eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

oddity_trois
Community Member

Need help identifying this Native American Blanket...

Hello All!

I found this blanket in an estate with many fine Navajo rugs that I had little trouble identifying via the web. However this blanket i keep hitting walls. It has some bleeding that was similiar to the bleed i found in one of the rugs. Can anyone help me identify it?

Thank you!~

http://s1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa354/Oddity_Trois/
Please use plain text.
wilsonhepple
Community Member

Re: Need help identifying this Native American Blanket...

in reply to oddity_trois
Your blanket doesn't look very old.
Not sure, but I believe Navajo rugs & blankets had a plain edge...no fringe.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Need help identifying this Native American Blanket...

in reply to oddity_trois
This is a Mexican blanket, not Native American.

Native American weavings (and that would mean Navajo, since they are the only tribe that weaves rugs) are identified not by their designs or patterns, but by the way they are woven. The Navajo use a different loom and weaving technique than anyone else, and it results in a rug with yarn loops in each corner, rather than fringes on the ends.

You may hear that there are exceptions, but the only Navajo rugs with fringe are some saddle blankets, and some old Germantown weavings, which had fringe added as decoration, after the rug was taken from the loom. Gallup Throws have a fringe on one end only. A Navajo rug cannot be woven with fringes on both ends.

The Navajo, by the way, have not made blankets since around 1895. That date is usually considered the beginning of the Rug Period, when the Navajo switched to making rugs exclusively.
Please use plain text.