eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
Community Member

How do I restore vintage Kromex spun aluminum canisters?

I have a pink Kromex canister set and a black Kromex cookie jar and spice shaker set. I want to restore them; the spun aluminum is tarnished and the pink plastic is yellowed. How do I restore them? What kind of paint should I use for the lettering? Etc, etc...
Please use plain text.
gulfranger
Community Member

Re: How do I restore vintage Kromex spun aluminum canisters?

in reply to feistysorceress
feisty I use Alumabright. It is very strong stuff you would want to do a test area on the bottom first. It works in about 1sec. I get it at Ace Hardware. You have to be careful with it, strong stuff.

What are you painting. Free hand, stencil, letters, designs. If you have stencils I would go with a spray paint for metal. You could pick up some nice stencil designs at a craft shop or make your own.

~~~Beware of the fish...

He is very sarcastic~~~
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Thank you so much! I wasn't aware I had a response, or I would have answered sooner. I need to repaint the raised letters on the plastic lids.
Thanks!
Please use plain text.
gulfranger
Community Member

Alumabright is pretty expensive, heres a cheaper way to do it.

Try a good liquid polish for the metal.

You cant restore old plastic.
I would repaint the whole plastic lid with Krylon Fusion Plastic paint. Then paint over the letters, you could probably even use model paint for the letters. All of that stuff can be bought at any store that has a "Mart" in its name.

~~~Beware of the fish...

He is very sarcastic~~~
Please use plain text.