eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

my_special_paradise
Community Member

Who bought eBay ... terrorists?

With all these constant changes, tweaks, through-out eBay ... don't you wonder if eBay was actually bought by terrorists? Am I alone in constantly finding myself confused when page layouts look different from what they were yesterday, and have been for years? And what's with this "your photo of the item must come up to our standards"  dictatorship crapola?! Has eBay forgotten that they are a paid service and not the owners of our stores and our merchndise? I think so! Seriously ... what gives them the right to end a listing just because the listing photo is not up to their standards of perfection? If they keep going in the direction they are going in ... there will be no stores for customers to shop in. And what about this nonsense of getting 500 free listings per month, but the listing fees for everything above that 500 has doubled?! Isn't that rather prejudicial towards the stores that have more that 500 listings? I can tell you this, I get so confused, with page layout changes that I just paid for two labels to ship one item. Oh ... and what is this crapola of giving fee breaks to certain categories ... like cameras? Sounds like favortism to me. Favortism to camera shops that also use eBay to sell their wares! Well, guess what, eBay ... plenty of other stores are also selling on eBay, and they don't seem to get any special breaks ... why Camera Shops? This is America ... if you can't give the same breaks to everyone, then you should not be giving breaks to anyone! Favortism doesn't work in families, and it sure doesn't look good in business either! FedEx sells on eBay! The Franklin Mint sells on eBay! The Bradford Exchange sells on eBay! Solid businesses from all over the world are selling items on eBay ... not just private citizens, and home businesses.

Aloha!

Please use plain text.
the_right_stuff99
Community Member

Re: Who bought eBay ... terrorists?

in reply to my_special_paradise

my_special_paradise wrote:

what gives them the right to end a listing just because the listing photo is not up to their standards of perfection?

You mean, aside from the fact that it's their site, and their brand?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Of bigger concern to me is that I am having a more difficult time finding what I purchase.

Ebay is losing the unusual items by favoring the mass market items.

The casual buyer has to be confused and that is a problem but more the problem is the experienced buyer not being able to find anything to buy.

Just my opinion.

Mike

Please use plain text.
Community Member

What a sad misuse of the word "terrorist".

Regardless, if you don't like the way eBay does business, you can find another venue in which to sell. Or open your own online store. Of course, there will still be policies you'll need to follow.

Please use plain text.
prettywoman-2012
Community Member

in reply to cyclestripper

cyclestripper wrote:

Of bigger concern to me is that I am having a more difficult time finding what I purchase.

Ebay is losing the unusual items by favoring the mass market items.

The casual buyer has to be confused and that is a problem but more the problem is the experienced buyer not being able to find anything to buy.

Just my opinion.

Mike

AMEN TO THAT. Add on to the above that almost always you get a different search result on different computers, with the same key words, because ebay insists on matching you with search results which their silly computer calls, Best Match...for example, I purchased a handbag way back sometime ago, which had a reptile print. Ever since, each time I enter some search words like Bally, for shows, it forces me to look at 25% of all search results with python print, when I am NOT in the market to buy these. Or vice versa. It is getting so ridiculous...I was searching for some Ralph Lauren stuff latelt, and they smuggled in some reptile print stuff, even though I have clarly indicated the color I wanted, which was solid grey, or black. This is driving buyers away from the site. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

So what's changed?

Ebay has always been this way.

Mike

Please use plain text.
Community Member

i'm getting really tired of having to scroll down and clicking on USED on the left side to eliminate the new crud.

I've complained to ebay about that "feature" of always adding back in the the new even though I've clicked used on the previous search but they seem to think it's better this way.

Mike

Please use plain text.
the_right_stuff99
Community Member

in reply to prettywoman-2012

prettywoman-2012 wrote:

AMEN TO THAT. Add on to the above that almost always you get a different search result on different computers, with the same key words, because ebay insists on matching you with search results which their silly computer calls, Best Match.

Gee, it's so difficult to change the search order from "Best Match" to something else. It takes a whole two mouse clicks.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Since Best Match is nothing but a preferencial sort order, changing to other than Best Match does not address the systemic problems described.

The underlying item selection system is now excluding items from search (as disclosed in the new user agreement) and those items can not be found other than by using an alternative search method such as google site search. Yes, the results do changed depending on which computer is used, which browser is used and with userID is used.

Mike

Please use plain text.
my_special_paradise
Community Member

in reply to the_right_stuff99

Just because you own the orchard doesn't mean you can deside whom can or who cannot eat you product, or what they must do with your product. There is a point when good business can become bad business due to being unreasonable. As an example ... we are not allow to do something that every major, as will as minor, business does on a daily basis, and that is using the items packaging to sell the item. eBay does not want us using the actual picture on the package of the product because they feel it stomps on the rights of the packager and its photographer. Business have been using these images for decades in newspaper adds, tv adds, and now on the internet ... but eBay does not want us to! People identify the product with the packaging! Not allowing our businesses to do what anyone else in the business can do ... legally ... is just acting out King Of The Hill ... and that is bad for eBay! Laie, Hawaii is basically a mormon town ... therefore, you can not sell certain items, like liquor, in Laie ... even though not everyone there is actually a mormon. To open a store in Laie you must agree not to be open on Sundays, and you can not sell liquor! Basically, that is forcing people to live by your rules ... which slaps the face of God and Country. And, letes not forget that eBay's success depends on its popularity with both the businesses that open stores on their site, and the buyers that purchase items from those businesses. Stores are disappearing all the time ... due to eBay becoming more, and more, communistic in their approach to sellers.

Please use plain text.
my_special_paradise
Community Member

If you can't find it on eBay, its because it is not a good enough seller ... or it has been banned by eBay. A good example ... some companies are coming down hard on sellers of items that have a copyright attached to the item, and is being reproduced, however, they fail to put a copyright notice on the item! Bacisally, you can copy anything that does not have a copyright notice on the item. However, eBay doesn't want the headache ... so they shut the item down, even though they do not have to! Unfortunately, eBay doesn't know the laws that it is misrepresenting! As I said ... it clearly states in the Copyright Laws that the item must contain a copyright notice on the item, or they haven't a leg to stand on. So many items are not available on eBay due to this problem, because eBay has no intentions of fighting for the businesses paying them to do so.

So many problems exist within eBay ... and, on the average, they could care less. So many different responses are available from different customer support reps. One says one thing, another says the opposite ... so many of them haven't a clue as to what they are doing! This is a huge problem! Plus, they're too eager to blame their customers when it comes to problems on their site ... instead of saying ... "Hackers Hate eBay and we get attacks almost daily!" I actually had one of their reps tell me that this is the truth ... eBay gets hacked all the time! Someone actually was able to get into my account and change my password, over a year ago! That's scary.

Then there's the problem that nobody knows who is not paying for the items they agree to buy ... a problem I come into a lot, so I know other sellers are having this problem as well. And the problem with not being able to leave appropriate feedback to bad buyers ... that is a huge peeve with all sellers! I've given eBay a lot of great ideas ... some they've used, like being able to see all the negative comments on one page, instead of having to hunt them down, I was so happy when they did something about that! I've also asked that they separate Alaska & Hawaii in the area of places we do not sell to! Though I do not sell items locally, here in Hawaii, I would be more than happy to sell to anyone in Alaska ... but I can't!

Anyhoots ... back to your peeve ... if you can't find it on eBay ... go to Amazon.com ... a lot of sellers that have left eBay have moved on to Amazon! They are a lot easier to work with, I'm told. 

Please use plain text.
my_special_paradise
Community Member

in reply to prettywoman-2012

eBay seems to give preferencial treatment to certain sellers. I know that I have a problem finding some of my items because mine don't show-up until I've almost reached the end to the line. And ... it use to be that when a newletter went out for my store it contained new items listed ... now it shows items that have automatically been relisted after its 30th day. That seems to have changed this year. So, though I am constantly putting new items up in my store, those subscribing to my store haven't a clue about them.

I also have noticed, as have you, that when you put in a search, items pop-up that have noting to do with the search. I mean, if I put a search in for Marilyn Monroe doll ... why am I getting baby doll lingerie. That has never happened, but stuff like that has ... numerous times! And I'm so glad to hear that others have experienced the problem too ... because I'm tired of eBay people telling me its a problem with my browser! I have IE, eBay, work with it! Don't suggest I download another browser.

Please use plain text.
my_special_paradise
Community Member

in reply to takikawa4

I totally agree ... but it did get your attention!

As for policies ... I understand that their are policies that will need to be followed elsewhere ... that isn't the peeve! eBay is becoming too overpopulated with policies that are just there as a "I've Got Power!" over all of you! And the only power anyone has over you is the power you allow them to have. At some point that proverbial straw that broke the camel's back appears on the scene, and, when it comes to eBay, many business reached that point a long time ago and they're gone! And that is a real shame ... because I am not only a seller, I am also a buyer, and finding the stuff they use to sell is next to impossible!

Please use plain text.
my_special_paradise
Community Member

in reply to the_right_stuff99

That wasn't the point the person was reaching for. BEST MATCH should mean BEST MATCH ... not HERE'S SOMETHING TOTALLY DIFFERENT that you are not looking for and never will look for!

Please use plain text.
my_special_paradise
Community Member

Actually, eBay hasn't always been this way! The creator of eBay had a brain in his head! He was out to make money, as well as friends! He tried his best to be fair ... or at least his team did. eBay's biggest problems began when he sold eBay!

Please use plain text.