There are quite a few books that don't look like anything special. Here's one:

Security Analysis

Message 1 of 1,978
latest reply
1,977 REPLIES 1,977

A book that looks like nothing.

satnrose
Guide
It came as a big surprise to me that the clothbound early reprints of the Reynal & Hitchcock edition of THE LITTLE PRINCE are worth real money, with or without their dustjackets. This, however does not include the tan cloth-patterned boards issue that was issued as the book club edition [and frequently mistaken for cloth].
Message 91 of 1,978
latest reply

A book that is the bible for Technical Analysis for Investors that is very hard to find is the First Edition 1948 of "Technical Analysis of Stock Trends" by Robert D. Edwards and John Magee. Chris
Message 92 of 1,978
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
The ILLUSTRATED MODERN LIBRARY edition of Alice in Wonderland

Please note that the "Illustrated Modern Library" format is a different series from the regular "Modern Library" format, which also had illustrations. Same publisher and all, just another marketing ploy.

Message 93 of 1,978
latest reply

timetraveler7
Enthusiast
Satnrose, thanks so much for starting this thread. Shortly after I read your tip on Tasha Tudor, I found this book and was very pleased with how well it did.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3510259934&category=13542
Message 94 of 1,978
latest reply

satnrose
Guide

jedi_jol
Enthusiast
Hello all and a good day to you........
I really like this thread and keep coming back.....Thanks again Satnrose.........
I have been searching for info on many uncommon books and use many engines to locate info.......
Addall is good, but I must say that Bookfinders.com does have many titles that I can not find anywhere else.....
I thought I would mention this as this thread is in finding unusual books......
Have a great day......
Jedi
Message 96 of 1,978
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
This thread is potentially worth thousands of dollars to each and every one of you. I suggest you get out a piece of paper and write down all of the titles/authors above and put it in your pocket and take it out and study it when you're sitting on the john. Or something.

You can thank me by clueing me in on sleepers I may not know of.

Message 97 of 1,978
latest reply

ccpif
Enthusiast
I wonder if Daphne would pin this thread, and the Library Links thread over on the right hand side, with the FAQ?
Message 98 of 1,978
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
The Wonderful Adventures of Little Prince Toofat
written by George Randolph Chester
illustrations by Robert Lawson.

New York, The James A. McCann company [c1922]

5 p. l., 3-70 p. col. front., illus., col. plates. 31 x 27 cm.

Message 99 of 1,978
latest reply

Locomotive Cyclopedia
Message 100 of 1,978
latest reply

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11432&item=3512922847&rd=1
Message 101 of 1,978
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

The Lion the Witch and The Wardrobe
Prince Caspian
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
The Silver Chair
The Horse and His Boy
The Magician's Nephew
The Last Battle

Message 102 of 1,978
latest reply

h-rose--I think it is relative. One might very well pass this book up at a yard sale for a dime or quarter or even fifty cents. But for 5 minutes of time listing, one could turn it around for $24.00. For me, that is a good return on my investment. It is a book that "looks like nothing."
Message 103 of 1,978
latest reply

b_o_o_k
Enthusiast
I think what this thread proves is that most books published in the last hundred years look like nothing if you don't know what they are. The question is what does a book that looks like something look like? Other than leather bound books or limited signed books, everything looks like nothing. Hollowayd mentioned a Baum book, in another thread, published under one of his many psuedonyms. A great example of a book that looks like nothing is Sinclair Lewis's first book, Hike and the Aeroplane, published under the psuedonym Tom Graham. Most would pass up a jacketed copy at an FOL for $10.

http://used.addall.com/SuperRare/submitRare.cgi?author=graham&title=hike+aeroplane&keyword=&isbn=&order=PRICE&ordering=DESC&dispCurr=USD&binding=Any+Binding&min=&max=&timeout=20&match=Y&StoreAbebooks=on&StoreAlibris=on&StoreAntiqbook=on&StoreBibliology=on&StoreBiblion=on&StoreBibliophile=on&StoreBibliopoly=on&StoreBiblioroom=on&StoreChapitre=on&StoreElephantbooks=on&StoreHalf=on&StoreILAB=on&StoreMaremagnum=on&StorePowells=on&StoreStrandbooks=on

I guess the point is that if you have never heard of the author then all of their books look like nothing. Tom Graham who? 🙂
Message 104 of 1,978
latest reply

b_o_o_k
Enthusiast
oh darn! Sorry for the thread stretch 😞
Message 105 of 1,978
latest reply