cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

receiving packages covered with tape, 30 minutes opening it & 2 broken finger nails.

Lately I am receiving packages from sellers covered all over with tape. It has taken me up to 30 minutes & 2 broken finger nails to open these packages. The object is not to make it difficult for the buyer to open a package that you ship to the buyer. This tape does not make the package safer from damage or breakage. I keep a list of these sellers as I want to make sure that I never buy from them again. Please learn to pack & ship properly. Is anyone else having this problem?

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

receiving packages covered with tape, 30 minutes opening it & 2 broken finger nails.

I've had a couple of packages covered in tape. But I use a box opener instead of my fingernails.

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Better to have too much tape ..Then not enough.:)

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

@takikawa4 wrote:

I've had a couple of packages covered in tape. But I use a box opener instead of my fingernails.

Yep....or an x-acto knife, razor blade or scissors! No need to use your nails. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 4 of 29
latest reply

or an x-acto knife, razor blade or scissors!

I was picturing one of those mummified poly envelopes, where you can't use sharp openers for fear of damaging the product.  If I was more organized, I wouldn't re-order from those sellers, either.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

@traveling.2007-2017 wrote:

Lately I am receiving packages from sellers covered all over with tape. It has taken me up to 30 minutes & 2 broken finger nails to open these packages. The object is not to make it difficult for the buyer to open a package that you ship to the buyer. This tape does not make the package safer from damage or breakage. I keep a list of these sellers as I want to make sure that I never buy from them again. Please learn to pack & ship properly. Is anyone else having this problem?

I use my teeth; they don't break as easily as my nails.

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

I've had a couple of those as well; one was a piece of clothing where a strap had been taped to the envelope, and I nicked it when I opened the package.  Another was for a piece of Native American pottery where the seller had taped the bubble wrap to the pot.  Glazes and surface treatments on these pots are fragile because they are mostly very low fire, so when I removed the tape, some of the slip came off with it!  Sellers want to make sure their items make it to you intact, but sometimes get carried away with the packing.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 7 of 29
latest reply

Scissor, knife, box cutter all work pretty well, ya know. 

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

@michael_atw wrote:

Blowtorch

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

While I understand your frustration at it taking so long to open packages (not to mention the broken finger nails) due to use of a lot of tape, the use of a lot of tape is far better than the use of very little tape.  

Last year, I received a package with VERY little tape for which my purchase, a beautiful Dooney AWL handbag, was visible and ready to fall out of the box.  Except for the care taken by USPS to transport the box -- but, unfortunately, not retape the box to close it -- the handbag would have been lost.  The workers at my Post Office held the box for me and they, like me, were frustrated by the seller's lack of care in taping the box.  

When I contacted the seller, the seller stated that he was leaving for vacation he and thought that a single piece of tape on the top and bottom of the (large -- too large for the handbag) box would suffice.  IF there had used more packing materials to prevent the handbag from moving/shifting around within the (too large) box and IF the seller had been careful to use new, clean tape and to press the tape firmly on the box THEN the box might have stayed closed.  Unfortunately, that was not the case.  Due to the excessive size of the box and the lack of packing materials, the box bucked and the tape -- which was not properly affixed to the box initally -- did not hold the box closed; of course, the shifting of the handbag (which I was surprised did not acquire scrapes/scratches while moving around within the box), due to the sparse use of packing materials, did not help.

After having the too-little-tape experience, I would take the too-much-tape experience any day.  I would rather have to take a lot of time and care to open a carefully-packaged, much-taped box than to have the open-and-item-ready-to-fall-out package experience ever again.  

Be glad for what you view as excessive use of tape as the alterative may result in your not receiving your item.

So, to those sellers who choose to use a lot of tape -- KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK as there are buyers, like me, who GREATLY APPRECIATE YOUR EFFORTS to ensure that we receive our items!  : )

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

@michael_atw wrote:

You can easily damage the item depending on what it is. I received a sweater stuffed into a too tight envelope that was covered with three layers of tape. It was such a tight squeeze that even cutting the corner or trying to make a slit was dangerous.

I don't understand why some sellers ship the way they do. 

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@michael_atw wrote:

Blowtorch

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@michael_atw wrote:

Blowtorch

Seriously?  Smiley Surprised

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

@smabrouk wrote:

While I understand your frustration at it taking so long to open packages (not to mention the broken finger nails) due to use of a lot of tape, the use of a lot of tape is far better than the use of very little tape.  

Last year, I received a package with VERY little tape for which my purchase, a beautiful Dooney AWL handbag, was visible and ready to fall out of the box.  Except for the care taken by USPS to transport the box -- but, unfortunately, not retape the box to close it -- the handbag would have been lost.  The workers at my Post Office held the box for me and they, like me, were frustrated by the seller's lack of care in taping the box.  

When I contacted the seller, the seller stated that he was leaving for vacation he and thought that a single piece of tape on the top and bottom of the (large -- too large for the handbag) box would suffice.  IF there had used more packing materials to prevent the handbag from moving/shifting around within the (too large) box and IF the seller had been careful to use new, clean tape and to press the tape firmly on the box THEN the box might have stayed closed.  Unfortunately, that was not the case.  Due to the excessive size of the box and the lack of packing materials, the box bucked and the tape -- which was not properly affixed to the box initally -- did not hold the box closed; of course, the shifting of the handbag (which I was surprised did not acquire scrapes/scratches while moving around within the box), due to the sparse use of packing materials, did not help.

After having the too-little-tape experience, I would take the too-much-tape experience any day.  I would rather have to take a lot of time and care to open a carefully-packaged, much-taped box than to have the open-and-item-ready-to-fall-out package experience ever again.  

Be glad for what you view as excessive use of tape as the alterative may result in your not receiving your item.

So, to those sellers who choose to use a lot of tape -- KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK as there are buyers, like me, who GREATLY APPRECIATE YOUR EFFORTS to ensure that we receive our items!  : )

Had a similar experience that could have ended in disaster!

Bought a beautiful, large, round picture in frame, glass front.  When the item arrived in a rather large box, the end of the box was open and it was only by the grace of God that the framed picture was still in the box!  

I don't know HOW it managed to stay in there.  New seller, who was mystified as to how that happened because she thought she put enough tape on it.

No, not much and with such a heavy, wood and glass item, it just didn't last long before it gave up.

I may not be happy when it takes me a half an hr to open a package, but I remember the ones that were not packed well, and you hear that sickening sound of broken pieces hitting together, and I just persevere.  I'm glad to get an intact item, rather than a broken one.

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Oh, come on now. I'm sure you would be more upset if your package was packaged poorly and item was damaged. Packages have been known to come loose due to lack of tape and items falling out. Those sellers have done nothing wrong.Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@michael_atw wrote:

Blowtorch

Pit bull

List more, sell more. Goodwill that other, uh, stuff.

Feeling sleepy? There's an app for that.
Message 15 of 29
latest reply