eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Definition of sterling pat d

what is sterling pat d vintage flatware? what is patent means? thanks.

bamaj1
Community Member

Re: Definition of sterling pat d

in reply to lauraandjared707

Guess I'm not certain what you're asking.  If flatware is marked sterling, it's .925 silver and that's good.  Some makers added a patent number and sometimes a date on their sterling goods. 

Community Member

My vintage flatware reads "Sterling pat d" - does it mean is not real silver? what is pat d means??

bamaj1
Community Member

Your flatware is sterling.  Pat d means patented.  Are there any maker marks on it?  We might be able to ID the maker and the pattern name.

Community Member

I have a piece that reads STERLIND PAT'D, and also has a scripted "D".  Does that have additional meaning?

Community Member

The Scribe "D" is most likely the mark for Durgin. Check out http://leonceantiques.wordpress.com/category/sterling-silver-patterns/durgin-silver-patterns/ to see if you see your pattern.

Community Member

My jewelry says D Sterling, wondering if that means something specific.  Most of my other jewelry says .925

Community Member

in reply to soccergirl1121

To the original question:  the company responsible for the design of your flatware has to resister that design with the government, and receive a "patent," a legal notice that only that company is allowed to make that particular design.  The term is sometimes abbreviated "paten d."

In other words, only the XXX company can put out that design, not Gorham, not Kirk, not Steiff, etc.

Sterling silver is marked in this country by, "Sterling," or 925.  

An implement with a silver appearance Not marked as above is silverplate.  While there are other shiney metals, only silver (sterling or plate) tarnishes and need to be polished.

Hope that helps.

gregsglass
Community Member

in reply to silverthwait

Hi Silver,

Just a little correction. Homen Co made a "special metal" that is what it is called and marked on the bottom.. Believe me it tarnishes and polishes just like silver and is not plated.

The bottom rim has 8 or 9 deep notches where people thought it was sterling and tested. LoL

greg

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting