eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

How to tell real silver from silverplate when it's Oneida?

I just bought a tray full of old silverware from a yard sale. Some of it just has Oneida Ltd. on the back and it is heavily tarnished. The forks are heavy and weigh 3 oz. each. It doesn't say silverplate so how do I tell if this is the real deal? There was also "Community Plate" in the lot. I only paid $2 so I can't wait to see it all cleaned up. Can anyone help?

Lisa
Please use plain text.
gleamandglow
Community Member

in reply to antiquememories1256
Hi:
I hope you get some responses. I am not a silver expert, but do know that Most usually Sterling is either marked Sterling or has a number engraved such as '925' that means sterling.

I would suggest a trip to your local library or even your local Antique Shop. In our shop we have a library of books available to our customers to look up the items they are interested in and the suggested value. I know that not all shops do this, but we are happy to help people determine the identity and value of items.

There are many makers of fine Sterling, including Gorham, but I believe that Community Plate and Rogers and Oneida are all Silverplate. There is also much older stuff called quadruple plate and Coin silver.

My lack of knowledge may prompt some silver dealers to post to your question. I hope so.

g&g
gleamandglowImage hosted by Photobucket.com
Please use plain text.
mispaty
Community Member

Hi tried posting before, but there was a glitch.

IMO G&G is right. When I go looking I always look for it to say sterling or to have a sterling mark.
I use the plate for daily use, it's what I grew up with & I live the weight of it. And I live all the different designs I can pick up!! It is so much fun!! Save A Horse Ride A Cowboy

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Blessed are the cracked...
for they let in the light

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

In memoriam of grimalkin24 aka GrimmyImage hosting by Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Thank you so much for the reply. I do love the weight as it is much more solid than today's silverware. I plan to polish it and use it. I'm a vintage glass kind of girl, and have nearly a library of my own on depression and 50's era glass, but knew nothing of silver.

Lisa
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I am no expert either, but I know William A. Rogers, Oneida Ltd go by pattern number as to whether or not they are sterling. Sometimes the same pattern (design) will be offered in both sterling and plate, but it will say on the piece or sticker (hah!). A cheap way to try and ID your silver is to visit Replacements.com who has an assortment of silver patterns, not just Oneida and William A. Rogers but some you never probably ever heard of. Even if you don't know the pattern such as in some cases with their silver not having the pattern number on them, you can get an idea of which patterns are sterling because they list them on Replacements.com. (given you have a little time). At least that is a start anyway.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

You can also learn alot from their websites, or replacement websites about the items. My fav antiques place has a great library of info available for myself and the clerk. Spent many an hour there.
emma1889
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Not completely perfect, but heavy is the first word that should make you start thinking Plate. Sterling is usually lightweight.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Various flatware has been made by manufacturers who created in sterling..silver ..and silverplate..Unless clearly HALLMARKED ..you should suspect silverplate , not sterling or any other silver alloy.Oneida and Comunity were making plated pieces.The weight comes from base metal used to form the item.. DANA

-DANA-

Photobucket

"Acredite sempre no seu trabalho - Vinicius Felix de Miranda- "
Please use plain text.
gleamandglow
Community Member

Hi:
I am glad you got some answers to your question. I, too, would suggest that you go to your local library or your local Antiques store.

At our shop we have hundreds of books for identification of antiques and price values and we welcome any of our customers to look at the books anytime. That might be something informative for you. But as I told you before, most of the silver I sell says, "sterling" right on it or "silver plate" or has a number that indicates sterling.

It's fun to use the heavy, silver plate tho....just not as much fun to polish it!

However, it doesn't tarnish as fast if used as it does just sitting.

Best Wishes. g&g
gleamandglowImage hosted by Photobucket.com
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: How to tell real silver from silverplate when it's Oneida?

This site is great for looking up markers.
http://www.925-1000.com/americansilver_O.html   - for Oneida Sterling

http://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_O.html         -For Oneida Silverplate.
Happy hunting.

Please use plain text.
bamaj1
Community Member

A reply to an 8-year old post.  Interesting.  The original info provided is still correct.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I am an silver expert.  The way to tell the difference between silverplate & sterling flatware is very simple.   ALL sterling made in the U.S. is marked Sterling or marked 925/1000 or 925, with the exception of Sterling made by Kirk in the early 1900's.   There are no exceptions to this.  

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to submariner7_1892tbd

finally !!! whew!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to submariner7_1892tbd

submariner7_1892tbd wrote:

I am an silver expert.  The way to tell the difference between silverplate & sterling flatware is very simple.   ALL sterling made in the U.S. is marked Sterling or marked 925/1000 or 925, with the exception of Sterling made by Kirk in the early 1900's.   There are no exceptions to this.  

Up until the Civil War, most American silver was Coin Silver, 900/1000 parts silver, rather than sterling, 925/1000 parts. Coin silver was oftentimes not marked at all, or marked only with the maker's name or initials.

You will pass up some really good early American silver if you insist on only buying pieces marked "Sterling".

Please use plain text.
Community Member

you might be the persone to ask I have a west germany pewter made with crystal its a one of a kind piece and still has the sticker made in west Germany any I dea what its worth ? 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to out4funpja2010

you need to start a new thread for a  new question.  also, pictues are essential.  if it is truely 'one of a kind' value cannot be determined.  the best place to judge values is ebay auctions.

Please use plain text.