cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY PROTECTS SCAMMERS

IT IS A FACT...eBay PROTECT scammers. eBay's T's & C's are DESIGNED to PREVENT you,me...US from making public, a scammers ID, under the "Name and Shame" rule.

A dishonest seller can set-up a couple of accounts, more I guess. A seller can THEN sell...Laptops? TO HIMSELF if he gets greedy, and he can do this, in part, because eBay will CHANGE his ID when he BIDS "to protect the bidders ID".

OK, so eBay change his ID...so we don't see, say (Oh, and this IS a made-up name you understand, so no "name and shame" issues) muppets-are-us, bidding on the auction of ? now LET me see??.. YES, I got it...how about "muppets-are-us? Ummm, a bit obvious?, well what if we CHANGE the ID of the "bidder", to (protect his identity, obviously. Nothing? underhand...Honest) Change it to  a***t , as eBay will alway's replace the true ID with a 5 character one.

It wouldn't be obvious what he is doing...to US, but eBay would see it for what it is, and what does eBay do about it?...OH well THAT'S simple. They BILL the seller a HIGHER FVF

Do YOU think you've spotted a scammer? a "bidder ID" that crops up in a certain sellers auctions time and time AND time again?, well, here's a tip...look at the FEEDBACK score, cos eBay will change the sellers ID, but the FEEDBACK score stays the same, so for example

muppets-are-us (107) &  a***t (107), get it?. And when muppets-are-us gets feedback, so goes to (108), check-out a***t, and see if it has ALSO gone up 1...SIMPLES, YES.

Smiley Wink

ALL THE BEST

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

EBAY PROTECTS SCAMMERS

well, here's a tip...look at the FEEDBACK score, cos eBay will change the sellers ID, but the FEEDBACK score stays the same, so for example

muppets-are-us (107) &  a***t (107), get it?. And when muppets-are-us gets feedback, so goes

to (108), check-out a***t, and see if it has ALSO gone up 1...SIMPLES, YES.

Ummm... even if a seller has more than one account, their feedback doesn't get posted to every account. If you leave a seller feedback on the ID xyz, the feedback count for the account abc  doesn't go up one 😞

It is nearly impossible for a seller to have the exact same feedback score on two accounts. (And you are allowed more than one account, BTW)

It stands to reason that in a successful transaction, both the buyer's score and the seller's feedback score go up by one....that's the way it is supposed to work.

I have had buyers that had the same amount of feedback that I had at that point in time....it's rare, but it happens.

Unless you have other "proof" you are tilting at windmills.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 2 of 39
latest reply

EBAY PROTECTS SCAMMERS

I highly doubt that it's possible for a seller to bid on his/her own auctions using the same ID under which the item is listed.  Of course, with hidden IDs, we don't know who is bidding or buying, so you have to make sure you're comfortable with the seller's reputation and listing before buying.  

Message 3 of 39
latest reply

EBAY PROTECTS SCAMMERS

I couldn't get through your rant because all the commentary makes it impossible to read. If you have a question post it. If your ranting, leave out all the commentary. Just a suggestion for people like me with short attention spans.
Message 4 of 39
latest reply

EBAY PROTECTS SCAMMERS

Why would a seller sell laptops to himself and pay  listing fees and final value fees on the laptops?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 5 of 39
latest reply

EBAY PROTECTS SCAMMERS

@removaldog,

The one thing you keep leaving out is that eBay tracks ISP addresses. So if a seller wants to bid on their own items they would need two IDs and 2 computers hooked up to two different ISPs to do that.  If they ever let the two IDs interact on the same ISP, ebay would know it.

There are ways around that Ex; two separate people on 2 computers, in communication with one another. However if the shill keep winning, they are not doing themelves any favors. Do you really think eBay doesn't track the number of canclations or UIDs a seller has to file?  They certainly do not do much about buyers canceling or retracting bids.

It also is not unusual for the same people to bid on items in the same category over and over. Especially in collectibles categories.  I used to see many of the same people bidding against me over and over, on different seller's items, and on sellers who sell only in one category items. There even used to be b*tch sessions after some auctions, between the bidders all of whom were serious about the items. Some of us even know each others scrambled IDs, or can guess by our feedback numbers. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 39
latest reply

EBAY PROTECTS SCAMMERS

@bonjourami wrote:

Why would a seller sell laptops to himself and pay  listing fees and final value fees on the laptops?

Their profit margin would be very, very small....

Message 7 of 39
latest reply

EBAY PROTECTS SCAMMERS

The feedback number being the same wouldn't be a clue at all.  A seller can't bid on their auction using the same account. They would have to use a different account and the feedback number would not likely be the exact same number   

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 8 of 39
latest reply

EBAY PROTECTS SCAMMERS

What you seem to be referring to is not just scamming, it is shilling. That is actually ruled against on Ebay, it is also against the law. You really do need to be careful before accusing someone of a crime.

Do shill bidder exist, yes, the can though it is not near so prevalent as some people think. Ebay does actively seek them out with more resources than a buyer or seller has. They do have sophisticated systems which can trace IPs, record percentage biddings, etc.

These accusations should not be made lightly and certainly not without proof positive

Message 9 of 39
latest reply

EBAY PROTECTS SCAMMERS

I can only guess that the seller will tell eBay some SOB story as to why the buyer has pulled out.

remember eBay change a sellers ID when he/she bids?

I can ID a seller with a feedback score of 990, and a bidder with a feedback score of 990

ANOTHER seller with a feedback score of 107, and another bidder with a feedback of 107

The FEEDBACK score is KEY to identifying  SCAMMERS, since eBay will change your ID when you bid, but you get to KEEP your feedback.... Sellers FB goes up 1...bidders FB goes up 1

I have found a 3rd bidder, key to this scam....only has a FB score of 11, but has a retraction rate of 24 in the past 30 days, and 271 in the past 6 months, and bids in BOTH sellers auctions.

I have seen the ID History of BOTH sellers, and the names they've had over the past 2 years, and how they CHANGED ID (1 three times, the other four times)...on EXACTLY the SAME dates, with EXACTLY the SAME error on both histories   

I have sent 1 community member the proof via a private message, as if I was to put it out on this forum, it would be removed, and me banned.  

Message 10 of 39
latest reply

EBAY PROTECTS SCAMMERS

I have a FB score of 462. when I bid, eBay will change my ID to? say  a***a   so in an auction, YOU will see me as  a***a (462) SO, I have 2 ID's...my ACTUAL ID you will see, if I sell, and a***a when I bid. 

Do you think it's a coincidence that the people I have had in my "watch list" have the EXACT same FB as each other now, as they did back in November?. That every time the "sellers" FB went up 1, just by chance, the person I believe to be the sellers "bidding ID" ALSO went up 1. And that it's just  chance that these "5" people (2 seller ID's, so 2 bidderID's, and a 5th, if you include a "bidding" only ID, are alway's in each others auctions?

Message 11 of 39
latest reply

EBAY PROTECTS SCAMMERS

It doesn't matter what the anonymized version of the Ebay id looks like. Ebay does NOT allow sellers to bid on their own listings with the same id. You are wrong.

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

EBAY PROTECTS SCAMMERS

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

It doesn't matter what the anonymized version of the Ebay id looks like. Ebay does NOT allow sellers to bid on their own listings with the same id. You are wrong.

This a seller cannot bid on their own items.  The system does not allow it.   If you are seeing a bid with the same feedback number as the seller and yes even if it goes up when the sellers goes up it really is just a coincidence. Put something up to sell and see if you can bid on it.  It doesn't work 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 13 of 39
latest reply

EBAY PROTECTS SCAMMERS

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

This a seller cannot bid on their own items.  The system does not allow it.   If you are seeing a bid with the same feedback number as the seller and yes even if it goes up when the sellers goes up it really is just a coincidence. Put something up to sell and see if you can bid on it.  It doesn't work 

Do you have positive proof of this? When I view my auctions the bid box is there. I don't want to try and place a bid because I don't want to have to retract it or trigger something.

Message 14 of 39
latest reply

EBAY PROTECTS SCAMMERS

You cannot bid on your own auctions with the same computer..your isp i.d. identifies you and blocks your bid.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 15 of 39
latest reply