eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Answer
Community Member
Accepted Solution
Can I retract my 2nd counteroffer to accept seller's previous counteroffer?

I made a $500 best offer on a $600.

I then got a counteroffer from the seller for $580 - which I counteroffered $525.

He (the seller) then counteroffered me $560, and I counterofferd him $550.

He then sent me a message to confirm that I could pay and I responded 'yes'.

It has now been almost 48 hours and I still haven't heard anything back from the seller.  He still hasn't accepted my offer, and my offer will expire soon.  On top of that, someone else has submitted an offer (which is pending) and I'm worried I may not win the item.

So my question is: If I retract my last counter offer, can I then accept the seller's last counteroffer?

Accepted Solution
woodland_gnome
Community Member
Answered
in reply to danbigdan

Sorry, miscounted the # of offers you made.

You've already made your third offer, so if you want the item now you need to BIN it (assuming it is a single item listing or you are after more than half the items remaining in a multiple item listing) or wait and see whether seller accepts your third offer.  If you go the latter route, do NOT message the seller to let him know you're willing to pay more!

Other Answers: 6
pi_r_square
Community Member
Answered
in reply to danbigdan

Can I retract my 2nd counteroffer to accept seller's previous counteroffer?

No.

Remember ... the process is called Best Offer for a reason!

Please return to your question soon, and click "Accept as Solution" for any helpful answers, from any responder. If you were asked for clarification, please add your comments very quickly -- otherwise the responders may be unable to give further help
glenda
Community Member
Answered
in reply to danbigdan

Hi danbigdan

Have you written to the seller, asking him to accept your offer so you can pay?

Community Member
Answered
in reply to danbigdan

You can also just offer to have them make the purchase via BIN, or a currently active Offer/Counteroffer, then refund any difference over what you agree to actually accept.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to danbigdan

Sorry, ignore my reply above, I didn't catch that the OP was the buyer, not seller.

However, I don't follow the issue.  If the OP's response of "yes" was to a Counteroffer, the sale is done.  If the OP simply meant they said "yes" via PM to a PM from the seller that the seller would accept the buyer's counteroffer (a bizarre way of communicating, if you ask me), then No, there's no way to reverse the counteroffer status, and the sale is still pending.

woodland_gnome
Community Member
Answered
in reply to danbigdan

Once your 2nd offer (eBay terminology:  prospective buyers make offers, sellers make counteroffers, it is a lot less confusing to refer to them that way) expires, you can make a third one, unless the listing ends before then (as by the seller accepting the other offerror's offer, or someone BINing).

No, you can't accept the seller's last counteroffer.  You don't have a valid reason to retract your current offer, and doing so would NOT bring back the counteroffer, which you rejected when you made your second offer.

Note that the 3rd offer is your last shot;  after that your only option is to BIN.  The seller cannot even send you a 3rd counteroffer.

kraloe
Community Member
Answered
in reply to danbigdan

Any Offer you made to the seller was cancelled when he made his latest counteroffer. So there in no Offer for him to accept. No point in sending him a message about an Ofer that no longer exists.