eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Seller wants to cancel transaction after payment.

Hello. I'm having a bit of trouble with an auction I won recently. Here's what happened.

I won an auction for a deck of YuGiOh cards yesterday. The seller put in the description that the deck was already in a package and ready to ship and that also, he demanded payment from the buyer as soon as he/she won. So I paid the same day that I won with PayPal.

I checked my email this morning to find out that the seller wants to cancel his transaction and issue a refund. His reason is because he apparently lost the deck, and cannot find it.

Now a case has opened up. and I have to choose between accepting the seller's cancel, or to decline it. If I decline, do I get my money back or the item he promised me? What should I do?

It's my first time as buyer doing this, so I would appreciate any help that anyone can give me.

Other things to know:

Seller did not provide any pictures of the product, but he does have over 30+ feedback 100%.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Seller wants to cancel transaction after payment.

in reply to akashiro305
You will get your money back if you accept the cancel.

He has lost the deck so there is no way he can send you something he doesn't have......
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to akashiro305
You will get your money back if you accept the cancel.

He has lost the deck so there is no way he can send you something he doesn't have......
I would accept, except that theres note below the option from eay stating NOT to accept until he has given me my refund which he has not.

Shouldn't I accept after I receive the refund?
Please use plain text.
babylove80jr
Community Member

in reply to akashiro305
If you accept the cancellation without the refund, there is no guarantee that you will receive the refund right away.

Advise your seller that you will accept the cancellation AFTER they issue you a refund.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to akashiro305

I'm having a similar problem, I just won a 7'' record. I immediately paid for after auction via pay-pal. The next day I get an email stating that the seller noticed a scratch on the record that wasn't listed in the original posting, and that he will refund my money and cancel the transaction.  I never agreed to this, and knowing the new condition of the item, I still want the item.  Can the seller do this? Doesn't he have to get me to agree to the terms before cancelling? He has an feedback score of 5421, so hes obviously not new to ebay. I have emailed telling him that I still want it and I'm fine with the condition. He has yet to respond, however.  Any info people can provide would be helpful

Please use plain text.
babylove80jr
Community Member

in reply to akashiro305

You cannot force the seller to sell to you.  If you get the refund, you should just walk away.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to akashiro305

The same thing happened to me yesterday.  I won a handbag, paid for it and then the seller said she could not sell at the price I paid.  How lame is that?  I was pretty angry about it but there is nothing I can do because she did refund my money back to pay pal.  I should be greatful.  After all, it is the thrill of the hunt that makes this fun for me.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to akashiro305

You will get your money back if you accept the cancel. He has lost the deck so there is no way he can send you something he doesn't have......

wrong , you'll lose your $ if you accept the cancelation before getting the refund.

refuse the cacelation stateing tou want the item. seller then must eitrher ship or refund. if you have to file item not recieved to get the refund , then leave the feedback and dsr that inform/warn the next buyers

age is a measure of time , wisdom is the measure of how we used that time
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to akashiro305

As an occasional eBay seller (with 100% positive feedback), I recently encountered a problem that I never could have imagined.  I listed an item, and the item did not get any bids, or sell.  I received an eBay message from a buyer stating that her child was having a birthday and really wanted the item, she needed it asap, and offered me a lower price, which I agreed to.  We set up a specific time that we would meet for me to list the item at the price she offered, and I quickly received a paypal message stating that I had received instant payment.  I assumed it was from the same person, only to find out somebody else had made the purchase.  So the potential buyer was very upset, told me this would ruin her child's birthday, and said she was calling eBay to see what could be done, because she was trying to complete the agreed upon transaction when the item sold.  EBay told me not to worry, to politely send a cancellation request to the buyer, explain the situation to them, and let them know it is their decision as to whether they would like to cancel the transaction or not.  They had every right to refuse the cancellation, and I would have sent the item to them.  I was notified that the buyer agreed to the cancellation, so I issued a full refund to them immediately, and the original buyer was able to complete the transaction.  The next day, the buyer that agreed to the cancellation sends me an angry message, and tells me that I broke her child's heart and ruined her child's birthday, and that I am a horrible example of an eBay seller, and that I was violating a legally binding sale.  I feel terrible, and would like to know if anybody else has had a situation like this.  Did I make the wrong decision?  I also feel like eBay did not give me all the necessary information, including the fact that a buyer can potentially leave negative feedback if a transaction is cancelled, and also that they would have to wait 3-4 days for PayPal to deposit the refund back into their account.  I feel really bad.  Any suggestions on how I can resolve this? 

Please use plain text.
currietp
Community Member

in reply to akashiro305

Occasionally sellers misplace an item or find that the condition isn't as advertised -- just as often sellers find that an item was won for less than they really wanted -- either way the seller then explains to the buyer some reason they "cannot ship" the item and need to cancel the sale.

If the buyer wants his money back quickly he can accept this BS from the seller.  If the buyer can afford to have his money tied up for a month, the more reasonable action for the buyer is to refuse the cancellation and wait the minimum time then file a "not received" complaint with eBay.

When buyers state being as strict as sellers about a bid being a binding contract we will see fewer sellers losing items.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to akashiro305

I'm not sure I understand your story correctly.  It sounds like you made two sales when you only had one item.

Then, you canceled the birthday mom buyer's transaction and not the "somebody else" buyer's?

Am I missing something?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to akashiro305
The same thing just happened to me, and I'm livid...I won a buy it now action, paid for my item, and then 2 hours later get a msg. from the seller stating that she mistakenly put the wrong price in, but would refund my money, and that she had already relisted the item, and I was welcome to bid on it if I still wanted it...What?....I already won the item...it's not fair that buyers can just decide to not to sell to you if they don't want to..what can be done about this?
Please use plain text.
ms.piercing
Community Member

in reply to akashiro305

You would get your money either way.

Seller probably already refunded you by the way.

PS: Keep in mind, if you refuse to cancel i do not think 'deck of YuGio' is like a baby and can not be made by the seller. 

He either have it or not.

'Refuse to Cancel' is something eBay came up with to keep their fees and not return them to seller.

No other marketplace have the option 'Refuse to Cancel'

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to akashiro305

Wow I am shocked at how many people on here have not been taught to forgive, people are human and not only that, it sounds like all your sellers are being honest. You could have ordered these cards and sat waiting for something you paid for to never arrive.Your sellers contacted you right away explaining what happened. It is as frustrating to the seller as it to the buyer, A seller does not like to refund an item that will eventually show up later just to have to pay to list and sell all over .

As for the incorrect price the person w/ the handbag spoke of, your seller contacted you within 2 hrs so again it sounds like an incredibly honest seller or they would have sat on your $ for days or weeks. I personally changed all our auctions to online auction from fixed and accidentally checked several while wanting to change ONE, The statring price change to .99 cents on all items including pricey items. I FORTUNATELY noticed before anyone bid or purchased . Which after reading all this I am glad because an understanding person seems few and far between., Check a sellers feedback if they have a high rating it isn't because they are scamming people. Please treat others how you want to be treated , put yourself in their shoes.if the seller is offering to resolve, please don't file claims as it hurts a sellers acct terribly ,, and as for ratings/FB  if even 3 people over a 365 day period leave a low star rating  ( regardless of how many hundreds leave 5 star & pos FB) it costs the seller hundreds if not thousands of $ to list per month and if that isn't bad enough their paypal acct if frozen for 30 days, even on all previous completed sales,   so they can't even use to ship the next buyers purchase. Just put yourself in someone elses shoes because we are all human , honest people do make mistakes,  You are being offered all your money back, take it, there will always be someone with yu gi oh cards  ( in fact I have some if you want)

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to akashiro305

I just got nailed with this one myself.

Bought item, paid via paypal.

Payment sits "Unclaimed" because seller has a problem with account.

Seller said the the email shown on paypal pay to field is incorrect.

So I cancel the payment. (close to $400 on temporary hold mind you)

The the seller then requests the auction be closed.

I decline.

Seller re-lists item.

This all happened less than 24 hrs after auction end!

I asked and asked for them to review their paypal account.

and send me an invoice, to no avail.

Now Im being called a scammer.

BECAUSE I WANT TO PAY HIM!!!!!!!!

bottom line:

SELLERS, UPDATE AND REVIEW YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT, PLEASE!!!!!

This whole paypal scam thing is getting all the challenged users all spooled up for nothing, and if it continues will be more destructive than any hack or scam attempt ever could be...

Just my 2 cents....

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to akashiro305

I emphatically disagree with poster, AveryAveryandEden.  Forgiveness is a gift, not a given.  If a Seller has done nothing to show forth a change of heart, they are not to be trusted, and a buyer should do whatever possible to warn other buyers of inconsistent sellers.  It is a Buyer's Duty.  That's the explicit purpose of Feedback.

Buyers are Caveat Emptor on ebay - no recourse whatsoever.  A Buyer is completely at the mercy of a fickle seller.  What's more, Ebay is impotent to help a buyer that's been screwed over in a transaction.  Ebay has chosen to side with the entity that pays them, and does NOT have the buyer's interest at heart.  BUYER BEWARE! 

Now, for a Price, you can get ebay's Buyer Protection.  In this scenario, you get to pay Ebay to get screwed over, along with getting screwed over by the Seller.  As I said, The Buyer is Caveat Emptor - with no recourse if a seller decides to simply cancel a transaction.

Use at your discretion the Negative feedback to warn other buyers of dangerous sellers.  After all, would you expect a seller that does not work to make you happy, to make others happy?  What tools does a buyer have at his disposal to get  his/her item that they have, in good faith, paid for? 

Or worse, to try to get their money refunded?  At least on Craigslist, if a seller wants your money, you get to meet the seller face-to-face.

NO, I heartily DISAGREE with the previous poster's advice.  Definitely wield Negative feedback in the face of a seller that doesn't satisfy.  It's a Buyers ONLY recourse, and a very pitiful resource at that.

Ebay - a license to steal.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to akashiro305

i have a problem i have purchased a bag and the status was unclaimed for two days so i decided to cancel and when i cancel it i check that they had got the money now i dont know what to do i left a negetive feed back and i also report it help anyone?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to akashiro305

Slightly confused here, but here's my story...

Purchased an item BIN, paid immediately through paypal.

Next day, seller sends out a tracking number.

Following day, receive notice through ebay that seller wants to cancel transaction, due to item not being in stock. (?) and that they already refunded me the purchase price.

with the option to either confirm the cancellation (but only if I hadn't paid or had gotten the refund), or refuse the cancellatiion. I did neither. Checked following day for a paypal refund, which I have yet to receive. I contacted seller through ebay to please refund the purchase price , like they said that they already did. Seller responds, puzzled that I want to cancel the purchase. (!?)

I send the seller a copy of the cancellation order, and again asked to be refunded the purchase price. Seller responds that item is back-ordered.

In the meantime, I purchase same item from different vendor, which I have already received.

Do I accept the cancellation of the purchase, even though I have yet to receive a refund, or do I ride it out, waiting for seller to refund my money, or should I file a case myself?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to akashiro305

I have just had an incidence of the same sort of problem.  I won an auction for a bike and I paid within minutes via paypal.  Now the seller has refunded my money and wants to cancel the transaction because he or she put the wrong delivery information on the listing.  I feel that he or she should go ahead the transaction - he or she had plenty of time to change the delivery arrangement when the auction was live - and I have offered to pay an increased delivery charge if she or he can make delivery arrangements.

I feel that we had both entered freely into a contract and we should both be compelled to stand by our contractual obligations.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to akashiro305

I just left a neutral comment. The seller listed a video card last night (buy it now) and I paid as usual within one minute. Then I got an e-mail after 30 minutes asking for a payment, another e-mail saying "I refunded the money by accident when I was trying to enter tracking info, please pay me via paypal again". I reported the seller to ebay.

The seller has zero feeedback.

Please use plain text.