eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Accepted Solution
Why did eBay not charge sales tax for me?

I have my account set up to use the sales tax table, so eBay will charge sales tax on any product sold in CA. Yet the last product that I sold was not charged sales tax.

Accepted Solutions: 2
clever_never
Community Member
Answered
in reply to cecwheels

Those three don't have any sales tax listed, even though it's mentioned in the description,

It should always show up on the 'payments and shipping' tab of the listing.,

You don't have the tax table set up right

Go to myeBay/ account / site preferences / payments from buyers

and set up the tax table again

When you click 'save' at the bottom of the tax table, it will be applied to all your current listings.

craneclimber1
Community Member
Answered
in reply to cecwheels

and where did you ship the item to?

Other Answers: 7
jfortunes
Community Member
Answered
in reply to cecwheels

Not only is it necessary to have your particular sales tax table set up correctly, it is also necessary  to "tell" each and every listing to "use the tax table."

Could  THAT be your trouble?

When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters. One represents danger and the other represents opportunity. . . . . John F. Kennedy
disneyshopper
Community Member
Answered
in reply to cecwheels

I have no problems with buyers in CA paying 7.75% sales tax.

I just checked my Paypal account > Profile > My seeling tools > Sales tax, and I do NOT have anything set up there.  I suspect you would need it if you have your own website, and buyers pay through the website, rather than paying through eBay.

As for double charging for sales tax if both eBay and Paypal are set up to charge sales tax, I have no idea.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to cecwheels

ecklit I have done that many times. I did it again just like you said. I am not sure what can be done to fix this. I have setup my paypal account to charge sales tax in CA will this double charge sales tax?

glenda
Community Member
Answered
in reply to cecwheels

Hi cecwheels

I think, unfortunately, that you are going to have to 'eat' this tax as well.  It's against eBay policy to ask for more money after the buyer has paid what was automatically invoiced.

disneyshopper
Community Member
Answered
in reply to cecwheels

I looked at 300741309766 and I see you are using Sales Manager Pro.

I don't use that, so is there a setting in that program to use your sales tax table?

lynnscollectiblesnstuff
Community Member
Answered
in reply to cecwheels

was the buyer in CA.?

Community Member
Answered
in reply to cecwheels

oops yes the item was sold in CA and our business is in CA. We had this same issue with another item and just ate the tax, but now after I set up the tax table for eBay to still not charge sales tax is absured. It creates a lot of problems with buyers. Now how do I go about getting the sales tax for this item? Send a request through paypal but then paypal will charge fees will it not?