eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

Test of a new item page design

Hello everybody,

My name is Subha and I work in eBay’s product management team and specifically manage the item page on the website. As you might have heard, we are starting to test a new design of the item page and I am sure you have questions and comments on whats going on as I recognize how important this page is to all of you. So, I wanted to start this thread to help understand the background of this change and answer any questions you may have. Apologize for the long first post, but I wanted to set the context clearly upfront.

Q1) Firstly, why are we doing this change?
A1) The last re-design we did in 2003 improved our business metrics greatly (i.e., bids/ BINs per item page view). Since then the metrics have flattened and buyers are telling us that there is room for improvement. To understand what to improve better, we did a user research phase in 2007 for 8 months where we talked to thousands of buyers and sellers across the world on their impressions about the current item page, since the last re-design in 2003. These are the top 5 issues we heard from you

1. Lack of Organization. The item page could more effectively optimize allocation of prime screen real estate, facilitate comparison of items, and make distinct groups of information discernible at a glance

2. Inadequate Pictures. Pictures are an invaluable tool for buyers and eBay pictures were considered inadequate due to small size, poor quality, and overwhelming emphasis on text information.

3. Lack of Awareness of Functionality. Desired functionality often goes unnoticed due to haphazard placement and redundancy of elements

4. Information Density. Information not effectively prioritized to determine what must be presented directly on View Item page and what can be made available indirectly to reduce clutter and improve ease of finding desired information.

5. Lack of Inspiration to Buy. The spirit of fun and competition are missing. There are opportunities to enhance the experience through real-time countdown tickers, flagging bad sellers, providing total cost information, speed bidding and more…

Now that we knew what the issues were, we went back and dug deeper into which groups of information displayed on the item page was more important for the buyers to help make an effective purchase decision. Again, we sampled around 10,000 users, both buyers and sellers and this is the priority order of information that was important for the buyers overall.

1. Info about the item listed on eBay including the photo, description and current bid-price

2. Info about the status of the auction including the end time, bid history and your maximum bid for the item

3. Shipping and payment information including shipping cost, available shipping methods, acceptableforms of payment, and return policy

4. Info about the seller of the item including their name, feedback score, feedback comments, and other items for sale

5. Actions you can take on an item such as watching the item, bidding, buying, and contacting the seller of the item

6. Info about sellers store and policies including their other items for sale, shipping and return policy and their contact information

7. Ability to see related eBay listings such as accessories for an item, related search results, and recommended items

In addition to the above, we also have technical reasons for the re-design. We have security concerns such as BIN over-writes and performance issues with slow loading of the item page, where we believe there is an opportunity to improve.

Taking these issues and recommendations into consideration, we developed a new design of the item page as shown below
Photobucket

The high-level goals of the re-design are
1) make the item the center of attention for the page that will inspire the buyers
2) de-clutter and simplify features, remove redundant or sparsely used features
3) improve the business metrics by providing an easier-to-use item page and resulting transaction flow

The key feature highlights as you can see from above are
1) bigger, better pictures (size increased by from 200% - 300%)
2) real-time countdown timer in the last 24 hours of an auction,
3) tab layout,
4) key item info made more prominent – return policy, payment options, item condition, etc
5) new store header,
6) active content restrictions through description domain split,
7) bidding layers made the de-facto bidding model for signed-in users
8) merchandising recommendations and
9) last viewed items module.

Please also check out the following for more details – an overview of the changes - http://pages.ebay.com/newitempage/ and the FAQ for more details – http://pages.ebay.com/sell/June2008Update/faq/index.html#31

I am sure you have questions and comments on whats going on, so pls post here on the board, so we have a central place to discuss. I look forward to discussing them with you. Also, if you are part of the test, you will see a feedback link at the top of the page for a short period of time through which we encourage you to send us direct feedback too.

Now, for some housekeeping stuff –
1) for store sellers, we have a consolidated stores board at http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?threadID=1000722034&start=40 . I encourage you to ask store specific questions there as the stores team, apart from myself are partnering to answer your questions,
2) I will be back twice a week to answer questions on this board – potentially every Tuesday and Friday. Rest assured, I read all the posts.
3) I will also post shortly a seller-focussed FAQ that explains in detail what changes, if any, need to be done by the seller.

Let me know if you have any questions and suggestions on how we could partner better on this and how I can also communicfate better to all of you.

Looking forward to this journey and your valuable feedback,

Subha Shetty
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sushetty@ebay.com
Most sellers IMO don't care how much tweaking you guys do -- all we want is the ability back to neg buyers that deserve it.

OR

To remove buyers' ability to neg us.

In other words

Let's get a level fair playing field going here.
OOAKlogo
Here there be bargains! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
cchakurda
Community Member

Does the new design take into consideration the DIAL UP users?

Having to click those tabs to get information that should be easily found when opening a listing will be a deterrent for them.

Carol

I live in Stafford County Virginia where the tornados and floods have occurred. The repairs are almost completed and I've started re-organizing my eBay office & storage room!

Carol

Did you see the sale in my store yet? Well check again the sale items change every few days!

Please use plain text.
virginia4427
Community Member

Leave it alone! It is one of the few things "untweaked" and still working properly.
Cthulhu '08 Why Vote For The Lesser Evil?
 photo ValCandy00.gif
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Speak of the Devil...

She's back. :^O

Same tired old new listing page format, nothing new... no listening to what sellers are saying. Glad I shut my store down, not going from having a full navigational box to only four links at the top.
Please use plain text.
pahoo
Community Member

I don't list many auctions so maybe I'm wrong.

I was under the impression that sellers paid to advertise their own widgets.. not the competitions.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I also think the new search and the new listing page is terrible. I fell into the new search yesterday and wasn't able to find a darned thing.
I am not fond of the 'related items' on the right hand side of the page. I am paying to promote my items, not other sellers items.

Please DON'T click the picture above :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I was under the impression that sellers paid to advertise their own widgets.. not the competitions.

That was the old eBay. This is the new and improved eBay.

Related items from other sellers takes the place of store navigational boxes and our terms of sale.

Instead of allowing us to have our shipping options and payment options on our listing page, eBay says they need to be in tabs because they were slowing down the listing page load time (direct from Subha from original thread on this board). Obviously pictures from competitors don't slow down page loads?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

And who determines what a "related" item is? If the algorithm that determines related items is even half as rotten as the one used for "best match" (a misnomer to end ALL misnomers), no doubt all sorts of ridiculous nonsense will show up on my listings.

Sellers don't want "related" items on their listings. You can't possibly believe they do. How absurd.
I assure you, Mother is just following a train of thought to a logical, yet absurd conclusion.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

1) for store sellers, we have a consolidated stores board at http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?threadID=1000722034&start=40 . I encourage you to ask store specific questions there as the stores team, apart from myself are partnering to answer your questions,

ROFLMAO... you guys must be doing some serious pondering over these questions since you ain't been back in a long long time :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Requiring buyers to access the information through multiple tabs is a silly idea. Information density (4 above) is a frivilous exercise since the information is currently on one page. Lack of Inspiration to Buy (5 above) is obviously not being comprehended because buyer reluctancy is due to eBay purposely neglecting to deal with troublesome sellers.

In my opinion, continually mucking up the works to cater to the sellers that are not successful or to the buyers that want something for nothing and want that information at a glance is one step closer to failure of the entire site.

I have nothing constructive to add because past history indicates this is an exercise in sportsmanship when eBay has no intention of having any players in the game.

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps
if you are not willing to move your feet.

"A vision without a plan is just a hallucination" - Will Rogers
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Ya mean a seller will pay to list an item & have other's item showing for comparison?

eBay I don't see you showing other auction sites on your pages that we can go click & going shopping at:_|

Get ready----here we go AGAIN-----
Please use plain text.
Community Member

eBay has been showing the page for several months now and despite all the objections from sellers, they are dead set to go ahead with it just as it is no matter what we think.

At one point on the orginal thread on this subject, on this board, Subha said we could 'opt out' of the related items box but since then that thread has been zapped by eBay and they no longer say we can have that option.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I'm wondering how many more good sellers eBay needs to lose before someone sharpens a pencil and starts really getting down to business around here.
OOAKlogo
Here there be bargains! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Since then the metrics have flattened and buyers are telling us that there is room for improvement.

I'm thinking that the search issues would more than flatline buyers. We can't find the stuff we're looking for, only what eBay THINKS we're looking for.

I think that putting the large photo and the big photo up top before the buyer has even the slightest inclination to READ THE LISTING before placing a bid is a huge mistake for both buyers and sellers.

Additionally, the additional tabs on the page essentially "hide" the terms of sale - another huge mistake for both buyers and sellers.

The tabs also are awkward, undoubtedly SLOW and again a waste of time. Did we not learn that lesson from the SYI form? That's why it's back to essentially one important page and one page of listing upgrades?

The description width of 710 pixels (not mentioned in the OP) is restrictive in terms of layout size and a focus on photos.

And as Pahoo said, I'm not going to be too thrilled when potential buyers are lured away from my listing to visit a competitors similar item.

I'm not too thrilled about this, no matter what hat I wear. ALL of the new pages are slow to load, hard to read, and difficult to navigate.

Why can't we just keep make it simple? .

Sometimes I'm an angel and sometimes I'm cruel;
but when it comes to love, I'm just another fool.

Sometimes I'm an angel and sometimes I'm cruel;
but when it comes to love, I'm just another fool.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Fire the person that made Neutral Feedback change to Negative Feedback.....then fire everyone that agreed with that idea.

The new feedback system dropped my % from 99.7 to 97.2

Thanks

Please use plain text.
funboy1227
Community Member

Hey Subha????

Instead of showing Related Ebay items from other sellers, why not show related Amazon items??? or related items on the Sears website?

This is a stupid move---much more stupid than the "Neutral = a Negative" feedback move.

Who comes up with these ideas?

Do ANY of the people with these goofball ideas EVER list their items in ebay?

I can't help but wonder how well Ebay's stock would perform if you folks would listen to the Buyers & Sellers, and QUIT TRYING TO REINVENT THE WHEEL!

(sorry about the ALLCAPS, but I need some way to convey my anger at the stupidity of this proposed change.)

I have visited 42 states. 15 more, and I'll catch Obama's Campaign Tour!

I've been told that money cannot buy happiness.... But I would like the opportunity to test that theory.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I like some of the changes, especially the larger picture. I don't think the tabs are really a bad idea, but I am concerned that some lazy buyers will never look at that and then complain about the return policy or shipping methods.

You state that you will be "flagging" bad "sellers". Well, there you go again, picking on us. How about flagging the bad "buyers" too? Believe it or not, they really are out there. We sellers are not out to get the buyers.

I really don't like the related items function. I just don't think that I should have to advertise someone else's product. Besides, won't all those photo's slow the loading time for those buyers with dial up? You know buyers aren't going to like that.

Live simply. Love generously.
Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Click for New Richmond, Wisconsin Forecast
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Sounds like a lot of folks can now view the new page live. If you look at listings at the top of the page there is a link to view the new page. (I've not found that link yet but many others on other boards have reported seeing it).
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Oh, I just thought of one other thing on the "related items" field. Instead of showing the competition, why not just show some of the sellers other items. If you have to add another field to slow things down, at least make it a positive move for the seller and buyer alike.

Click for New Richmond, Wisconsin Forecast
Please use plain text.