eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Happy Kwanza

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Question about Cartier Tank Paris Swiss Vermeil sterling Argent 925 watch

I just ended a listing with bids for a Ladies Cartier Tank Paris Swiss Vermeil over sterling Argent 925 Wristwatch item number 150831494554

I started at $9.99 and decided I needed to do more research when people started emailing me asking if I would give a buy it now price and wanted to know beyond a shadow of a doubt it was real so I took to a jeweler and he is charging $65 to open up and examine it. He said it is like doing surgery. He said the good news is the face is crystal and he is 99% sure it is real but the story will be told when he opens it. He said he has been trained in the high end watches and he said in this  vintage watch you never find a battery and if you do that it is a sure fake.

He said he feels good when he opens this it will have the Swiss movement it should have and that he will replace and fix whatever needs to be done to make this a working watch. Then I will feel 100% beteter about putting this out there. This is my question...is it better to have a buy it now with a best offer because he said this is worth $1,000 if it is real.

Also, is it just the vintage watches...the Cartier Tank Argent 925 that never have batteries or do the more modern ones have batteries because I see these called vintage on ebay and have sold for over $400 each time so is mine older than Vintage or should I be calling it something else. I am confused because he said these watches if they are real do not use batteries. Are these others fakes or real but more modern ones sold on ebay? But they are being called vintage.

I know zip about vintage watches as you can tell. Thank you for any help!

Community Member

Re: Question about Cartier Tank Paris Swiss Vermeil sterling Argent 925 watch

in reply to dreams_of_italy

watch looks real to me but what do I know?

pretty beat up

just a small piece of advice - all that extra stuff in your listing makes me want to throw up

I would never buy it from that listing - too much confusion

confused listings tend to be scams

simplify the listing and for $65 you  better make sure you get a clear photo of the  movement from that jeweler to use in the listing.

Also for $65 make sure you get a certificate of authenticity with the jewelers name and business addess on it, If not then take it somewhere else 

good luck

Life has become immeasurably better since I have chosen to stop taking it seriously.
afantiques
Community Member

He said he has been trained in the high end watches

Trained in high end prices, certainly.

" To removing 4 tiny screws, taking a quick look and replacing screws, $65!"

I can imagine what the price would be for a proper clean and overhaul.

Certainly lose all that guff, from the listing. A little provenance is OK, life histories are way over the top.

These watches are widely faked and have been for a long time. There is a good chance yours is OK but forget $1000, a lady's tank, well used might go for $400, still respectable money.

Women don't collect watches, although they may accumulater them as time goes by. Men generally do not collect women's watches.

Ignore any offers to buy it now, they will be lowball chancers hoping to ace out the genuine bidders.

Start at 99c. Include a picture of the movement and lose the suitcase picture. It will sell for a fair price.

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Community Member

As for the story about where this came from...I do tell my sister's story with everything that was hers and I get about 100 emails a month from people who have read it thanking me for it so the story stays

That's entirely your privilege, but that's what the About Me page is intended for. You'll never know how many prospective bidders gave up waiting for the page to download just to see the watch. At this moment, I cannot recall ever seeing a bigger or longer one in a standard eBay listing.

Again, that is a not insignificant drain on resources, and users of hand-held devices are sometimes billed by data usage. The vast majority of your listing -- the overwhelming majority of your listing -- has nothing to do with the item at hand, and I can tell you as a regular wireless & smartphone user that if a given web page isn't downloading properly, I just hit the Back button and go on to something else.

If you want to try a comparison, put up some listings with all the current stuff on the bottom as usual, and some similar ones without it, in which you have a single line directing folks to see your About Me page instead, and see which ones record more traffic and higher bidding activity. I think you know which way the results are going to skew. ;-)

Community Member

Women don't collect watches, although they may accumulate them as time goes by. Men generally do not collect women's watches.

Somewhere in there is an adage straining to get out...

Ah, here we are:

"Men collect watches; women accumulate them." ;-)

Community Member

That is a good idea about doing a comparison. I will try it. I got a call from the jeweler today. It is 100% authentic. He said the $65 is for the cleaning and to get it running again. He said he has worked on Cartier many times and it is usually one movement that gets stuck, especially if it has been sitting in a drawer as long as this has.

Thank you for the advice about having him take a photo of the movement inside. He agreed to do it and when my husband picks it up I will have him ask for a signed certificate from him of authenticity. Would it help to change the band and buy a brand new one or best to leave the old band on since it seems to be the original band?

Community Member

Sounds good... Being able to state that it's been professionally serviced and running is always useful. I would suggest wearing it and keeping it going for a week to ensure that there are no nasty surprises and that it's keeping good time.

I would definitely leave the original band on.

afantiques
Community Member

The price being for a simple clean is reasonable. What the man is saying is that unused watches tend to gum up with dried oil, notably the coils of the spring sticking to each other rendering the spring power ineffective.

I agree with the others, more and more users are using mobile broadband in many forms, all will heartily curse such a vast picture heavy download.

aria.soul
Community Member

argent, plaque,

it's gold plated over silver (925)

while this one appears to be manual wind, there are vintage Cartier Tanks that are quartz (battery operated)

it's considered vintage when it was made before 1980s

you certainly could list it as vintage

but I'm very doubtful you would get anywhere near $1000.

$400~500 seems to be the going price

Community Member

I appreciate all of the advice. I got the watch back today. The jeweler said if I replaced the crystal I would get $1,000 but I said on ebay it doesn't work like that. He wants $150 for the crystal but it only looks scratched if you are in the direct sun or looking with a loupe. When it is on my arm I see thru the crystal clearly.

He replaced one movement AND only charged me $25! He said the normal price is $125 but I bring him a lot of business. I feel badly because all I can remember is bringing him watches over the years to replace batteries. I took in a bag of jewelry today for him to verify was silver and real amber and he was so nice and did it so quickly.

OK, off to work on the new improved listing and I will take the advice of losing 1,000 pics.

Oh, here is a pic of the movement. He kept it open til I got there so I could photograph it. It will take me about twenty minutes to get it done but if anyone has any critiques I would love to hear them

5100038154_1c.jpg
5100038155_1f.jpg
Community Member

Oh, here is a pic of the movement. He kept it open til I got there so I could photograph it. It will take me about twenty minutes to get it done but if anyone has any critiques I would love to hear them

...and the crowd waits expectantly for afantiques to appear...

...and waits...

...and waits... ...some discussion ensues about what time it is in England right now...

...and suddenly the door bursts open and there he is! Wearing his customary Superman-like outfit (let out a bit around the hips, but still quite distinguished) with a large pocketwatch emblazoned on the chest... shaking his left wrist, glaring at the device strapped to it and muttering apologies for the lateness of the hour... something about how his blasted watch has stopped again...

Finally he strides to the keyboard and commences to type:

Community Member

You are funny! I left in the first paragraph and a couple of pics and then a link to my me page. I had withdrawals doing that but followed the advice here.

afantiques
Community Member

Sorry, failed to get those superman underpants on over my trousers...... and it was 4.14 AM here :-)

Nothing to add really, apart from wondering what "replaced one movement" meant.

The movement picture will do the trick for a sale.

A little rouge and a buffing wheel will usually sort out a slightly marked crystal

Just one tiny quibble, don't include 'wide' pictures in a formatted listing. They spead the page so you need to scroll sideways.

Best of luck with it, I have stuck in a cheapo $100 bid to start it off.

afantiques
Community Member

One last question, what are the dimensions of the watch. I will ASQ you that and I suggest you give the answer in MM and inches. I do this because by bidding before thinking I have prevented you from revising it to add the dimensions.

By adding the question and answer other buyers will see it.

afantiques
Community Member

BTW, vermeil is French for silver gilt, not the name of the coating. But no harm done, the keywords are in there.

Community Member

Nothing to add really, apart from wondering what "replaced one movement" meant.

To the OP: the "movement" is the whole thing - all the mechanicals you see inside. It doesnt seem likely that your repair man replaced the entire insides of the watch. It would be like taking you car in for a tune up and the mechanic telling you that he replaced the whole engine. Maybe you could ask your repair guy again what PART of the movement he replaced. Just write down the correct name of whatever parts he tells you. I wouldnt bother to change the description now but if someone asks you in a Question if it still has the original movement then you could fill in the details for them.

Community Member

I appreciate all of the help. I don't think he put in a new movement.  He said the watch was working now and he said he cleaned the insides and said the movement that was stuck was now working so maybe that is all he did for the $25. Thank you for the info about the crystal. I wish I would have gotten the diamond and gold Elgin working before listing now that I know it is not crazy expensive to get a watch up and running again. It sold at a nice enough price for the buyer that they can afford to have it repaired.

Thanks for the tip about the pics, too.

Thanks again for everything.

aria.soul
Community Member

but do leave one photo (or two), though -

I love the photos, they're great, love the Venice photos ... but just a bit too many for a listing

Community Member

Well, that had some brisk bidding. Sold to a sniper for $330...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150836364220