cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with recent PO Box Address

I got a PO box a couple months ago bc I had an item stolen from my front porch. I had to change my eBay ship address once bc a seller said he wouldn't or can't ship to a PO box so I added a new address that includes the street number 53 ____ Drive #311, ____ ____. VT,  01234 (for example) and on Paypal I have a similar address with both the street address and the #311 for the PO box number (but it doesn't say PO box), and sellers keep emailing me and telling me they need a street address bc UPS won't ship to a PO box. What is up with that?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Can you ask those sellers how they are seeing a PO Box address?

Recheck your eBay shipping address is:

53 Lithium Dr #311
Moderator VT 01234

Not the shipping address saved in your Paypal account: The PayPal shipping address doesn't matter whatsoever.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

@transplantn,

"sellers keep emailing me and telling me they need a street address bc UPS won't ship to a PO box. What is up with that"?

The thing is UPS , Fed Ex, or other comercial services, can not deliver to Post Office boxes, only a street, apartment, or business address.  Items sent via UPSP are shipped to boxes or held in the large package area at the P.O.

If the address you are using 1234 Elm St. #311 does not exist a UPS driver will not leave the package. You need to click on the Payment & Shipping tab on listings to see what service a seller uses.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@transplantn,

I did not think of this until just now.  Most delivery companies UPS. FedEx etc. will if notified by a property owner deliver to a neighbor, if one is available most days or has a secure location for packages. I had to do that at my old house when we rebuilt our front porch.

Since those services have regular drivers for their routes, you can ask them to deliver to another address. or leave items at the back door.  I stopped our driver on the street before we tore down the old porch and let them know who could receive our packages, a neighbor 2 doors down.  Our driver knew me so that wasn't a problem.  If you don't know your driver search online for Hold for Pickup: UPS - UPS.com

they can leave packages at UPS stores or an access point near you. Other companies have the same sort of services. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

The street address I use is the PO street address. 

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

One seller just refunded my money which is discouraging that I wasted my time on his auction. The address I have on file is identical to the address you posted in your reply. I changed it to this after a seller or two told me they won't ship to a PO box.
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

It does exist. This post office has been there for ages.
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

I spoke to UPS on the phone. they will not deliver to a post office and they needed my physical address.  Can I switch to my physical adddress to get UPS shipments sent to my house? 

I'm not going to give up my PO box in order to get UPS things sent here bc most things I buy are shipped via USPS.

FEDEX ships to PO boxes. 

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

No, neither UPS or FedEx do NOT deliver to po boxes. However, FedEx Smartpost uses USPS for the last leg of delivery and will deliver to a po box.  Same with UPS's similar service.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Sign up for USPS Street Addressing to receive FedEx, UPS, etc packages to your PO box if your Post Office participates in the program.

See post 4 in this thread for info:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/PayPal-will-not-send-my-new-debit-card-to-my-PO-Box-address/m-...

See post 16 here for info on which POs offer the service and their capabilities:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Bidding-Buying/PO-box-shipping/m-p/27174422

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I have had regular UPS and FedEx deliveries to my regular PO Box more than once.  Seems to be a regional issue for some reason. 

However, sellers not be permitted to refuse to ship to PO Boxes.  There is no reason they can't use USPS or one of the 'last mile ' services mentioned above.

Literally no reason at all.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

I have had regular UPS and FedEx deliveries to my regular PO Box more than once.  Seems to be a regional issue for some reason. 

However, sellers not be permitted to refuse to ship to PO Boxes.  There is no reason they can't use USPS or one of the 'last mile ' services mentioned above.

Literally no reason at all.

Sellers are allowed to choose whatever shipping method they would prefer to use.  Some sellers may have accounts with UPS or FedEx through their job or other sources that give them discounts.  In the case of heavy things, UPS and FedEx can be more cost-effective than USPS.  It doesn't matter why they choose to offer the shipping service they do-- it's their choice, and if you as the buyer don't like it, you can politely ask if they would consider shipping via an alternate method.  If they say no, then hit the back button and go find another seller.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

There are multiple reasons, the main one being that it's the seller's choice.

Another one is that eBay labels absolutely will NOT permit a PO box address for FedEx Smartpost or FedEx anything labels.

The only option is for the seller or the buyer to massage a PO box address into a street address to bypass the eBay label logic (once again up to the seller's discretion if they feel it may cause problems).

As far as the regional thing: yes sortof. Initially I had thought it would be rolled out universally, but it's been 4? years and still sparse I think. See the second link in my other post - that lists the participating branches and their types (types really only matter to the carriers I believe)
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

What you need for UPS /courier packages is a NO SAFE DROP sign for your house.

And tell any sellers who are shipping by courier to mark the package NO SAFE DROP.

I'm not sure if this is free or not.

Basically it means that the driver will not leave an unattended parcel if you are not home. He will instead leave a Notice telling you where and when you can pick up the shipment.

It may be on the other side of town or out by the airport.Couriers don't set up their warehouses for the convenience of the general public.

Or of course, you could read the Shipping and Handling information and BEFORE bidding ask the seller for a firm quote on USPS shipping, explaining that you cannot allow courier delivery to your home address.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

UPS, FED EX, etc does drop off packages to the local post office for delivery. I happened to be at the post office at the time and saw that some of the parcels has a po box included with the residence address...but then again, where I live it is classified as a rural area and that's the way it's handled, however, it's best that one uses 2 addresses as a buyer/ purchaser from Ebay...add a ship to address for all your purchases and your residence address for all other correspondence.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply