eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

belovedone15
Community Member
Accepted Solution

Should I wait for buyer to send invoice before making payment?

I like to pay for my purchases right away but this year I'd like to have invoices to keep for my records.

Is it okay to wait until the seller sends one or can I request it.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Should I wait for buyer to send invoice before making payment?

in reply to belovedone15

All you have to do is print out the notification email you get from ebay.  That has all the same info an invoice would have.  Many sellers don't automatically send invoices unless there is combined shipping.  You can always request one though although, IMO, it is just extra work for both you and the seller.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to belovedone15

I'm new to selling but from what I understand, most sellers don't send an invoice unless asked to or if the buyer hasn't paid in a reasonable amount of time. Rather than make your seller impatient, I'd just politely ask for one for your records.

Please use plain text.
hispls
Community Member

in reply to belovedone15

Most of my buyers win multiple auctions so I always try to send invoices within 8 hours of auction's end.    If you win multiple auctions from one seller DEFINITELY wait for themn to manually invoice since eBay system is too primitive to automate combined shipping rules.

Otherwise about 25% of my buyers pay right away, which I appreciate, about 70% pay within a day or two of the invoice, the rest pay over the next couple weeks and 10% always stiff me.

Please use plain text.
kpost-2012
Community Member

in reply to belovedone15

If you are only buying one item per seller, they generally do not send invoice for one item.  You do have an invoice in your purchase history under order details, you can print that for your records.  No need to hold payment for invoice that won't come from seller.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to carmell78

As others have said, the same info is in 'order details' and the eBay generated message. However, if for some reason you really want a invoice sent by your seller, I would just ask. I've never heard of sellers complaining about sending one. All the seller has to do is press a few buttons. eBay already has all the info filled in for them (unless shipping has to be adjusted) and they just need to press 'send'. As long as you're paying right after you get the invoice, I think the seller would be happy to send you one.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to carmell78

Having to send one because the buyer hasn't payed yet and hasn't contacted them would upset the seller.

Please use plain text.