cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inspecting a high vaue item prior to purchase

Located a foam dispensing unit at a initial price of $10,000. I wish to inspect the item prior to purchasing the high value item. Seller indicates ebay won't allow the address to be revealed. How can I get an address for the item?

Thanks

Pat

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@leather47 wrote:

Thank you all for the quick reply. I may have misstated the seller. They said they had been warned by ebay for exchanging address's and where not willing to challenge them on it. They felt we would need to aquire permission to exchange address.

Yes, it is against eBay policy however if the item was listed as "Local Pickup" its not (unless something has changed in the last few days).

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

That's really more of a seller making that decision, then eBay. Without knowing the details, I would be VERY careful with the purchase.

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

@phcd1 wrote:

That's really more of a seller making that decision, then eBay. Without knowing the details, I would be VERY careful with the purchase.

Actually, I'm not sure that is quite accurate, what with, eBay's bots warning so many people about putting personal contact info in messages.

I do agree with the part about being careful though.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 3 of 34
latest reply

@leather47 wrote:

Located a foam dispensing unit at a initial price of $10,000. I wish to inspect the item prior to purchasing the high value item. Seller indicates ebay won't allow the address to be revealed. How can I get an address for the item?

Thanks

Pat

The seller is incorrect. You can send a message to the seller and ask for their address. That is allowed. Exchanging emails and phone numbers is forbidden.

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

Thank you all for the quick reply. I may have misstated the seller. They said they had been warned by ebay for exchanging address's and where not willing to challenge them on it. They felt we would need to aquire permission to exchange address.

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

@leather47 wrote:

And the seller is correct, ebay does not want any contact information exchanged. And the offers to buy outside ebay policy says that the sellers address cannot be posted without permission from ebay. Its this policy that is getting both buyers and sellers warnings and suspensions even when they weren't trying to arrange a sale outside of ebay https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/rfe-spam-non-ebay-sale.html

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 6 of 34
latest reply

If the seller wantedto make the sale he would find a way to get you his address( personal email or the other) I personally would not go and inspect ( Unless its a VERY PUBLIC place)

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

@leather47 wrote:

Yes, it is against eBay policy however if the item was listed as "Local Pickup" its not (unless something has changed in the last few days).

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

@phcd1 wrote:

@leather47 wrote:

Something did change, I need to find the posts because I'm not sure what exactly it was but ebay is tightening things up and they don't want info exchanged! And the bots are out of control, there is atleast 1 seller who got suspended for trying to do off eBay transactions When that's not the case! eBay has been cracking down and innocent members are getting caught in it! I don't blame OPs seller here.

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

The change is the summary 2017 update. It's not against policy to give out the address in a message but as a result of the summer 2017 update, there are evidently some issues with the bots where contact info in messages is being blocked and in some cases if it's not blocked the bots are picking up on the contact info and members are getting busted for trying to do off eBay sales. One seller is a manufacturer and he gave out his phone number to his buyer who needed tech support and or customer service and got suspended! 

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

@missjen316 wrote:

The change is the summary 2017 update. It's not against policy to give out the address in a message but as a result of the summer 2017 update, there are evidently some issues with the bots where contact info in messages is being blocked and in some cases if it's not blocked the bots are picking up on the contact info and members are getting busted for trying to do off eBay sales. One seller is a manufacturer and he gave out his phone number to his buyer who needed tech support and or customer service and got suspended! 

@missjen831 I know there have been issues, heck I even received a couple of those messages. Now, what was interesting, I had an on eBay sale last month (it was listed on eBay), but it was being offered as local pickup as an option (shipping was an option too). It wasn't on this id or I'd show it to you. The buyer contacted me through eBay messaging that he is local and wanted to pick it up (for cash BTW). I said sure (all through eBay messaging). The buyer purchased (that might be the key here) the item with BIN, but did not pay (at my suggestion). Soon, eBay started bugging the buyer about paying, so to stop the messages I marked it paid (even though it wasn't). The next day he picked it up for cash. I marked it shipped at that point with no tracking #. I never once got any messages from eBay on that one. I didn't take a ding on my shipping w/o tracking which I thought was interesting either. It was only a $20, not $10K but it did work with no issues. I really think the BIN made it OK at that point.

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

I think the nastygrams started more this month, not last month. That's probably why you didn't get one.

Okay, but you get all of the seller information when you buy anything from him

Have him set up a private listing for you (one day auction, your name as title, penny listing)

Win and get the Paypal invoice. Pay the penny.

Now you have all his info.

On a $10,000 sale I'd risk up to a nickel.

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

@lynnscollectiblesnstuff wrote:

If the seller wantedto make the sale he would find a way to get you his address( personal email or the other) I personally would not go and inspect ( Unless its a VERY PUBLIC place)

How?

Neither the seller nor the potential buyer have each other's email addresses, and email addresses can't be transmitted via eBay messaging - now by explicit policy decree and bot actions, and in the recent past due to the bots flagging and warning on even fairly heavily obfuscated email addresses.

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

...Now you have all his info.

LOL

laughing

Message 15 of 34
latest reply