eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

What does the word "vintage" mean...? This is the answer-

I enjoy shopping for vintage items on Ebay, but have found that alot of items listed as vintage appear to be new or nearly new. I feel that the description (vintage) is often misleading and/or inaccurate. Recently in our local newspaper, an antique expert answered this question by a reader: "What does the word "vintage" mean when it's used by a dealer to describe items? I find many items are fairly new."
Answer: "There's no rule about the meaning of vintage. Many dealers and collectors customarily use "antique" to describe something 100 years old or more. "Collectables are about 25 to 100 years old. "Vintage" is a catchall word that means "not brand-new." Sellers often describe an item as vintage if they don't know how old the item is, but figure it was made at least a decade ago."

I personally would like to see Ebay change the meaning of vintage and give it 2 catagories: 1.Vintage 2.Vintage-look

Is anyone else with me on this or have an opinion?
Thank you.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to carpentercrazy
There's no rule about the meaning of vintage

really ! ?..hahahaha..that is NOT TRUE.

Collectables are about 25 to 100 years old.

WRONG AGAIN...That is unbelievable coming from the mouth of so called " antique expert".

Whatever he says after that has no weight or meaning at all..
-DANA-

"Acredite sempre no seu trabalho - Vinicius Felix de Miranda- "

-DANA-

Photobucket

Please use plain text.
Community Member

What is the basis for your reply? Are you a dealer or is this a personal opinion? ...Just curious.
So then how does one know if an Ebay item is new, nearly new or truly a "vintage" item? By asking the seller each and every time?
Thank you for your feedback.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

This is my opinion based on knowledge and experience as well as opinions and experience of sellers/dealers/appraisers with years and years of hands on expertise in various fields.

So then how does one know if an Ebay item is new, nearly new or truly a "vintage" item? By asking the seller each and every time?

Buyers have to be selfeducated to discern the differences..And if given buyer is interested in one particular niche objects ..it is easier to learn about those items and not fall for erroneous descriptions.

In very general terms..
-antique is an object 100 or more years old.With a few exceptions it applies to everything made prior to 1907.
- collectable is an item that has buyers /collectors following ..people interested in acquiring certain things in multiples of design ..Majority of those are manufactured for different purpose than collecting ..but gain interest after years pass..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collectible

-Vintage- in terms of age..many objects from variety of categories ..made no earlier than 25-85 years ago.
However..by stating something is vintage ..seller should point at least the decade item is coming from..ie.Vintage 30s..vintage 50s..etc.
Many items can be quite easily recognized as far as the age due to the materials used to make them..shape..design..color..etc.
Asking seller about particulars of the auctioned item is always a good idea..The problem is ..not all sellers know what they are selling..majority does not research their widgets..and many don't want to loose $$$$ by admitting their " vintage" was made in China a week ago.LOL
-DANA-

-DANA-

Photobucket

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Thank you Dana for the info. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
I still think it's a bit "underhanded" when a seller describes their brand new items as "vintage". I guess one just has to ask.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

TRUE..But the key to buying genuine vintage of your choice,,is selfeducation.
Caveat emptor..
-DANA-

-DANA-

Photobucket

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I bought a vintage (1906) collectible (clock) antique yesterday. How should I list it??
Please use plain text.
milestoneks
Community Member

I believe the reason this question comes up so often is because the term is so abused. If you haven't done so Dana, just 'save' your reply for the next time.

Wally, list your clock just as you have stated...everyone else does.:^O
“What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” ~~Albert Pike, Freemason
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Heed what Dana says. It is unfortunate that the terms are so mis-used on eBay and elsewhere, but it happens. sometimes it happens because there is intent to deceive, sometimes because the seller really does not know he is using the wrong term.

The only really definite term is "antique." Legally, in this country, an item must be 100 years old.

A "collectible," is something that people collect - no matter when it was made. Beanie Babies are/were collectibles, coca cola trays are collectibles, so are antique coin silver spoons from the 1840's. While it is true that there is...somewhere...a person who will collect certain things that no one in his right mind would imagine (ie., used wooden spoons from 1940's Dixie cups!)it is generally logical to assume that no one is going to pay more than the sticker price for a bar of Ivory Soap bought yesterday at the supermarket.

Vintage refers to the date of origination of the object -- whether it be yesterday, last year, 1920, or 1620. For the purpose of selling, items labled "vintage." should also have a qualifier: a 1920's racoon coat, a 1970's harvest gold refrigerator, the year 2000 millenium memorabilia, etc.

Therefore, Wally's clock is: a collectible (zillions of people collect clocks), a 1906 vintage item, and - just barely - an antique.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Antique = My grandmother used to have one
Vintage = I haven't seen one in a while
Old = Mine's in the attic
Classic = Popular last year
Limited edition = Limited to the number of suckers we can find
Retro = Covered in plastic and price jacked up
Rare = Listed no oftener than once a week
Unique = Only a dozen left
Collectible = I thought it was great, but don't want it anymore
Scarce = I need to get this sold before I misplace it again
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Thanks for the dose of humor, private eye2020! At this point my question is...if the term "vintage" is so misused, confusing and misleading...then HOW do we get Ebay to change the rules for listing such items?
Please use plain text.
milestoneks
Community Member

......there's not about to change...........not for us anyway!!!!!!!!
“What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” ~~Albert Pike, Freemason
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Carpenter, glad to make you laugh. Ebay has rules regarding listings as such. You can report them, I do when I have time. Ebay is good about pulling the listings once reported. If I did not have a life I could sit at the computer 24/7 365 and still not catch them all. Perhaps ebay will discover a program that will catch the widget before listing. Oh well, ebay still is an awesome place to shop and sell. We just have to be aware.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I have run across this issue on another site where I sell handcrafted items. Some people use the term "vintage" for brand new items that are handcrafted in the style of older items, they may also be using older parts of clothing, hand bags or jewelry to create something new. Another craft websites say vintage is anything more than 20 years old.

It is confusing!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

We need to contact Ebay and request them to change the meaning of "vintage". There is strength in numbers, we ALL must do this. We ALL need to take reponsibility and contact Ebay or nothing will change. I guess we can take it on a case-by-case basis and inform the seller IF they are misleading us...that they will be turned into Ebay for a "misleading" listing. This may be the only way to get it through to some people.
Thank you for your input!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

You say change the meaning of vintage? To what? There are several opinions and I don't think ebay will decide on one.

Frankly, as long as people keep searching for "vintage" in the title, sellers will keep using it.

:-)
Please use plain text.
Community Member

If you will look back at my Sept. 26 post, I have made a suggestion as to "what" the meaning of vintage could be changed to.
Right, most people are followers and are comfortable doing the same thing...I am a leader and I'm attempting to be pro-active here. :-)
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Carpenter,I Agree. I was recently stung by someone's careless use of this word. You are right, there should be some definite rule or guide for listings that are marked "vintage." Meanwhile, I'll be extra careful & ask questions. I really appreciated the list of definitions by private-eye! So funny and true. I'd like to see a category called "NOT made in China."
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Thank you so very much for the "pat on the back". Yes, I guess we could ask questions each and every time. It just irks me thatwhen I search an item for vintage (whatever), it shows items that are inaccurately labeled as "vintage" when the are (obviously) brand new, or nearly new.
Just think of the time we ALL could save AND the misunderstanding we could avoid IF sellers would accurately list their item. We NEED better guidelines and I need backing. All of YOU out there in Ebay-land need to do YOUR part by taking a few minutes and contact Ebay about changing the meaning of "vintage" to: 1.Vintage 2. Vintage-look
Thank you!
carpentercrazy
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Still wondering exactly what you suggest the meaning of vintage be changed to? I see that you'd like another category, but just how should ebay state the meaning of 'vintage' ?
Please use plain text.