eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Fake 18k gold Bulova or What? A deal too good to be true.

I picked up a gaudy men's Bulova at the second hand store. It is marked 18K gold on the back only and no where else.
I paid a lot but I also am weary of deals that appear to be too good to be true.
I tested the linked band and it is not 18K. I tested the bezel and it is not either.
The back case cover does test positive. The face of the watch has two diamonds. It is marked water resistant quartz then at the bottom it says Japan Movement.
However the back of the case is marked Bulova Water resistant with a number 3063-6050 ag then it says Swiss 18K gold. That made me think that it is Swiss assembled with Japan Movement. However on the inside of the case back it is stamped very faintly with " H.I.Made in China".
The movement is a simple quartz movement with no jewels.
I don't know enough about watches to remove the stem to take out the face to test it.
The watch works fine after I installed a battery.
I have searched the Web trying to find a similiar watch with out any luck. What I think I have here is a thrown together watch or a fake. But then why would the back test positive for 18K?
Does Bulova every use Japan movements?
Any watch people out there have any ideas it I have a piece of junk. I have 7 days to return it for an exchange.
Community Member

in reply to incognitohere
These fakes/replicas were made to imitate most of the major brands 10-15 years ago. They had the look of a heavy solid gold watch with solid gold band, but in actuality, they were just plated base metal. You may have picked up a hint of the gold plating in the positive test of the back, but scratching the surface will reveal the brass case underneath. Sorry.

Greg
Community Member

Thanks for the information. I kind of had a feeling something was not right. I think I am going to return the watch and let some other sucker have a crack at it.
Have a great day.
Community Member

Thanks for the information. I kind of had a feeling something was not right. I think I am going to return the watch and let some other sucker have a crack at it.
Have a great day.
Community Member

I think someone is selling a watch similar to what you purchased (see eBay item#5046625213).

It is a shame that these fakes exist. Some company out there is apparently making illegal replicas because their country does not police trademark infringements.

That leaves consumers wary of any purchase. I am now much more cautious of any high ticket purchases.

Regards.