as little as $111.00 and up to $2400.00. Thus the quandry! I hate to list them and get next to nothing if they actually have some value.
Message 50 of 4,794
latest reply

flax231 :

There appear to be wide regional differences in the desirability of the Harvard Classics--in this part of the country, most stores don't buy them at all, and , if they accidentally acquire a set, they sell it very cheaply.

There is, however, an ebay market for complete sets.
Message 51 of 4,794
latest reply

Here's something I've been stewing about for years. Neil Gaiman's Angels & Visitations, in true first edition (on Dreamhaven), tends to be worth a lot (relatively speaking). I have something a little different: the unbound, uncut signature pages of the true first edition. When the book was first released, 75 of these were sold as promotional dealies for the book.

I haven't been able to find any mention of them on the Internet at all, and when I called Dreamhaven to ask about them the woman was all mysterious and mum.

Long question short, what would something like this sell for? I've been sitting on them for years.

(Figuratively.)
Message 52 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
rain5580 : Is there a cover page, or special binding or anything
to make it look different than a book without its covers?
Message 53 of 4,794
latest reply

OLDBOOKSHOPNJ:

Thanks again. I searched the net again last night and from all I can find out you are right about value on The Harvard books. I aquired them, along with some old 1800's history, law, philosophy and gardening books, for $9.00 from a library sale. I was told they were either donated by or came from the estate of the last surviving lawyer of the famous Nazi war criminal trials, who lived and taught at a private college in my area of Va. No proof that's where they cam from though. If their only value is a couple hundred bucks or less I'll probably keep them as they provide a lot of good reading.
Message 54 of 4,794
latest reply

satn : There's a slip which came (loose) with the signatures that reads, "Neil Gaiman (picture of book cover) Angels & Visitations / Unbound, Uncut, Signature Pages / Limited to Seventy-Five Sets ~ $10.00"
Message 55 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
Cool.

I couldn't find anything. You'll have to swag it.
Message 56 of 4,794
latest reply

Yeah, I've been looking for years. I have a devious half-as*sed plan to have it signed by Neil and all the artists. But then I'd have to ask him to inscribe it to "eBay". 😉

I wonder if there's some formula to calculating an asking price... like finding the highest-priced bound copy, and doubling it! :^O
Message 57 of 4,794
latest reply

tjmonty
Enthusiast
Hello'
Would you please give me some advice on what Textbooks would be worthwhile to bring to auction? The Goodwill store in a major medical city has quite a bit of newer medical textbooks. What should I look out for, and what should I avoid?
Message 58 of 4,794
latest reply

Jack London The sea-Wolf, Macmillan, "Published October 1904, Reprinted October" Is this the second state of the first? Bibliographical info on the web seems somewhat confusing. A seller lists the second printing as published in November.
Message 59 of 4,794
latest reply

lakitla
Enthusiast
Rain: Hang on to that. Mr. Gaiman often shows up at Comicons & SF events. (Had an gorgeous first American Gods that I forgot to take the the last one I attended in SD. Was NOT going to stand in that line just to get a closer look at his famous leather jacket!)

Also, you might want to try dropping an email to Bud Plant's shop. (http://budplant.com) While they primarily specialize in comic & illustrated work, Gaimen is enough of a cross-over that they might have some info. Sadly Bud Plant no longer runs the shop but those who do are both knowledgeable & helpful.

And speaking of Bud Plant - You might want to put this amazing & delightful resource of illustrator biographies in your bookmarks.
http://www.bpib.com/illustra.htm
Message 60 of 4,794
latest reply