eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Ebay Viewing Problem

My computer (windows vista) is having problems viewing listings on ebay. The discriptions are missing, only the listing picture is shown, and the page tab on the right hand side is very small with pages of blank space between the start and finish of the listing. This includes my own for-sale items. When I am on the listings page, all of my information, pictures, and data is there, but when viewed I have the same problem. I have tried re-booting to original configuration, cookie purging, and using different browsers with no luck. Thanks for any help.
Please use plain text.
nates_tips
Community Member

Re: Ebay Viewing Problem

in reply to paul_tenn
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the Picture Manager forum! We are regular members such as yourself that help provide support, but we are always happy to lend a hand with a smile. :-)

I'm pretty sure I recognize the cause of your problem. My answer may get technical but please hang in there with me. Thanks goes to RobsHelp for all his testing and information.

eBay's new View Item page displaying the item description is in what is called an iframe. eBay intentionally loads the iframe content into a different domain (kind of like another website) than the eBay view item page. The intent is to prevent harmful scripts in the item description from being able to reach up into the eBay portions of the page such as to alter links or otherwise hack the eBay portions of the overall page.

However, this poses a problem; some users such as yourself are unable to view item descriptions. The cause is due to security settings. Once those specific settings are disabled, you can view descriptions without a problem.

Are you using FireFox? If so, are you using an add-on called NoScript?

Do you happen to be using Internet Explorer 8?

Also, what security software do you have installed on your computer?
Please use plain text.
robshelp
Community Member

in reply to paul_tenn
Hi Nate! Thanks for giving me credit for my work. Here is a bit more trouble shooting information with regard to this problem:

First of all, after having landed in a page without an item description appearing, reload the page at least once then wait to see if the item description appears. Then also make sure the problem exists with a variety of sellers item pages you visit on eBay. Those "tests" are required because it is possible that the length of any particular item description, or how it was constructed, or timing issues in the loading sequence of the page could instead be the cause of the problem.

If the problem is indeed determined to be universal consider that eBay has been using iframes for months. So if this is new to you within the last few days or weeks the place to begin would be with what has changed with your computer or web browser since you were last able to see item descriptions. Most likely the change will have been the installation of or settings adjustments in Internet security related software or add-ons.

What to look for:

The technical term is "cross-domain iframe". The reason it may be blocked by protective Internet security software is because iframes are a popular way for hackers to stealthily add malicious content to web pages and cross-domain iframes are the most dangerous in that regard.

To help understand the risk, here's a typical scenario. An innocent web site is hacked into by someone with malicious intent. Only a few lines of code are required to be added to web pages to include an iframe that injects content into the page such as a prompt for a password or a prompt to install software. The visitor not having a visual way to identify the source of the prompt (iframes don't display an address in the web browser's address bar) will naturally assume the prompts originate from the innocent site.

Mind you, modern web browsers will tend to warn against installing software from a web site and will probably recognize suspicious content arising from an iframe. Blocking iframes or cross-domain iframes, is an aggressive protection mechanism based on the premise it is better not to have been exposed at all to the potential of their being used maliciously. I liken it to avoiding dark streets late at night vs. carrying a gun to protect oneself.

Rob
Visit my About Me page to learn about FreeForm and FreeForm2 - Free to use, wonderfully flexible tools for creating and using custom templates. No HTML knowledge required. Use with non-eBay hosting to display photos in any size, marked up however you like
Please use plain text.
nates_tips
Community Member

in reply to paul_tenn
Hey Rob,

Thanks for posting some more info! :-)
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to paul_tenn
And so the casual buyer is supposed to know all this??

I see this problem on other forums, too - no description showing!

Since I put all my photos and description in this new re-directed iframe [via 3rd party lister] perhaps this is one of the reasons for plummeting sell thru??
Please use plain text.
robshelp
Community Member

in reply to paul_tenn
I have brought up the problem again in Ask Griff at Sellers Central. To my knowledge that's the only public forum available to us where an eBay representative answers questions from eBay members.

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Seller-Central/Ask-Griff-October/520160868

We are awaiting his response.

Rob
Visit my About Me page to learn about FreeForm and FreeForm2 - Free to use, wonderfully flexible tools for creating and using custom templates. No HTML knowledge required. Use with non-eBay hosting to display photos in any size, marked up however you like
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to paul_tenn
I use Vista and explore 8. I am just a buyer. Why are you changing the picture viewing? I try to enlarge the photos and my explorer shuts down every time. If I can't see the picture clearly, I will not buy!

Go back to the old way. Why make people struggle fixing settings on their computer , if this is possible!, to see what they want to buy. Not all of use are a computer genius. The old way worked just fine.
Please use plain text.
nates_tips
Community Member

in reply to paul_tenn
ancient-one,

Thanks for stopping by the Picture Manager forum. Please keep in mind that we are just regular eBay members such as yourself. eBay staff does NOT reply or hardly ever stops in to read posts.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to paul_tenn

I am having a similar problem. I can access ebay, but when I navigate/ click on a link ie. cart, inbox, or try to view an item for sale.  It starts to try to load and seems to stop.  The progress bar on the bottom gets about half way and stops.  Then i get a message from norton saying my browser is using high memory... I am using IE 8, and Norton 360. Win XP.  . .Also, is Firefox any better than IE

Please use plain text.
sadiesshop615
Community Member

in reply to paul_tenn

...is Firefox any better than IE...???

LOL...!!!

Firefox 0.9 is better than I.E. 9.0...!!!

(Dumped Internot Exploder over 7 years ago...No regrets...!!!). B-)

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

in reply to paul_tenn

Hello. I was searchin gfor a solution at my problem and I found this post and I decided to give it a try and ask.

I usually use Chrome for navigate and sometimes (quite often lately) it happens that if I'm looking at an item of a seller and I try to go to the shop page it results that he doesn't have anything in his shop (instead he has). I tried to open that same pages in internet explorer and it does open showing all the items in the shop.

Now that I'm using Linux and I can't use internet explorer, I don't have any solution to solve the problem. Have you a clue of what it could be that blocks me to see certain sellers shop?

Thank you very much for your help. Erica

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to paul_tenn

I am an ebay seller who edits my html and uploads using photobucket, source code = my items descriptions. The reason some of the buyers are complaining that they cannot see any content displayed under some seller's descriptions is not the fault of the seller. The problem lies within web browsers. For instance mozilla firefox web browser you shouldn't have any problems viewing any listing. internet explorer lots of problems viewing the descriptions on listings and google chrome, lately also lots of problems. As a top rated seller myself, I've had to deal with big sales drop because of all my customers using the google chrome browsers and internet explorer browsers could not even see my listings. Here is how I fixed mine today, and I'm publishing this tip so that all ebay sellers can fix it too. Do not wait for an updated ver. of google chrome or internet explorer to fix the issues as they may never be fixed and your sales will continue to suffer as a result of all the people not using firefox browser. Edit your listing, click revise, delete source code under html tab, click on standard tap, type any two characters on the keyboard example, v* and hit enter approximately 50 times again type any two characters such as vr  And now click your tab "html" and paste your source code of your listing again. Once you publish this now, it fixes the previous problems with internet explorer browsers that you've probably been dealing with for years where internet explorer browsers does not display at all your ebay selling descriptions, and also fixes the probably that has been occuring for at least the past few months with google chrome also not showing the description but instead collapsing and only showing a super narrow window of your description. This is the only thing that has solved my problem and I'm going out of my way to provide this tip for all sellers out there to be able to fix this problem. Since I found this simple fix tonight and did this for all my listings, there is now no problems viewing my descriptions with any web browser out of internet explorer, google chrome, and mozilla firefox! I'm expecting sales improvement because of it. Hope I've helped. Dan, DG Mods stores.ebay.com/dg-mods dgmods@gmail.com If I've helped tell me thank you and I'll know I did something good:smileywink:  

Please use plain text.
shipscript
Community Member

in reply to paul_tenn

dg_mods

There is one, and only one, reason your listings collapse into a tiny strip — and it is easily remedied.

The fault lies not in eBay or in the various browsers, the fault lies in the CSS/HTML used to create the template, which expects to own the entire page. eBay Item Descriptions do not own the entire page. Instead, they reside in a window that eBay defines inside their listing page.

The problem (and this is an age-old problem we've see on these forums over the years) is that the template was created with absolute positioning attached to every single element, causing those elements to float over the page at specified locations. There is no element that is actually nailed to the page with relative positioning, holding the page open.

eBay resizes the Description window to fit content that it finds nailed down inside. Just like you can put a fence in the soil around a house and can't put a fence in the soil around a cluster of balloons bobbing in the breeze overhead, eBay can resize that window to fit nailed-down content, but can't determine the size or shape for floating content.

When you typed in that string of 100 carriage returns by holding down the enter key, you added 100 lines of text that are actually nailed to the page and the page thus opened to accommodate those new lines. With the page somewhat open, your floating content became visible with scrollbars.

Solution

The solution will require you to change the way your tool creates your document so that at least the background container is nailed to the page, or else you will need to manually edit your HTML code.

There is an outer wrapper container in your page, and if you give that wrapper a relative position and a height, it will hold the page open.

I used this listing in the example fix below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251169275088

Your listing container is called:

The stylesheet says it is 6727px high, and that the template is shifted down 44px below the top.

You could edit the stylesheet like this:

#apDiv96    {
    position : absolute; relative;
    width : 1168px;
    height : 6727px;
    z-index : 1;
    top : 44px;
    left : 51px;
    }

or, if it is easier, you can edit the HTML like this:

style="position:relative;"

Of course, you would need to remove those 100 lines you added to the top of the page.

There are a few different changes that would optimize the appearance, but this basic change will open the window.

ZippyPractice has an iframe window that is somewhat similar to eBay's, so you can practice your code there.

http://zippypractice.com/

For Photos, HTML, CSS and template questions, please visit the Tools & Apps forum.
eBay Community Hall of Fame 2007
Free Resources for Better Auctions • Programs • Tools • Templates • Help • Guides
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to paul_tenn

A problem which has started fairly recently is that photos of items do not load immediately and sometimes not at all.

If there are several photos clicking on one of the thumbnails will load the photos. Sometimes, but not always, hovering over the loading space opens up the zoom view.

It happens with my listings as well as those I'm watching or searching. I've read through this thread but if the answer has been given I would be grateful if someone could repeat it as I haven't understood what to do?

I am using Windows 7, and McAfee security.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to paul_tenn

I am having a similar problem, but may not be the same.

I am getting a small window on the right of the ebay page that shows a list of 'suggestions' of the product I am searching for on ebay, but it covers the side of my ebay page where the prices are and I cannot see the prices AND the little window will not go away. I cannot find a 'close' button or anything. So I cannot browse ebay and make my purchase. Thsi thing is in the way.

To make things more difficult, I am Visually Disabled and have a hard time focusing on the page normally.  I have my computer screen turned to high contrast black with white and this little side bar pop up is hard to deal with, making it very stressful to try to use ebay.

PLEASE tell me how to get rid of it!

I use windows 7 internet explorer.

I did a properties check on the popup and it said: http://cdn.sharedaddomain.com  but I couldn't get that page to come up.

thanks

Please use plain text.
shipscript
Community Member

in reply to fweetyd

fweetyd wrote:

I am getting a small window on the right of the ebay page that shows a list of 'suggestions' of the product I am searching for on ebay, but it covers the side of my ebay page where the prices are and I cannot see the prices AND the little window will not go away. I cannot find a 'close' button or anything....I use windows 7 internet explorer.

I did a properties check on the popup and it said: http://cdn.sharedaddomain.com

Your situation is unrelated to the others in this thread. I don't believe eBay is allowing third-party popups within their pages. It could actually be stealthware or adware installed with some other program. I would phone customer support and try to get confirmation from one of their managers on whether that  SharedAdDomain content delivery network is a legitimate eBay affiliate. If it is, then register your complaint with customer service.

If it is not, you may have to remove something from your computer.

For Photos, HTML, CSS and template questions, please visit the Tools & Apps forum.
eBay Community Hall of Fame 2007
Free Resources for Better Auctions • Programs • Tools • Templates • Help • Guides
Please use plain text.
nannerbananner2
Community Member

in reply to paul_tenn
Please use plain text.
nannerbananner2
Community Member

in reply to nannerbananner2

listen to this video and see if it will help with the ebay problems.-----http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd5i3T2RRWE

Please use plain text.