satnrose
Guide
Ask
Message 1 of 4,794
latest reply
4,793 REPLIES 4,793

Ask any question about any book Part II

Haha, I don't know, I thought maybe you had a magic trick. 😉

16 mo (6 inches tall). Kings Treaures of Literature. Flyleaf embellished with Milton's quote, "A good book is the precious life-blood of a master spirit" in illustrated oval frame. 319 pp.
Message 16 of 4,794
latest reply

bywaybooks
Enthusiast
Pic of the title page would help:)

Jeannie
Message 17 of 4,794
latest reply

🙂 It's Macmillan. I looked closer.
Message 18 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose- I have a 1999 edition of the Golden Treasury of Elves and Fairies I would like to put up on eBay.

I know that the original edition lists in the $200-$300 range. There is even a 1979 and a 1999 edition listed on Abe in that price range.

There is a copy in an eBay store listed at $125.00 with no indication of which printing it is.

There are a couple of British editions on the UK site that come up which list for $9 and under.

I know that Amazon is taking pre-orders for a new 2008 edition, scheduled to come out in September.

I thought I would throw a copy out there on eBay and see if anyone salutes it. Could you, or anyone, give me a suggested starting price?

My copy is in very good condition with only some minimal edgewear and slight crimping to the edges of the dustjacket. There are some very small red dots on the inside of the dj at the top, which suggest it might have been marked as a remainder.
Message 19 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
vintagedagmar: My theory

is that people pay more attention to books priced at $100 or higher.
Message 20 of 4,794
latest reply

SATNROSE:

2 questions. Any help is much appreciated.

1. Appx. value? A 1952 Doubleday & Compamy stated 1st Edition of Anne Frank The Diary Of A Young Girl. Book is black with gold lettering in excellent condition. Has a tattered DJ with tears and a large jagged chip ( appx. 2"x2" ) out of the lower spine and back cover. Several other small chips. Price of $3.00 on the DJ. Copyright page says Copyright 1952, by Otto H. Frank; Copyright 1952 by The American Jewish Committee. An inscription and date on 1st endpage.

2.A 1st Edition? Value? The Harvard Classics. Dates of 1909 in most, a few have a 1910 date with both being the only dates in the books. Maroon with gold lettering, all sharp and not faded. The front cover states The Harvard Classics. Below that is a shield with 4 circles around it. The bottom of the front cover has Charles W. Eliot stamped. Hubbed spine. Binding appears to be hardcover and cloth. The binding on the spine is definetly cloth.
Stamped on the spine top to bottom is The Harvard Classics: Then the contents of each volumn, followed by some type of emblem and below the last hub is the number of the book. All are immaculate inside. No stamps, writing, tears to the pages, foxing or any of that sort of thing. The tissue paper between each frontpiece and title page is intact and complete. Exterior condition: corner bumping, wear to the upper and lower spine (apparently where they were taken off the shelf by the top of the spine) some cover wear, etc. Lettering and emblems are all shapr and not faded but the covers have wear and a few have small tears in the spine.

I've seen many 'First Editions' advertised, both green and maroon but none have the same binding, the same emblem in the circles or the same type on the spine.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Message 21 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
flax231: The vast majority of copies of THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK
that are described as "first editions" are not.

You have the first printing of the first American edition.

The real thing.

In the condition you describe, I would start it at auction at $199.99.

Mind you, this is not what I think the book is worth,
but simply how I would roll the dice.

eBay is a crapshoot . .

As far as the Harvards go, I have no idea.
Message 22 of 4,794
latest reply

Hi satnrose, have you had any experience with privately published movie scripts? I stumbled on a copy of the script for an obscure movie titled The Final Cut. It's bound in silk and quarter leather, gilt titles and edges, quite a nice production. The movie stared Robin Williams and he has pasted in a photo of himself and warmly inscribed the book to one of the crew members.

I'm thinking the nominal value is whatever William's signature is worth, $50 -- $100? But perhaps there's a more serious market for these scripts...
Message 23 of 4,794
latest reply

My memory fails me again: what do you call the page in a book after the ffep and before the actual title page - the page that ONLY has the title on it?
Thanks in advance!
Message 24 of 4,794
latest reply

indexerkevin
Enthusiast
Half-title page
Message 25 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
ubikuitous: I'd put a lot more on it.

There's a category for scripts in Entertainment memorabilia: movies

cibola07 : halftitle page

aka "bastard title" [but don't use that]

Message 26 of 4,794
latest reply

I did a search, to no avail: How does one identify a first printing of A Child's Garden of Verses?
Message 27 of 4,794
latest reply

lakitla
Enthusiast
Rain: How does one identify a first printing of A Child's Garden of Verses?

This is a book that has been reprinted many, many times and often with a different illustrator. Some of the illustrators are more collectible (Jessie Willcox Smith, for example).

The best way to get help with this sort of question is to offer the title (A Child's Garden of Verses) author (In this case Stevenson), illustrator (if any), publisher, date (with any other dates mentioned), and with older books, the color and decoration of the boards.
Message 28 of 4,794
latest reply

Thanks, lakitla. I'm on my shaky newbie legs.

A Child's Garden of Verses
Stevenson
Provensen, Alice & Martin
Simon and Schuster
Looks like this (not my photo):
Message 29 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
First published in London by Longmans Green in 1885.

Click here to see the copy being offered by David Brass
Message 30 of 4,794
latest reply