• Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Answer
Community Member
Accepted Solution
view count

Hello. Does looking at your own eBay sales item while logged in increase the "view" count for that sales item? Or is eBay's interface programmed not to include the seller's own "looks" at his or her items? I am interested in knowing how many other "non-me" people are looking at the item and am currently trying to refrain from looking at my own ads (while logged in) to prevent an inflated "view" count. Thank you.

Accepted Solutions: 2
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sewtv

The counters count "1" view per person, including yours.

People can look at your listing 5, 6, 15 times and it will only be counted as "1" view. ;-)

lacemaker3
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sewtv

Yes, when the seller views the listing, that does increase the "view" count.

However, the software is smart enough to know when the same user views the listing again, so it only increases the view count once per user. It (usually) doesn't go up again when the same user (whether seller or potential buyer) views the listing more than once.

Other Answers: 8
lasvegascandy
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sewtv

I agree with the above poster....each and every time I look at my item, the 'view count' increases by 1.

That is pretty silly as it should recognize IP addresses at least.

lacemaker3
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sewtv

j

Community Member
Answered
in reply to sewtv

As of 04/19/2012 everytime I look at my listed item it increases the view count. This never happened in the past. What's up with that?

Community Member
Answered
in reply to sewtv

This is not true. My listing has counted me as a view everytime I have looked at it. Why? I don't know and I think it is LAME!!

Community Member
Answered
in reply to sewtv

Thank you both.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to sewtv

Whenever I log out of ebay and then log back in and then look at my listing, it does raise the view count every time.  So the view count is not an accurate number.  Although I haven't posted anything lately until today, it was happening on my last few previous listings.  Today after posting my one listing, I was curious;  and after the 2 views I always seem to get after immediately posting anything, I signed out and in three times and viewed my listing each time and now my count is at 5.  I guess if one wanted to they could just keep adding up the numbers.  Would this be an advantage (showing more interest in the item perhaps)?  I would prefer an accurate number.  If I look at my listing more than once during one log in, it only registers one view from me.

cbprsr911
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sewtv

I have noticed in recent months that my items get up to 5 view counts before they are even publically posted. It takes at least 20 min and sometimes hours for a listing to show publically in a search.

Is the ebay automated security rotots inspecting the listings?

Or is ebay hyping up the traffic to show activity that doesnt exist?

Community Member
Answered
in reply to sewtv

Just guessing here, but I bet what eBay does is count "views" from unique devices, not unique people. In other words, if you're not logged in, and just searching in eBay, viewing the page once from your laptop and then again from your phone browser would count as two separate views even though it's only one person doing the viewing.