eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

what does .025 gold cont mean

i got a couple watched that the bands say .025 gold cont. does that mean they are plated or is that 25 percent gold.
Please use plain text.
jessesdoghouse
Community Member

in reply to jasonscards1
Not 25%.:-)

.025 = 2.5% or (2 & 1/2 percent).:-)

Which would be far less than 1K Gold. (just a touch over half of 1K I think).?:smileyindifferent:

I'm assuming that would be plated, I can't imagine someone going through the trouble of melting 25 parts gold with 975 parts other metal.?:smileyindifferent:

I'm no expert either but I think my math is pretty good.;-

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jasonscards1
I think you're probably trying to describe the typical way of designating gold-fill on an old stretch band. They'll typically be marked 1/20th 10K (or 1/20th 14K, etc.) This means that the layer of gold (10K or 14K, etc.)surrounding the base metal of the band represents 1/20th of the weight of the piece.

If memory serves me correctly, I believe 1/20th of total content by weight is the lowest allowed gold percentage for a piece to be designated as gold-filled. Lower percentages would be called rolled gold plate (R.G.P.) or gold plated.

The bottom line is that there is very little gold content in those old stretch bands and they have very little value, either from a collectible standpoint or from gold content.

Greg
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: what does .025 gold cont mean

in reply to jasonscards1
I also own a Kreisler band marked gold content .025 with Patent # U.S. PAT.2,064,760 which dates that to 1936. I believe that is the same gold content as 1/20 12k gold filled, or 2.5 % of the band weight (1/20 is .05 ; 12k/24K =50%; hence .05 x .50= .025).
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jasonscards1

Is a Baby Bracelet made by Kreisler Us Patent # 2,064,760 .025 gold content worth anything, or no?

Please use plain text.
afantiques
Community Member

in reply to jasonscards1

Essentially, no. Theoretically, a dollar or two.

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Please use plain text.