eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • StubHub

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

why does Ebay favor the seller over the buyer ?

Sellers will not ship until notified by PayPal, or a regular credit card transaction if verified. Yet when a delivery date is missed by the seller, the buyer has to wait for two days past the delivery before even just asking the seller "Where Is The Beef". And then the buyer still has to wait another six days in order for the seller to respond.

In one of my purchases I recieved an Email from the seller two days after the funds were transferred to the seller, their request for me to pay them directly with a check. I immediatly reported this to Ebay and PayPal. The result, zip, nada, zilch, nothing. This crook broke the cardinal mantra of Ebay, "Beware of someone wanting to transact outside of Ebay". So much for that baloney. I took me another three weeks to finally get a refund to my account. Did anybody read the correspondence from this character.

Ebay buyer protection, what a joke ! I pay on the spot, and expect delivery as promised. PayPal wants me to give them my checking account number to get verified, what in the hell are they smoking ?

I will probably buy again on Ebay, but it will not be more the $50.00, I can not afford to have my hard earned bucks tied up with flaky sellers that you allow to exist. Maybe this is why there are so many dissatisfied cutomers that are leaving Ebay.

Please use plain text.
floridawriter
Community Member

Re: why does Ebay favor the seller over the buyer ?

in reply to msowin2012

"Yet when a delivery date is missed by the seller..."

I hope you realize that the seller does not set the delivery date, eBay does. Sellers do not "promise" a delivery date. Nobody would expect guaranteed delivery unless you're paying for Express mail service. Even then, Sellers are not responsible for the service of the post office. As far as having to wait two days before contacting the seller, I'm not sure what you're referring to as Buyers can email Sellers at any time, and they can also pull up the tracking and see what's happening with the delivery. In fact, Ebay's policy is to have buyers and sellers work things out between them before things get escalated to the resolution center.

It sounds like you had to wait on delivery (again, the seller cannot control the post office), and wanted to file a complaint without trying to work it out with the seller.

Thankfully, eBay makes customers wait for a reasonable time before doing that since the post office does not have the best service in the world!

Please use plain text.
honeville1
Community Member

in reply to floridawriter

I ship daily at 3:45.  Meaning everyday at 3:45 the PO stops by and picks up all packages that go out that day.  My shirts are all made to order.  I keep a large inventory on hand and in the rare event I'm faced with an out of stock I can be back in stock within 24 hours.   I've had people buy from me at 3:30 and I've had their made to order shirts out the door at 3:45 and still have gotten 1 stars from them in the past for shipping time...  and had ebay punish me over it.  They finally blocked buyers from leavin low stars on shipping time when you shipped same or next day. 

Usually, it's someone like the OP...  "oh, the delivery date says..".   Could care less if I had it out the door quicker than Dominoes could cook a pizza and have it out the door...  no...  SAME DAY shipping is too freakin' slow for many buyers and they'll love to just blow you out of the water if they don't have it in 2 days

You ask why ebay favors sellers?  I ask this...  with my shipping time being SAME DAY on 99.99999% of all orders why isn't that good enough?  In the beginning I located my business across the street from a post office... Now I AM a post office, meaning I'm a satelitte post office and the same vehicle that picks up the mail daily across the street comes here and picks up the mail daily...  so I ask you... why isn't that good enough?  Why can't that please people like you?  Why do you insist on holding sellers accountable for a third parties delivery times? 

Today's Thursday... do you know how many freakin' times I've gotten an order on a Thursday for a baby shower on a Saturday followed with a Monday "You ruined my weekend" "You're a poor excuse for a seller" email? 

"Delivery date missed by the seller"  SHEESH.  99 times out of 100 those items shipped within 1 business day and that's not good enough!

Will someone PLEEEAAASSSEEEE invent that star trek beaming device so we can instantly beam stuff to peoples houses....  of course, even thin that would be too slow.  LOL  

Vent over.  :smileyhappy:  

photo HONEVILLELOGO-1.jpg
Please use plain text.
triyarn
Community Member

in reply to honeville1

If Ebay sided with the seller, how did you get your refund? Because they sided with you. The BPP worked the way it's supposed to.

As for the seller asking for a check, what did you expect Ebay to do? Kick the seller off after one report?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When you tear out a man’s tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you are only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to triyarn

Maybe its best if you do not buy on Ebay.  I am sure many sellers who have read this have assured you will not be buying from them.

If you got a refund, it sounds to me buyer protection worked.  Remember a seller can ship the instant you pay and still the item may be delivered after the delivery date that Ebay posts.  I had a package last week going 130 miles away should have actually been a next day delivery since it was going to Dallas take 9 days to be delivered, it somehow got sent to California where it sat in that processing center for 4 days before being returned to Dallas.

Things happen and thats just part of life.

Please use plain text.
myangelandmyprincess
Community Member

in reply to longbeard1975

and ebays delivery times are really skewed.  They have started basing it on how quickly a seller usually ships and not their stated handling time combined with the shipping method choosen.  there was a very recent thread on this board from a buyer who was upset that an item had not been received by the expected delivery date....ebay had the estimated delivery as 3 days and the seller had a 3 day handling time.  Don't think it's going to be delivered the same day the seller ships.  

And of course a seller is going to wait to ship until the money is in paypal.  BUT this does not have anything to do with favoring...a better example would be that I have a payment due in 4 days policy but even after I file for non payment I have to wait 4 days...see that seems more equal doesn't it?

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to msowin2012

I've never seen a delivery date on any auction. I see estimated delivery dates only, which, as noted above are placed there by eBay and not the seller.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to msowin2012

Your kidding right? Favor the seller? Everything is about the buyer on eBay. Buyers get no penalty for not paying for an item for days, which has been happening on almost every item I sell. Sellers get negative ratings if they sneeze wrong...

Please use plain text.
ubeladysales
Community Member

in reply to msowin2012

gotta be kidding me Buyer over Seller what a joke...... Ebay bows down to buyers

but there are bad seller and those outside US are not bound to US law

Read their feedback and go by that before you buy cause there are lots of honest sincere business people on here who care.

Please use plain text.
2011limey1
Community Member

in reply to msowin2012

Honeville1   "Will someone PLEEEAAASSSEEEE invent that star trek beaming device so we can instantly beam stuff to peoples houses....  of course, even thin that would be too slow.  LOL"  

I'm a buyer, not a seller and I TOTALLY agree with you - I see SO many posts here where buyers expect that they press click to buy and they get it the next day (well exaggeration) - but seriously!!  PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE. Want it right away? - you might as well buy from your local store.

Please use plain text.
scarletttestarlet
Community Member

in reply to msowin2012

It is called " estimated delivery dates" and Ebay places that in the sellers adds as a courtesey to the buyers, NOT A PROMISED/GUARANTEED DATE OF DELIVERY. What retail business guarrantees delivery date anyway???

Please use plain text.
gamerspulse
Community Member

in reply to msowin2012

You know there are two sides to every story. Sellers have been screwed too many times with flakey buyers and occassionally visa versa. Buyers seem to think all sellers are like a Walmart or something. My biggest pet peeve is that a lot of buyers don't read what it is what they are buying and then they want the sellers to fit the bill on shipping costs because of their mistake. I'm sure you have your pet peeves with sellers as well, but what makes you think any seller will ship out an item before having payment confirmation?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to longbeard1975

In reading the feedback left for others by OP I see

3 nuetral

1 negative

3 soft positive (positive but with complaints)

Yes----thanks OP for posting!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to triyarn

It took 30 days to get a refund to my account ! I paid within 2 minutes of winning the bid. I get a quicker response from purchases online with WalMart. Your telling me that you are willing to wait 30 days from anybody in order to get a refund ? Hard to believe you. Part of what you are missing is reading the correspondence between myself and the seller, 15 emails back and forth with them making retalitory threats, "your just going to wait until I get the money for your refund", or " if you give me a negative, I will give you a negative too", and the real caper is, " I am haveing a problem with my PayPal account, would you trust me and send me a check and I will cancel the Ebay order and send you the product".

You might have had a better insight if you had all of the facts. As a seller, how long to you wait for the funds to be transferred before you ship ? One day, two days max ? And after that you have the money in the bank. Yes Ebay favors the seller, because that is where they make their money, it is as simple as that.

Mike

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to honeville1

You did not read the situation that I was envolved in. Read it and then tell me that I should accept waiting 30 days for a refund. I dare say that you will not wait more than 2 days before you get your money and ship.

Mike

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to floridawriter

"Sounds like I did not try and work it out with the seller" are you kidding ? How about 15 emails back and forth ? Don't make assumptions without all of the facts before you.

Mike

Please use plain text.
evemnash
Community Member

in reply to honeville1

Honeville writes:

Today's Thursday... do you know how many freakin' times I've gotten an order on a Thursday for a baby shower on a Saturday followed with a Monday "You ruined my weekend" "You're a poor excuse for a seller" email? 

My guess would be:  ZERO.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to evemnash

evemnash wrote:

Honeville writes:

My guess would be:  ZERO.

I have gotten those around Christmas, one the item was bought on the 22nd and they were upset because it was not delivered by Christmas.

Please use plain text.
misfitfun
Community Member

Re: Ebay favors buyers

in reply to msowin2012

And once 7 days have past or seller has responded without proof of delivery you escalate the case to ebay-they find in your favor and refund you(usually in 48 hours).They collect from seller.No need to wait on seller for 3 weeks.

Asking for a check is not allowed BUT it isn't transacting outside ebay.

EBay also never tells what actions it takes in response to infraction reports so you never know if they did anything

-------------------------------------------------------------
This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to msowin2012

To answer the question in your title, the answer is:

EBay DOESN"T.

Please use plain text.