cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge Price Differences in Barbie Clothes

I am curious as to the huge price difference in final bids on similar styled handmade barbie dresses. One of the dresses below sold for $71 and another similar style one sold for $12.  I am seeing this on multiple barbie handmade clothes auctions.  Can you tell which one sold for $71 and which one sold for $12??

pink.jpgblue.jpg

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

PM me if you care to discuss at length. I posted some thoughts under the collector thread for you. The blue dress was drafted by the seller who doesn't rely on ready made patterns - the bodices are usually lined...(no not me ,no not a relative - I've bought a few of their dresses before they got so pricey and I have a suit from you.) The waist fits tighter than the pink one. The pink one would be prettier w/o the lace w/ just the jewelry on the side of the bodice rather than the front center. The pink fabric would make up nicely as  a faux two piece sheath dress w/ a solid on the top and the geometric on the bottom. That way the cute geometric is a focal feature and not hidden amoung gathers ... A lot of sewing for collectors is to not over embelish the clothing, like putting too many rows of ribbon on the dresses (the bust , the waist, near the hem) - though they are charming for a young collector and  very well made to hold up to playtime  a serious collector only wants a few sets like that. They are very desirable for doting grandparents buying clothes for the grandkids' dolls.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Appreciate your time helping me winterwow.  Your insight and tips are very helpful.  I'd like to comment that the seller who made the blue dress uses the exact same bodice pattern on most of her dresses.  We all use the same exact patterns.  I also line my outfits.  My pink dress is a near identical copy of a this same seller's dress,including the lace collar and embellishment that sold for over $100 a few weeks ago. 

I never expected to get $100 for my pink dress.  But there are 15 to 20 of us sellers making dresses near indentical to the seller above, and only getting $10 to $12 for them.  It's unusual that one particular seller stands out so incredibly far from the rest of us.  I shall past your nice advice onto the other seller's that are having difficulty getting bids on their handmade barbie outfits. 

: )

Message 3 of 3
latest reply