There are quite a few books that don't look like anything special. Here's one:

Security Analysis

Message 1 of 1,978
latest reply
1,977 REPLIES 1,977

A book that looks like nothing.

generalbooks
Enthusiast
A very nondescript book that I bought for $1 back when I first started selling books was a First Edition of MEN AT WORK by Lewis Hine. I only bought it because I was taking all the photography books the seller had at $1 each.

It's a thin book, olive drab cloth with black lettering as I recall. Cheaply bound for juvenile readers - probably intended for school & public libraries mostly. The copy I found stayed on my shelf for weeks and might have been thrown away, but for a mention of it on the eBay Book Chatboard. - It's probably currently worth between $500 and $1000.
Message 76 of 1,978
latest reply

tradervic4u
Enthusiast
Keziak,I just found a Tiny book on Puppetry! I hope its a twin of one you mentioned!!
Tradervic4u
Message 77 of 1,978
latest reply

personpa
Enthusiast
Thanks for all the great information you post on this board. This is my first post and my first attempt at a link. Here's one I noticed that fit the category.

If the link doesn't work do a search on completed auctions: Timoshenko

Timoshenko

Message 78 of 1,978
latest reply

My "security Analysis", 1st ed. 4th printing, didn't sell here after two tries. I kept the price high and did get low offers both during and after the auction which I turned down. Just sold it tonight. At least there's an e-check on PayPal waiting to clear. Got my full first asking price. Thanks to some of the Book Boarders for their help with needed info.
Message 79 of 1,978
latest reply

dad_of_monster
Enthusiast
Satnrose:

Last Saturday a customer came in complaining about all the bookdealers and self-proclaimed eBayers at a local FOL sale who were sweeping away armloads of books that they loudly proclaimed they'd be selling for big bucks online.

I'd forgotten about the sale, don't get out of the store too much anymore, but thanks to our customer's reminder I arrived at the sale forty-five minutes before it closed. I asked the FOL staff how the sale had been and they said it had never been busier, that they'd run out of new books to put out two hours after they opened the first day. "Everybody wants to be a bookseller," said one FOL staffer who claimed that it seemed to her every other buyer was talking about selling on eBay.

So, I looked around, and bought a whopping eleven dollars worth of books, among them: a book on solar heating that last sold for $85, three on Software Quality Assurance which combined last sold for $280, an inscribed first edition of Killy by Donald Westlake, an inscribed Too Funny To Be President by Mo Udall, a Frank Capra autobiography first, some civil war biographies, and, among too many others to name, a stack of philosophy hardcovers by such minor figures as Spinoza, Skinner, Schopenhauer, Kant and Maritain.

It's too early to tell how any of these books will do once they're listed but I was more than surprised to find so many books of such potential value at the very end of a two-day sale ... especially after a throng of "booksellers" had marched through.
Message 80 of 1,978
latest reply

b_o_o_k
Enthusiast
Dom - I think you meant people who sell books...booksellers has a completely different connotation!
Message 81 of 1,978
latest reply

jedi_jol
Enthusiast
I have read through all these wonderful and informative posts and wanted to say thanks.....This is a great thread with some wondeful people......
I will look forward to visiting more often.....
Have a great day and thanks again......'
Jedi
Message 82 of 1,978
latest reply

Small books can be overlooked at booksales in favor of large, coffee-table books. Some of the small books can be gold-mines.
Message 83 of 1,978
latest reply

DOMMinor figures? Is that with, or without, the flashlight and the hard hat?
"Less in my pockets meant less on my mind".
~~~~~~~~~~guess
Message 84 of 1,978
latest reply

I'm rarely one of the first arrivals at books sales, garage sales, etc. I have found many "leftover" books that other people have overlooked but I knew they had good potential for resale.
Message 85 of 1,978
latest reply

satnrose
Guide

joyce2005
Enthusiast
Cinamon: I'm glad you mentioned that you go to book sales even when its not the 1st day.I often skip a sale if its the last day,figuring there won't be anything worth having left! From Now on I will try going even if its late in the sale.
Message 87 of 1,978
latest reply

t-couchman
Enthusiast
How do you post links to completed or current auctions? I want to post a link to a page of completed auctions.
Message 88 of 1,978
latest reply

huasong
Enthusiast
Hello, just type the http address and see whether it works. I think that Ebay automatically links it to the URL address.
Message 89 of 1,978
latest reply

luvbridge
Enthusiast
Highlight the URL in your browser's address. Then right click your mouse and click on Copy. Then right click on paste in post message box. (You can also use Control C for copy and Control V for paste)
Message 90 of 1,978
latest reply