eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
Community Member

What's My Watch Worth?

I have a Hamilton Masterpiece 14 K gold Thin-o-matic with clender, serial no. 979676.  It was presented to a bank teller in 1977 upon his retirement and has ingraving on the back to that affect.  It is in very good to excellent condition and works perfectly.  What's it worth?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
afantiques
Community Member

Re: What's My Watch Worth?

in reply to mntmotorrider

Whatever you can get for it. Maybe a bit more than the gold scrap value of the case. The engraving will kill it for many buyers.

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Really?  I see one listed here exactly like it for $599.  Who's kidding who?

Please use plain text.
afantiques
Community Member

Only 'sold' counts.

Anyone can ask anything for something.

Is the one you saw engraved?

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Really?  I see one listed here exactly like it for $599.  Who's kidding who?

If you're referring to listing 200636469027, that one has been on the market since July 31.

I do find one recorded sale of a Thin-o-Matic recently, which went at auction for $338.17 in listing 160663954541. That one was engraved. Three others also sold in the latter half of October for less than $100 each.

I would list it with an opening price of the minimum that you would genuinely accept for a sale, in case you only get one bid, and see how it goes. I would not use a Reserve; that tends to be a bid killer, and you'll be having to respond to endless emails asking what the Reserve price is (which you can reveal if you like). Good luck.

Please use plain text.
ben_hutcherson
Community Member

At least for most US buyers, engravings don't do much for value.

Thank goodness most US buyers aren't so short sighted as to devalue an otherwise nice watch for a nice presentation, as I understand many other internaitonal buyers do.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_nkw=Thin-o-matic&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_okw=Thi...

completed listings

Life has become immeasurably better since I have chosen to stop taking it seriously.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I can't understand why you would ask for information, then get insulted by a reply. Maybe I took your response wrong, but I don't think so.

The people  who answer questions here, are knowledgable, and have expierence in both repairs and sales.

I wish you the best of luck selling your watch. I hope the final bid meets your expectation. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I'm sorry. but I don't see how I insulted you.  I only responded to the one answere about it not beeing worth more than the scrap value.  That was another person, wasn't it?  Any way, thanks to all for the responses, I have a better idea what it is worth now.  The one thing that seems to distingush this watch from others in the list of sold is that it is 14k, not 10k.  Maybe that will bring a few more sheckles.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hamilton Masterpiece 14K Gold, very, very good watch and 1 of the top of the line watches from Hamilton, most likely over $300.00 when new and Hamilton is a brand name in watches and collectable. In my opinion with your Hamilton still working very well and being a Hamilton Masterpiece 14K Gold your watch should be worth in the collector market just about what it sold for back in 1977, just a bit over the $300.00 range.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Thank you, Michael!

Please use plain text.