eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

I have a question...why do people bid on your items and then not pay for them?

I have had 3 seperate occasions where people have bid on my items and never paid for them? They bid at the minimum bid, of course they only had a 2 - 5 rating, but still, how do I prevent this from happening? Its so frusterating.

Please use plain text.
*partly*cloudy*
Community Member

Re: I have a question...why do people bid on your items and then not pay for them?

[ Edited ]
in reply to judge52
I think some people forget and some people change their mind. Anyway, they'll get a strike against them for the unpaid items. You should block anybody who does that. There's nothing you can do to prevent bidders from doing the same thing in the future. You could, however, just list everything at Buy It Now.
"Here Comes the Sun..." — George Harrison | Abbey Road > 1969
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: I have a question...why do people bid on your items and then not pay for them?

in reply to judge52
You can block both of them from bidding on your items ever again.
Please use plain text.
waffles202011
Community Member

in reply to judge52

That my friend is the million dollar question.......

But you can do something to prevent this from happening.   Use BIN in your listings, and then require immediate payment on those items.   When you tick the box under your paypal addy when you list an item to require immediate payment the item is not sold until a payment is made for the item.   It sure saves a lot of headaches.

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~
never approach a bull from the front,
never approach a horse from the rear
and never approach a fool from any direction
~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~
I am a buyer and a seller (on sellers account since 2004) so I am here to help others when I can and learn from others when there is something that I don't know.
Please use plain text.
the_right_stuff99
Community Member

in reply to judge52

Have you set your bidder blocks to block anyone with 2 or more Unpaid Item strikes? Have you filed Unpaid Item Disputes against the non-payers? It's the only way to flag them to protect other sellers, and to get your fees refunded.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to judge52

If you are being bothered by Non-Paying Bidders set up a "deadbeat blockade" (won't keep 'em all away -- but will cut down on the influx)

Go to your "Account Settings" (in the drop-down under "Hi, -- your name --"; or on your "My eBay" page)

Set the "Buyer Requirements" to "Block buyers with 2 or more unpaid item strikes in the past 12 months"

eBay will automatically such buyers from bidding on or buying your items.  (you can't see the strikes -- eBay keeps the file)

If non-payers do get past the block ---

File an Unpaid Item Claim through Resolution Center (you must wait at least 2 days but no more than 32 days from end of auction before filing)

If still not paid after waiting at least another 4 days, close the claim; issue the unpaid item strike; get your final value fees refunded

Put the non-paying bidder's ID onto your Block Bidder List middle column  of Site Map (link at the bottom of any eBay page)

Please use plain text.
plpmr
Community Member

in reply to judge52

Another seller who is a member of the 'I find not getting paid a positive experience' club moaning about not getting paid!

It's a serious policy violation to leave a buyer false positives and that can damage your account.

You cannot warn off others.

You cannot accuse them of not paying.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to plpmr

what the hell are you talking about! positive experience?  the o.p is just asking a straightfoward question

Please use plain text.
triyarn
Community Member

in reply to th2013.ablet

It has been 7 months since PLP posted.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Never ignore coincidence. Unless, of course, you’re busy. In which case, always ignore coincidence.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to th2013.ablet

th2013.ablet wrote:

what the hell are you talking about! positive experience?  the o.p is just asking a straightfoward question

Great first post. Maybe next time find a thread that isn't half a year old?

Please use plain text.
woodland_gnome
Community Member

in reply to th2013.ablet

What was meant by "positive experience" is that the poster who asked the question left a POSITIVE rating for the transaction that s/he is complaining about.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to th2013.ablet

th2013.ablet wrote:

What are they talking about? ---

"'I find not getting paid a positive experience' club"  is a sarcastic reference to the many sellers who -----

1. Leave Positive Feedback (usually with a comment about the non-payment) for Non-Paying Bidders.  Sellers are only allowed to leave Positive Feedback for Buyers.  If they do not have anything positive to say, their only option is to say nothing .(NOT LEAVE ANY FEEDBACK)
  2. Do not file Unpaid Item Claims then wait an additional 4 days to close the claim and issue the Unpaid Item Strike (if the item remains unpaid).  If the claim were filed and a strike issued, neither buyer nor seller could leave feedback.
  3. Do not go to their Account Settings and set their "Buyer Requirements" to "Block buyers with 2 or more unpaid item strikes in the past 12 months"   eBay will automatically block such deadbeats from bidding.
  4. Then, come here to the boards complaining about the number of Unpaid Items they are experiencing.

If these sellers do not like having unpaid items, why are they leaving those Positive Feedback for the deadbeats?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to anonymoose99

pretty_good_week_in_vegas wrote:

th2013.ablet wrote:

Great first post. Maybe next time find a thread that isn't half a year old?

The immortal words of Foghorn Leghorn come to mind: "That boy's got a mind like a steel trap — full of mice."

Please use plain text.
fshardy
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to th2013.ablet

th2013.ablet wrote:

If an Unpaid Item Dispute is concluded in the seller's favour, neither party can leave feedback.

Ergo, it may be concluded that in order to leave that false positive, the seller has foregone filing the UID, has foregone the possibility of the buyer being given an Unpaid Item Strike, has chosen to eat the Final Value Fees which were incurred on the sale, and to risk his or her own account status by opening up the possibility of getting a policy violation recorded against his or her account for the false positive.

And for what?  The seller has chosen a path which has cost them money and puts their selling account at risk ... precisely why?  To leave feedback for that non-paying buyer?  Why? The chances of anyone actually seeing that feedback at a time which will allow them to do something about the situation are few to none.  It won't be seen at all if that non-paying buyer does a BIN.  The seller probably wouldn't have time to react if the non-payer bid late enough in an auction.  Even if the bid was placed with enough time left to give the seller the ability to react, there's no guarantee the seller will see the feedback, and the bid cancellation can give the false impression (especially in some minds) that it's the seller who is doing something wrong.

Now it's your turn.  You tell me what the seller gained by that particular path of action.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to judge52
with your dsrs I don't think you'll be frustrated as a seller much longer
Please use plain text.