eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

richardlyon33
Community Member

Haller "Black Forest" Chiming 8-Day Mantle Clock

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
HELLO, CAN ANYBODY TELL ME ABOUT THIS CLOCK I PURCHASED TODAY? IT IS MISSING THE PENDULUM BUT I FASHIONED ONE OUT OF SOME ODDS AND ENDS I HAD IN THE JUNK DRAWER. IT IS IN GREAT, WORKING CONDITION. IT DID NOT COME WITH THE ORIGINAL KEY, HOWEVER I WAS ABLE TO GO TO MY CLOCK MAN AND GET A REPLACEMENT. IT DOES NOT STRIKE WESTMINSTER, ALTHOUGH IT HAS FOUR HAMMERS THAT IT USES TO PRODUCE ONLY TWO TONES. IT ALSO CHIMES ON THE HALF HOUR. THE GLASS IS IN PERFECT SHAPE, AND THE DIAL IS AS WELL. IT IS CIRCA 1955 ALTHOUGH THE DIAL IS ART DECO IN STYLE. IT READS "BLACK FOREST" ON THE DIAL AND "HALLER" ON MOVEMENT ITSELF, ALTHOUGH THERE APPEARS TO BE AN "S" AT THE END WITHOUT AN APOSTROPHE. THERE IS NO MOVEMENT NUMBER.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Haller "Black Forest" Chiming 8-Day Mantle Clock

in reply to richardlyon33
a relatively typical German clock of the 1950s/60's.Many similar ones out there just like it. Worth about $100 if in good condition, working order and with original pendulum. Worth about $75 with a "good" replacement pendulum that fits right
Life has become immeasurably better since I have chosen to stop taking it seriously.
Please use plain text.
richardlyon33
Community Member

All caps is a PITA.

I was under the impression that all caps are easier to read, but to each his own. I paid $25 plus I was out another $10 for a replacement key. I still don't have the correct pendulum, so I may cut my losses. Unless I decide to repaint the dial.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

repaint the dial and it will be worth about $10 as a parts clock.
Life has become immeasurably better since I have chosen to stop taking it seriously.
Please use plain text.
fidbald
Community Member

JMHO. Haller started post-war only; was never top drawer; Black Forest was a typical marketing name for these models for export, no continental European in his right mind would see anything "Schwarzwald" here.
at the moment they're not en vogue, but it comes in waves with these. after Eastern Germany called it a day there was a fashion to go back to 50s stuff also in the west. western 50s = eastern 80s...
Please use plain text.
afantiques
Community Member

My experience is that the durability of post war German movements is nothing like as good as the pre-war German ones.

One opinion is that the pivots are not hardened, meaning that instead of a fairly easy re-bushing job you have worn pivots and a far more tedious and expensive re-pivoting job. I think the earlier pinions are harder too. Even pre WWI lantern pinions seem to last better than post WWII toothed pinions.
=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Please use plain text.