eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

Is this a Steiff Navy Goat?

Hey, I hope that you guys can help me with this goat. I'm thinking that it is the Steiff Navy Goat without the Navy Blanket that goes on his back. What do you think? I have looked all over the internet but just want to get some second thoughts.

Thanks,

Please use plain text.
frodo49343
Community Member

Re: Is this a Steiff Navy Goat?

in reply to seeyoufriday
I checked pictures of goats and also the mascot goats (there is a seated version as well as standing) in several books, as well as the Sortiment. Your boy is actually "Rocky," a Steinbock (I used Babelfish to translate Steinbock and got "Capricorn"). He is very, very close to the standing navy mascot goat, except for one thing. The mascot animals had glass "googly" or "character" eyes and your guy has standard glass eyes. They are beautiful eyes, though. Rocky was manufactured from 1963-1976 and his value in the Sortiment is a 3 (except for the smallest size that was made after 1968, which is worth a little less for some reason). 3=50 to 125 Euros. That is book value and not auction value.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to seeyoufriday
Thank you so much for your help. I feel I was so lucky to have found him. I know as soon as I felt him that he had to be a Steiff. I know that he does not have his button, but do you think that it takes a whole lot away from his value? Lesa
Please use plain text.
frodo49343
Community Member

in reply to seeyoufriday
Lack of a button doesn't affect value to any great degree. The knowledgeable collectors all recognize Steiffs like this with no need for buttons or tags. And conversely, there are fakes out there with buttons. The only time that having a button intact would really make a difference would be in a pre-WWII Steiff with the stock tag still under it (then there would be an -ff button and say, a red or white tag with numbers on it) or in the case of a very early item with an elephant button or (even earlier) the hang tag with the elephant on it. The other id that can get collectors extra-interested is the 1950-52 "made in occuppied Germany" cloth leg tag. None of those apply to your guy, so I wouldn't worry too much that he's lost his button.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Please use plain text.