Message 1 of 4,794
latest reply
4,793 REPLIES 4,793

Re: Ask any question about any book Part II

masterpieces were created...

Message 4726 of 4,794
latest reply

Please give this thread "thumbs up" if you agree that it is worth while. Many kudos may stick this thread to the left of the screen.

Message 4727 of 4,794
latest reply

Hi, long time lurker, I believe first time poster here. I recently picked up a paperback book by Nelson DeMille, The Quest, Manor Books, 1975, my question is where would be a good starting price? Paperback is in very good condition, no spine creasing, rips, writing or tears, nice square tight copy. This was DeMille's first published book and I understand that he rewrote this last year adding and updating content. http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/authors/profiles/article/59421-demille-s-newest-quest-a-... I found one rough copy listed on Abe for $40 or so, but who knows how long it's been hanging around. Appreciate any thoughts, I think it was Satnrose who said "when all else fails SWAG it." -thanks Phil
Message 4728 of 4,794
latest reply

Bueller?... Bueller?... Anyone...?
Message 4729 of 4,794
latest reply

Philohorse welcome to our board/group. Now that you are here, don't be a stranger!
Message 4731 of 4,794
latest reply

Thanks! I could only find the one copy in poor condition.
Message 4732 of 4,794
latest reply

How much would a harrold copping 1910 bible be worth thanks
Message 4733 of 4,794
latest reply

I'm preparing listings for some books that I recently found: Josephi Genesii (1978) & Nicetae Choniatae Historia - 2 volumes (1975.) They are written in Greek, with commentary in German, published in Germany. They are from the series Corpus Fontium Historiae Byzantinae: Series Berolinensis. I found a couple of copies on Abe and Biblio for around $140- 200+. These books are a little different from what I usually sell and I was wondering if anyone would have suggestions as to how I might best sell them, especially what I should set as my starting price, whether they should be listed as auctions or fixed price, and what categories they should be listed in. They are in very good to excellent condition. Some of the pages are uncut at the top edges.DSC08743.jpgDSC08755.jpgDSC08756.jpgDSC08757.jpgDSC08758.jpgDSC08759.jpg

Message 4735 of 4,794
latest reply

gp,

I found a 14 volume Dickens set, The Carton Edition, New York Caxton Publishing Co., Tribune Building.  Brown leather, with gold lettering detail.  The inside of the covers have grean flower motif.  They have emobsed W C 1471 and a picture of Carton on the top left of each front cover.  Aprox. 7.5" by 5".  The spines all have gold title and auther, a gold embosed "Caxton Publishing Co. New York" and an ebosed tree leaf/flower motif.  I can find no information about this set.  Could we have the same set???  I have attached a picture.

Message 4736 of 4,794
latest reply

admiral ... Looks like your set is bound in cloth, not leather.

If you look around online, you should find a fair amount of information on Caxton Publishing. They did editions of popular authors -- Dickens, Scott, Shakespeare, Thackeray, etc. Billed as "fine editions," but in reality their books were mass-produced for the masses.

Message 4737 of 4,794
latest reply

I apologize if I butted into this topic but I couldn't figure out how to ask a question with a new issue.

I have two signed, First Edition copies of Stewart O'Nan's "West of Sunset" (ISBN 9780670785957) with different boards - one has a blue and light gray boards, the other has solid blue boards. Both have identical copyright pages with a full number line and gold foil stampings on the spines.

Can any of you offer suggestions as to where I can investigate which is the true "first state". Thank you

Message 4738 of 4,794
latest reply

For a current book such as yours, I wonder if you could get an answer to your question directly from the publisher. It might be worth a phone call.

Message 4739 of 4,794
latest reply

It looks like your book had two different dust jackets/ two different publishers.

http://www.alibris.com/search/books/isbn/0670785954

(scroll down)

I remember reading somewhere that when a book is published simultaneously in two different countries, the true first is the book published where the author lives.

You probably have the book published by Viking and the author lives in the US, so that's good.

Message 4740 of 4,794
latest reply