eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Scam

Ebay giving works is a scam they are stealing your money just another way of ebay ripping people off.
Community Member

Re: Scam

in reply to kiss4049
hi kiss4049!

I'm sorry you feel this way... I'd like to learn a little more about your concerns if you'd be willing to share.

Thanks!
~Kristin
eBay Giving Works
Community Member

in reply to kiss4049
Hi Kristin, I was reading about the various ebay managers and their specific roles, your profile came under the Giving, Charity Works. Last week I wanted to use the feature Donation Charity on one of my auctions, checked to see what this was and how to allow ebay to take a percentage of the final price.. etc.. After selecting which group I wanted to give my donation proceeds, it asked me for my Social Security Number or credit card or something like that that I simply said forget this. Is there any other way to do this so that I don't have to signup and give my personal information (ebay already has my details, why the extra?). Maybe I overlooked things... but honest.. it make me decide there and then.
Thank you,
techchallenge
Community Member

Scam

in reply to kiss4049
hi techchallenge!

First and foremost, thank you for your generosity in considering donating a percentage of your item's final sale price to charity through your eBay sale. I'm sorry you were discouraged by the request for your credit card number. Please allow me to explain the reason you were asked for this information... eBay has selected MissionFish (a nonprofit) to be our dedicated 3rd party that collects and distributes donations that are promised within eBay Giving Works listings. While most sellers are quite honest/timely in fulfilling this commitment, MissionFish must have a credit card on file to automatically charge on the off-chance the seller does not pay their donation by its due date - and MissionFish does not have access to the credit card information you submitted to eBay due to the privacy policies we have in place for our users. (also to be super clear, MissionFish does not ask for your Social Security Number) Hopefully that helps clarify - please let me know if you have additional questions.

Now to address your second question... according to our charity listing policy (http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/fundraising.html):
Charitable fundraising is a highly regulated area subject to numerous state and federal laws. eBay allows sellers to list items and collect proceeds (in whole or in part) on behalf of charity either with eBay Giving Works (the dedicated program for charity listings on eBay) or without eBay Giving Works (as long as the listings meet our specific guidelines for charitable solicitations).

Guidelines for eBay Giving Works listings

eBay has selected MissionFish, a licensed nonprofit service of the Points of Light Foundation, to serve as the dedicated solution provider for eBay Giving Works. MissionFish’s valuable service and support includes: powering the nonprofit directory for eBay Giving Works; verifying that nonprofits are eligible for this program; collecting and disbursing sellers’ donations; providing sellers with tax receipts; and tracking donations online.

Sellers may only list with eBay Giving Works if they:
• Use the Sell Your Item form on eBay and enable JavaScript in their browsers.
• Register with MissionFish and maintain an account in good standing.
• Agree to donate to at least 10% of the final sale price or $10 – whichever is greater – to a member nonprofit organization if the item sells.
Note: The $10 minimum donation requirement does not apply to nonprofits selling items on their own behalf (“Direct Selling”).
• Select PayPal or credit card as one of the buyer payment options
Note: This is not required for listings in the Motors or Real Estate categories or for “Direct Selling”).
• Do not list the item in the Real Estate ad format or Mature Audiences category.
Note: The nonprofit that you select has the right to request an item cancellation if they prefer not to benefit from your listing.

eBay Giving Works listings are:
• Differentiated with a distinctive ribbon icon, as well as information about the donation and benefiting nonprofit in the item description.
• Included within specialized charity search functionality.
• Eligible for the eBay Giving Works Fee Donation Policy (http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/givingworks-fee-policy.html) when 100% of the final sale price is donated.
And, as the seller, you will receive a receipt for your tax-deductible donation.

Guidelines for Non-eBay Giving Works charity listings

Sellers may only list items for charity without eBay Giving Works if they:
• Are soliciting on behalf of recognized tax-deductible charitable organizations (for example, 501(c)(3) status or equivalent with the IRS).
• Receive advance written consent for the solicitation from the benefiting nonprofit.
To prove you have obtained this permission, you must include a scanned copy of the consent in your listing. It must appear on the nonprofit’s letterhead signed by an officer and include the nonprofit’s tax-deductibility status as well as your name or eBay User ID, dates of event/listings, and donation amount (percentage of the final sale price).

Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks and take care,
~Kristin
eBay Giving Works
Community Member

in reply to kiss4049
Hello... I am every confused!
I sold an item to a person. And it says on ORDER DETAILS that the person donated 2.00 to Giving Works, and I am confused if this money is being taken from my sale with her, or from her personal money that has nothing to do with the sale? PLEASE help!
Community Member

in reply to kiss4049
I am also having problems and after 20 emails 15 phone calls I am frustrated and tired. I am also being charged for listing fees and final value fees. My listing fees say I have already used 50 free listing??? I cant find anything telling me I can only list 50 items free.
Community Member

in reply to kiss4049

"Agree to donate to at least 10% of the final sale price or $10 – whichever is greater – to a member nonprofit organization if the item sells."

I'm not sure I understand this. What I read when I decided to do this was a minimum donation of $1.00, not $10.00! Now what?! They are going to charge me $10.00 on a $8.99 item??? I just went in the hole!

Community Member

in reply to kiss4049

I'm an Ebay non-profit user.  Tell me how they are ripping us off.  I would like to know because I am new and would like to keep an eye out.  I have "THE ROAD TO HOME" a non-profit organization.  We rescue any kind of animal.  Avery thing I put on ebay comes from people who donate their items to our little resale store.  Would appreciate you input.

Joann