eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Lucien Piccard antique 14Kt gold watch

Hi, Can anyone help me with an estimated value on a Lucien Piccard 14Kt gold one piece watch and band. The face is round with a blue background and a tri color gold map of the world with time zones marked on the case. On the back it is signed Lucien Piccrad 14 Kt Switzerland, automatic, serial # 50099. I would appreciate any assistance. The watch has been handed down from my father, and I have it approx. 35 yrs. It keeps perfect time and is in like new condition.

Thank you, Ralph160
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ralph160
ralph,

One of the most accurate ways to find current market value for ANY watch is to look at closed auction values. You can browse eBay closed auctions for watches similar to yours by clicking the link in the upper right hand corner of this page that says " Find out how much your watch is worth!"

My personal experience with Lucien Piccard watches is that they don't have a very strong demand in the market. I'm sorry to report that they were viewed as a low/mid market brand and tend to fetch little more than gold melt value... if that. I've seen many being sold below melt.

Besides the brand, a second drawback to buyers is the permanent attached band. They're viewed as a bit dated and also tend to limit the customers for your watch to those with a matching wrist size. Certainly they can be shortened by a local jeweler (or even lengthened with a little creativity), but it is an extra cost and hassle to the buyer.

I hope this helps. Be sure to check out the link referred to above to browse auction prices for yourself.

Greg
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ralph160
Hi Greg, Thanks for the info. I found the exact same watch only with a leather band on watchestobuy.com selling for $2350.

Thanks again, Ralph
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ralph160
Ralph,

Now that there is a picture of the watch to reference, it makes things much easier. I can tell you that the reason the watch on the website you referenced is valued well above what is typical for a Lucien Piccard is because of the unusual enamel dial and the desirable micro-rotor movement (likely manufactured by Buren). This was a very unusual model for Lucien Piccard.

Whether the watch brings the price the seller is asking is anybody's guess. An asking price is not the same thing as a sales price. The average for a "normal" Lucien Piccard 14K gold gents watch is $200-300, so $2,350 is a huge premium for a special model. It's a beautiful watch, but it's a manufacturer that doesn't have a stong collector following and you would need to find the right buyer.

I hope you're planning on keeping the watch for sentimental value and the valuation is purely for insurance purposes.

Greg
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ralph160
Hi Greg, I am not planning on selling the watch, as it is unique and I enjoy wearing it, plus it does have sentimental value. But if I was thinking of selling it I certainly wouldn't sell it for $200. I was on your website and your right; asking price and selling price are two different things.

Ralph
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ralph160
Ralph,

It sounds like one of my posts may have hurt your feelings or upset you in some way. If that is the case, I apologize that I wasn't more sensitive in the way I phrased my comments.

If you look again at my posts, you'll see that I never advised that you should "sell your watch for $200", as your last post implies. Rather, I stated that most vintage Lucien Piccard models typically auction in the $200-$300 range (a fact). You'll recall that you didn't supply any pictures to identify your watch, so I gave you the best advice I could with the limited information you provided. I also pointed you to a link where you could review actual closed eBay auction prices for Lucien Piccard watches. The closed eBay auction data will confirm the average prices I gave you.

When you were later able to point to a picture on the web that resembled your watch, I agreed that you have an unusual model that would be valued well above the norm. My guess would be that auction value, if you ever decided to sell the watch, would be in the $1,000-$1,200 range. I strongly believe the $2,350 price tag you saw on a website represents extremely wishful thinking. Vintage prices are closely linked to demand and there simply isn't a very large collector base for the Lucien Piccard brand.

Regards,

Greg
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ralph160
The only drawback of these LP Gold watches is that they are not water resistance. I wanted to get one for my spouse, but changed my mind because of this.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ralph160
I have an antique Elgin National Watch Company pocket watch with the number #1270285 stamped inside of the lid. It was my great grandfathers so it would be between 100 to 150 years old depending on his age when purchased. I don't know if it is gold or not - but it has a picture of a crest on the front and has swirls on the back. The inside face shows the seconds and roman numerals for the time. I wound it up and it is working. I'd appreciate anything someone can tell me. Rtsspdy777@aol.com
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ralph160
Hi I have a 14k Lucien Piccard watch that has a $20 doube eagle U.S. gold coin face(Lady Liberty only)with 3 point diamonds for the numbers and black hands. On the crown of lady liberty it days "Liberty". Looks exactly like the bust on the gold coin(22k). The rest of the watch and the band are 14k. The watch and the band weighs 46 grams and the bust on the face(22K) weighs +4.5 grams.

It is 38mm in diameter and 11.5mm thick. There are ridges around the dial just like on a coin.

Have you seen any like this and what do you think its vaulue is.

It also has a serial number on the inside of the back cover.

Thank you,
Donah
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Lucien Piccard antique 14Kt gold watch

in reply to ralph160

I have a 14K gold liberty face Lucien Piccard watch with small diamonds for the numerals.  There is one similar listed on line but it does not have diamonds for the numerals  - only stars.   Two prices were given $599; and retail $1250.  You can check it out at

www.vendio.com/stores/eniejam/item/watches. The number on the back of the watch is #41828 (not sure if this is style no. or not)

I feel this watch is 50 yrs old or older.  This reply is for the info I noticed someone requested.  Couldn't reply earlier because I just found it while clearing out the safe deposit box.

Please use plain text.
emb
Community Member

Re: Lucien Piccard antique 14Kt gold watch

in reply to ralph160

Can anyone tell me the style name (or any other info about this model) of this watch?  I can tell you it was presented as an award in 1973.  It's 14K gold and has a gold band (not known if the band is original).

5200087117_LucianPicard obv.jpg
Please use plain text.