satnrose
Guide
There are quite a few books that don't look like anything special. Here's one:

Security Analysis

Message 1 of 1,978
latest reply
1,977 REPLIES 1,977

Re: A book that looks like nothing.

Do you know if these were also published in the US?
Message 1876 of 1,978
latest reply

They will have been, though much more recently. Higgins republished most of the titles by his alternate personae under the Higgins name, so they'll be around. But I doubt there was any US counterpart to the early 60s issues. He was almost a complete unknown and the print runs appear to have been practically microscopic over here.

As far as I can work out there are only 5 known copies of the 1964 'Devil' in the UK. The one currently on ABE and our copy, one in the British Library, one in an Oxford library but not sure Bod/Uni, and one in Edinburgh I think it was. I'll assume Mr Patterson has a copy, so that would make 6. There are probably at least as many more in collections, but that's still only 12. Small print runs here seem to be on the order of 300 to 500 copies.

Taking 300 as a big enough risk on a relative newcomer, I can only imagine the wonderful book-destroying British public libraries system took care of the rest - rebound, laminated, rubber-stamped, stickered, sellotaped, shelved, moved, dropped, kicked, used as a coaster, chewed, annotated, scrawl-illustrated, shelved, lost, found, discarded, recycled.

Still, this copy here emerged from a fairly unlikely place - Clovelly, Devon: has been billed as the world's prettiest village.

I lived there from 1990 to 1999, and watched about 50% of the populations of Canada, USA, Australia and Europe make their hesitant way down the cobbled High Street. No more than 5% ever went back up that way, though, and the climb took decades off the life-expectancy of most of those. The sensible (and larger) ones took the Land Rover service which ferried people, from sea level back up the 500 feet or so of elevation, to the visitor centre and car park via a service road that is so steep in places it is almost unclimbable on foot. No seat belts in the back, just a bench seat on either side, so that when the vehicle reached the top there was usually a tangle of bodies at the very rear on each side. I used to ride up on the access step just outside where a towbar would be fitted. I've actually caught tourists of all sorts of nationalities, who hadn't given a thought to bracing themselves for a climb the reverse of the descent they just made, only at 20 to 30 mph in what was basically the payload bed of a pick-up truck with aluminium-framed canvas walls and roof, as they almost fell past me onto the road (or quite often a huge sledge that the vehicle was towing). I've been very lucky to hurl several back inside - lucky because I'm not a big chap and most of my 'catches' outweighed me significantly.

Ah, the good old days.

A preoccupation with the next world is a clear indication of an inability to cope credibly with this one.
Message 1877 of 1,978
latest reply

Thank you for the information & reminiscences! I look forward to book hunting in the UK again...it's always an adventure!  Kathlyn

Message 1878 of 1,978
latest reply

Do drop in on us if you ever get to Bideford.

We're the Book Relief UK bookshop on Mill Street.

Can't really say what we'll have to offer you since we don't know what will arrive next. But that's the adventure.

I'd say we're the cheapest used bookshop in town, but there are only three bookshops, and one of the others only sells new stock, so that's no great achievement. There are several other charity shops with book sections, but we avoided the jigsaw-piece-counting and secondhand-undies-steaming by just expanding the books section until there was no room for anything else - then we opened the shop.

We can do pretty good coffee, too. 

A preoccupation with the next world is a clear indication of an inability to cope credibly with this one.
Message 1879 of 1,978
latest reply

@satnrose wrote:
There are quite a few books that don't look like anything special. Here's one:

Security Analysis

Hello Joel, good to see your post again on the BSB!

I would offer William Cole's 1964 Beastly Boys and Ghastly Girls to the list. The book is illustrated by Tomi Ungerer, a fairly early example of his work.

Most sellers do not mention the three poems by Shel Silverstein in the book. Silverstein collectors are quite passionate, so whether first edition or not, this out-of-print edition can garner a decent price.

The children's poems in the book are 'not politically correct' in today's modern age - see Beastly Boys and Ghastly Girls: Mischievous Vintage Illustrated Verses - so doubtful a mainstream publisher would put it on the shelf in it's originally published form (i.e. they would probably censure a couple of the poems).

The three 'Shelly Silverstein' poems are 'Nothing To Do?', 'Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout', and 'Think of Eight Numbers'. I can't see today's middle school librarian recommending this one:

"Nothing to do?

Nothing to do?

Nothing to do?

Put some mustard in your shoe,

Fill your pockets full of soot,

Drive a nail into your foot,

Put some sugar in your hair,

Place your toys upon the stair,

Smear some jelly on the latch,

Eat some mud and strike a match,

Draw a picture on the wall,

Roll some marbles down the hall,

Pour some ink in daddy’s cap —

Now go upstairs and take a nap."

Message 1880 of 1,978
latest reply

Regarding Beastly Boys and Ghastly Girls, I did a quick search, and none of the 14 sellers on ABE or 5 sellers on eBay mention the Silverstein poems in their description!? Go figure.

There are plenty of sources on the internet which mention the Silverstein poems in the book. I wonder why the sellers chose not to provide this information in the description?

Message 1881 of 1,978
latest reply

Bout time for a bump!! I have a few contributions.

"The Giant Golden Book of Biology" by Gerald Ames, illustrated by Charles Harper, 1st ed/1st ptg 1964, Simon & Schuster. It's a large, colorful pictorial 4to that just looks like a generic kids' science book. However the 1st goes for $150-$200. In the past few years I've found two, one buried on the bottom of a pile of dreck at a rummage sale.

"Snowman" by Rutherford Montgomery, 1st ed 1962, Duell Sloan & Pearce. Unless you're really into horses and recognise the title as a horse's name, this looks like a dull children's book (especially without the jacket, which it usually doesn't have). I sold one without jacket for $75 a few years ago and now have one in jacket for $100. 

"The Simple Solution to Rubik's Cube" by James Nourse, any 1980s printing. A thin, small paperpack that's easily overlooked. It's not uncommon but demand is high so it can be picked up at a yard sale or thrift store for less than a buck and turned around for $20-$30 quite quickly.

Message 1882 of 1,978
latest reply

Thanks for the bump & for hopefully reviving this site! Thanks to this board, I knew to pick up a copy of "Security Analysis" when I found it @ an FOL sale for $.50...it was a First edition/Second state, & I sold it to another dealer for $6000. Would never have known about it (not my field of expertise) save for this board & satnrose!

Message 1883 of 1,978
latest reply

Had a "Security Analysis" in my hands a couple a days ago. I thought to myself / that's that book and opened it up and when I saw it was about stocks thought naw. Oops
Message 1884 of 1,978
latest reply

only the Firsts, & sometimes the Second editions, are worth anything...I've sold Thirds, but not for much... Hopefully that's what you picked up 🙂

Message 1885 of 1,978
latest reply

Very kind, I'll remember, thanks and congratulations
Message 1886 of 1,978
latest reply

I read through this thread from 2008 up to the present within the last week and stuffed my head full of mental images of a lot of new interesting things to look for. When I saw "Security Analysis" mentioned I gasped because it jogged the depths of my memory... years ago when I worked in a bookstore I remember we had a copy for sale. Don't recall how much we had it listed for though, but it must have been significant for the title to stick in my brain. Looking forward to finding my own copy eventually; it seems like one of the more commonly-unearthed titles discussed here.

Message 1887 of 1,978
latest reply

Does anyone know what happened to that alphabetical list of these "books that look like nothing" that would appear periodically? I had that printed out at one time to take on book hunting forays...It grew woefully out of date, but maybe we could revive it? I am woefully inadequate technologically & wouldn't know how to begin, but I could edit it if anyone knows where to find it?????? Thanks & good to see y'all here! Keep the faith: that copy of "Security Analysis" may be just around the corner!

Message 1888 of 1,978
latest reply

THANKS!!!
Message 1890 of 1,978
latest reply