eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

How to Identify Jewels in Elgin Pocket Watch

Is there any way to tell what lewels a watch are? I have an Elgin Pocket Watch Serial Number 26029730 and it states Elgin Natl Watch Co USA. It doesn't list the jewels like most watch works. My item number is 180097006107. Any help would be appreciated.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mayberrylaneantiques
Thats Jewels instead of lewels.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

It's a 7 jewel. It could be researched by the serial #, which would show the same answer. Most of the watches of that era will mark the jewel count if over 7, but often don't mark the 7's. We can explain more about the jewel counts, it you wish, but the answer to your question is 7.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Thank you for your help.I was curious about how to identify jewels.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I did a post a while back that explained in detail what "jewels" in a watch are. You can view the post here:

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.jspa?messageID=1004523585&forumID=2014&x#1004523585

Basically, the "jewels" are simply small man-made synthetic ruby bearings that reduce friction and wear in a watch movement. They are the tiny red circles you see in the back of a watch movement (and other places deep within the movement). Contrary to the name, jewels are not valuable, costing just a few pennies each.

A 7-jewel watch will have:

2 balance hole jewels
2 balance cap jewels
2 pallet jewels
1 roller jewel

As jewel count increases, you'll see additional hole jewels added to various wheels in the movement train. Sometimes you'll also see cap jewels added to the escape wheel. Additionally, autowind watches may have jewels in the winding rotor assembly.

Greg
Please use plain text.