eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
Community Member

Vintage Waterbury Mantel Clock

Hi I recently bought a Vintage Waterbury Chiming Mantel Clock. Can anyone tell me how to set it? It came with key when winded works great; however it runs to fast and it chimes off hour? It came with weight but I don't know how to use?
Can any help me out?
Thanks for any help in advance.
Please use plain text.
kenknox
Community Member

Re: Vintage Waterbury Mantel Clock

in reply to beauty4life4u
Waterbury had a few different systems in their chiming clocks. Some were self correcting some were not. Can you post some pictures of the movement and the front of the clock? That will help determine what you have and people on the board can get you going.

Ken
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Thanks I will do...
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hope these help.
Thanks
Please use plain text.
kathrynscollectibles
Community Member

The clock runs too fast because you don't have the pendulum, or weight as you call it, attached.

Trying to keep this easy to understand...

The pendulum is attached to the long wire that is hanging down on the back of the movement, it should have an upturned end to accept the pendulum.

I don't believe that you have the correct pendulum for the clock, the one you have shown in the pictures appears to be one that fits a clock with a visible pendulum (one you see from the front), and may be too long for this clock.

See if the pendulum fits, if it does then the clock should run, If not you need to acquire the correct pendulum.

If the clock runs with the pendulum attached, then you have to make sure that you place the clock on a level surface to make sure that it will run continually.

That should take care of the clock running too fast.

Someone more familiar with this movement will have to tell you how to adjust the hours so they coincide with the chimes. I would tell you how I do it, but I don't think that's a good idea. ;o)
“As a general rule, if you want to get at the truth — hear both sides and believe neither.” Josh Billings
Please use plain text.
kenknox
Community Member

Your clock dosnt have a chiming movement. Its called a time and "Strike" movement. The pendulum bob is correct for the clock. You will need to reattach the top of the pendulum rod to the movement. The thin piece of steel on the top part of the rod fits into the slot on the top of the back of the movement.When you do this make sure the bottom part with the hook faces the door opening so it will be easier to hang the pendulum bob. Then hang the bob on the hooked end of the rod. The bob has a looped wire running through it. It needs to be pushed down so it rests on the knurled nut before you hang it. It looks to be fully wound so it should run.
Good luck,

Ken
Please use plain text.
kenknox
Community Member

To make the hour strike correctly just move the minute hand up on the 12 position and count the number of strikes. Then you can carefully move the hour hand to match(It should be a slip fit). When setting the correct time you need to wait for the strike to finish before moving on or it will become out of sync.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Thanks everyone I appreciate. I will try and see what I can do.....:-)
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I finally figured out that wire hook needed to be slipped into slot therefore allowing the weight to be hung without hitting bottom of clock. Yeah!! Thanks so much. Now if I can figure out the time setting I am good to go...
Thanks so much....
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Just an FYI - that pendulum is an adjustable waterbury pendulum for a wall clock or tall clock, For the short mantel clocks they had a solid pendulum pentagon shaped one with a big W on it (no pun intended to its a mad mad mad mad world movie)
Life has become immeasurably better since I have chosen to stop taking it seriously.
Please use plain text.