Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post

JOIN US: Live Discussion on Vintage Category Changes

in reply to Sep 4, 2003 3:58:08 PM
dansford@ebay.com
Enthusiast
Hi everyone-- thank you for establishing this board.

The reason we are asking for a committee is to help make sure that when we translate the hundreds of posts into actual category structure it accurately represents what you want.

At 5 PM today PST, I will contact the people who have been nominated to see if they would be willing to participate on the committee. If they agree, then we will either let everyone participate on the committee (max. 5-7) people, or we will stage an 'election.'

As you have expressed, time is of the essence, so we are trying to establish the committee as soon as possible, before the weekend.

If you have any questions or suggestions on a better way to elect a hands-on committee, please let me know.

Thanks,
dansford@ebay.com
Message 141 of 163

in reply to Sep 4, 2003 4:27:07 PM
minerva98
Enthusiast
In my opinion, vintage is wearable every day, and there are many established collectors that can adjust to the new changes - I actually think some of the aspects of grouping clothing together in an era NOT by decades, but more on style makes a lot of sense. I would love to attract more buyers that wear vintage everyday, as well as retaining buyers that treat clothing as collectibles.
For example, in the women's shoes category (not vintage), I appreciate being able to use the drop menus on the sides to sort by size.
If I'm misunderstanding anything, please let me know!
Thanks, and I hope my opinion counts too,
Dina
Message 142 of 163

in reply to Sep 4, 2003 4:58:48 PM
in-like-flynn!
Enthusiast
Dina~the problem is that most vintage articles of clothing or shoes do not have sizes in them, and when they do they are very different than thier modern equivalents because sizing structures changed over time. When a seller DOES list a size it is a good guess, but most times~I know this from buying~a bad guess. This is why item specifics absolutely CAN'T work for vintage clothing, not to mention it prolongs the already excruciatingly long task of listing auctions.

Katie
~Katie

Massive Amount of Useful Vintage Resource Links:
http://archiviavintage.blogspot.com/2009/06/useful-vintage-antiques-and.html

in reply to Sep 4, 2003 5:16:13 PM
memphisvintage
Adventurer
Katie - speaking of "item specifics", that too was mentioned at ebay live that it was coming to vintage in 2004. Another disaster in the making????

~Marlene

Message 144 of 163

in reply to Sep 4, 2003 5:36:31 PM
dansford@ebay.com
Enthusiast
Please be assured that item specifics are not currently being planned for vintage. Rather, I introduced the idea as a potential solution to make shopping for vintage clothing items convenient for both the collector and the new buyer.

If it is decided to explore whether or not item specifics should be introduced for vintage, the community will be consulted well in advance on how this can be tailored to the needs of the vintage community, if at all.

dansford@ebay.com
Message 145 of 163

in reply to Sep 4, 2003 5:44:26 PM
jamiexmas@aol.com
Enthusiast
Dina,
I don't know what items you sell, but I sell primarily clothing 1930's and back. 50% of my customers wear the items, 50% do not, thus 50% do not care about the size.....and the ones that do are willing to alter it.

My main interests in the historic....customers collect BY ERA they look for anything BY ERA. A civil war collector looks for any item of the civil war, whether it be a dress, a corset, a bonnet, a garter set, or a lace cape....its the era that IS IMPORTANT, not what the item is or its sizing.

It takes me 3 hours to list 100 items in an evening....if size if of issue, something that is extra large, it can just be added to the title.

We need to make this simple for buyers, to be able to find items easily, and doing that by era is the only way...they click the era and check the pre-Victorian only box, type dress, and all the dresses in that category come up...but they don't do that, they go over every single item to be sure they are not missing a thing

Message 146 of 163

in reply to Sep 4, 2003 5:47:40 PM
memphisvintage
Adventurer
It was stated at the C&A luncheon seminar during eBay Live that item specifics were coming to the VCA categories. Just not yet. That it would be sometime in 2004. So to me, that sounded like a done deal.

Dansford, I surly would hope that ebay has learned something from this terrible fiasco so as not to repeat the same mistake twice. Item specifics are not something that lend themselves to vintage clothing. Bad idea. But at least you are stating that IF ebay is going to impliment this into the VCA category, they will FIRST talk with us BEFORE any changes are made to the category.
~Marlene

Message 147 of 163

in reply to Sep 4, 2003 6:45:07 PM
revolving-door
Enthusiast
I wonder how eBay would fare if this kind of problem were brought out in a REAL public forum instead of being ignored? Anybody thought about letting the shareholders know the mess that has been created with the category changes in Vintage AND the regular Clothing & Accessories categories.

Ebay has always tried to blow smoke about how many members there are, what their sales projections are, etc. Just enough info to make the shareholders happy.

I wonder how happy they would be if they happen to hear about this fiasco on one of the nightly news channels or in a major newspaper/magazine? Imagine the headline:

Ebay Dumps Clothing Sellers Into Recycle Bin?

Not a pretty sight Smiley Sad

The only promise of childhood is that it will end.
You are living your autobiography, make it a best seller!

Message 148 of 163

in reply to Sep 4, 2003 7:03:54 PM
As Riley on "Life of Riley" used to say........."What a revoltin development this is". If I might offer a psycho-dynamic interpretation to this whole mess, it would be this. Ebay is now a schizophrenogenic mother telling us she loves us at the same time slapping us down and making us eat dog doo. This is simply an UNHEALTHY and HURTFUL situation. As many of the wonderful buyers and sellers of vintage and antique clothing have said...ERA FIRST! You are taking the joy out of the search for vintage clothing and you are also taking the livelihoods of our dealers. SHAME! SHAME! SHAME! Dansford, please, please see that ebay gets it's priorities straight. In this case, the customer is RIGHT!!!!!!!!
Marlene
Message 149 of 163

in reply to Sep 4, 2003 8:11:38 PM
1princessleigh
Enthusiast
i think it is very much too late for me to comment, but i couldn't get here earlier....but one thing that has not exactly been said is that a vintage dress of any era is unique. you do not go to a rack and find a dress you like and flip through the racks to see if it is in your size, or in a different color. this makes shopping for vintage VERY MUCH DIFFERENT from shopping for 'new'. you can't just go to the store and say do you have this in another color?---the article either is the thing you want, or it isn't. and what ever it IS, there won't or will rarely be, another one coming along just like it. since these articles are 'collecitbles' in this way, although often highly usable and wearable, they are, as some one already said, a hibrid. and the simple fact is that even if you put a bias-cut chiffon 1930's dress in with all the modern dresses to give it more exposure, to the buyer of 'new', who is accustomed to an array of sizes and colors of the same dress, this vintage dress makes no sense. these fashions must be seen in context to be appreciated---the context of an era. anyone at all who knows that they want something different....perhaps something vintage, will never be able to navigate the new way of listing, without this context. it simply requires too much searching. a person should just be able to browse what's new in in any given era---even if they are not sure of what era they like--- without having to search individually for dress, coat, skirt, jacket, suit, pants, shorts, etc. in each one. it's just too much and it doesn't make any more sense to a novice, than it does to any of the other knowledgable people who've posted here.

leigh
Message 150 of 163

in reply to Sep 4, 2003 10:43:42 PM
luvbridge
Enthusiast
I have had a vintage B&M shop for 10 years and have been collecting vintage clothes for 30 years. I collect 1920's and 1930's and Victorian.

It is imperative that era be listed first. I do not want to look through retro or mod. I also want to find accessories by era.

As far as item specifics, beware! If you use that to search, your search will not find listings in which the seller has not used that option.

Several months ago, eBay, without prior announcement, moved Books into Entertainment. There was, as expected, a huge outcry. Within 3 days, Books was back as a stand-alone category. I do not know why VCA cannot be changed back as easily.

PS I really enjoy lurking on this board. I hope eBay will listen to all of you buyers and sellers on this issue.
Message 151 of 163

in reply to Sep 5, 2003 3:03:39 AM
picksfromthepast
Enthusiast
Revolving-door,

Your comment regarding the media may not be as far off as you think. I received an email this morning from a friend in the media, who knows that I sell here, asking me what was going on. I did not contact him, so the word IS out there. With almost 300 signers of a petition and the ripple of people that those people know, that's a significant number. For all we know, some big T.V. execs wife is a buyer of vintage here on eBay.

I replied that being a new seller, I would never assume the responsibility to answer questions on behalf of the community, however, I did steer him to the people and posts that could give him the proper insights and correct information.

What he wants with the information, or what he does with it, I don't know. Since it IS a public forum, the information is accessible anyway, so I didn't feel I was breaking any confidences .

Message 152 of 163

in reply to Sep 5, 2003 5:47:27 AM
bestrags
Enthusiast
I like the idea of a separate category for reproductions BY ERA, and I would like to see accessories broken down more by era. I would like a search button that helps me browse by era. I would like to see clothing available through the antiques category as well as collectibles and through clothing. It has been too hard for the new user to locate or even for regular E Bay users who don't routinely shop this category. So far you have made the problems worse with every change, but these new categories make searching nearly impossible for everyone.

ERA ERA ERA
Message 153 of 163

in reply to Sep 5, 2003 7:55:50 AM
heatherhook
Enthusiast
Hello! Dansford thanks for offering to take on the task of coordinating the sellers so that our voice is heard. It's really a necessary thing. I'd be glad to help any way I can. I do agree with the other sellers - October is a month and a half off, and that's too long to be suffering with these problems. Is there any way the categories can be changed back to the way they were in the interim? I think that would stop a lot of the other sellers screaming (me included!) and perhaps allow all of us to stop complaining and start working towards a solution. How hard would it be to change them back? Also, could you perhaps start a new thread? There are so many in this one that the responses are getting lost.

Heather Hook

Message 154 of 163

in reply to Sep 5, 2003 8:00:51 AM
lkranie
Adventurer
Dansford,
I *skimmed* through all of the messages in this thread and if someone already asked this, please direct me to the answer, but is it possible to have eBay present categories BOTH ways? Can people click on, for example, a pre-1901 category as it was before and eBay would automatically cull all the shoes, dress, skirts, etc subcategories for their pre-1901 subgroups, then bring them up for searching? That is, there would be categories as the new ones are now, but there would be an additional choice of era, as it used to be. Surely eBay's search engines could gather all the relevant subcategories that exist now and bring them up when I click on something indicating that I only want to look at the pre-1901 clothing -- of ALL sorts.
I am a vintage clothing collector and I just stopped looking at eBay sales because it was too tedious to rummage through each category.I would appreciate having the old option back.
Lynne
Message 155 of 163

in reply to Sep 5, 2003 10:46:47 AM
whatzmyline
Enthusiast
Having spoken last night to another vintage seller who pays much more attention to this board than I have recently, I just learned of this discussion - why is that? I would have thought sellers may have been (at least) polled BEFORE these changes. If eBay is so interested in learning what works for customers you have all of the marketing tools right at your fingertips. Simply take the email addresses of everyone who bought and sold vintage during a one week period (or even one day!) prior to the changes and after the changes. Have them check which they prefer and return it. Aren't we trying to make this user friendly on both ends? The bottom line is the new way is more difficult for the buyer to find what (s)he's looking for, which is frustrating for her and worse for us as sellers who know that our merchandise is posted but is now buried in this huge general pile that the average person has neither the time nor patience to dig through.

whatzmyline

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we’ve planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us."
Message 156 of 163

in reply to Sep 5, 2003 12:30:07 PM
colqua
Enthusiast
Sorry, I missed the discussion yesterday. I hope it is not too late to chime in. I have been annoyed by the changes and was looking for place to register this. I am a regular buyer of vintage clothing. My main complaint is that I had vintage clothing listed in "my e-bay" in my favorites, which disappeared without warning. When I tried to add it back to my favorites, I could not add simply vintage clothing, or even women's vintage clothing. The program forced me to choose an item category and then further an era, bringing me to a much more specific list than I want. Once I get there, I can back track to Women's vintage clothing, which is okay but a long and tedious way around to get where I am going, when this is supposed to be a short cut. And I still haven't found where vintage shoes are since the change. I suppose I need to go to women's shoes and rather than access it from vintage clothing. Also I find the new era listings are not that helpful. My main love is 1940's suit, some of which are listed in 48 and before and some in 48 and after. I think that having vintage in the clothing category, will bring in new buyers, but I agree that within the category era first makes more sense. I also wold agree that there should be an evening wear category. This is a category that interests me, but I usually have to multiple searches using floor length, evening, long, gown, ball, and other terms to see what is available. I would be happy to volunteer to be part of the committee as an avid e-bay vintage buyer.
Message 157 of 163

in reply to Sep 5, 2003 12:41:39 PM
fifis
Enthusiast
I am asking (no, Begging) you to please return the categories to an era based format. As I am predominately a seller, this has wrecked havoc on my database listing system. Since the new format was implemented, I have seen a decrease in my traffic. I have noticed that I do not seem to be the only one who is witnessing this. As a buyer, I just tried out this "new" format and it was a nightmare. It took me 15 minutes of confusion to get to an era and lo and behold the garment I was looking for ( a mod two piece coat and dress set) sent me on another cat and mouse chase (coat or dress?), time to click the back button. I loved browsing through the old format, I would come across suits, coats, and dresses all from one era. As a vintage clothing collector of 20 years, I must say that EBay's old vintage category format was a refreshing alternative to the scouring of estate sales and vintage shops. With this new format, I feel like I am digging through piles of clothes at the Rose Bowl. Please change it back.
Message 158 of 163
Highlighted

in reply to Sep 5, 2003 5:51:02 PM
heartnsoul1
Rising Star
YO! DON'T YOU ALL AT EBAY HAVE SOMETHING BETTER TO DO? WHY DO YOU HAVE TO MESS AROUND WITH A SYSTEM THAT WORKS, OR AT LEAST IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO DO MAKE A SYSTEM THAT WORKS, WORK BETTER AND NOT WORSE! DOES ANYBODY IN YOUR OFFICE KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN 18THC. STAY AND A 1960'S BULLET BRA? WE IN THE VINTAGE BUSINESS CONSIDER OURSELVES PROFESSIONALS, FASHION HISTORIANS, PLEASE DON'T MAKE US LIST A 1920'S FORTUNY GOWN NEXT TO LIZ CLARIBORNE DRESS! PLEEEEASE MAKE THE LISTINGS BY ERA.

CAROLYN FORBES HEARTNSOUL1
Message 159 of 163

in reply to Sep 5, 2003 11:55:47 PM
jitterbugranch
Adventurer
Dansford,

luvbridge said:

"As far as item specifics, beware! If you use that to search, your search will not find listings in which the seller has not used that option."

I agree, that's why I suggest that a general size notation should be made mandatory when listing, in the same way you have to choose how many days the auction will run. I'm frustrated by the lack of size notation in item titles, and the lack of any size standards. Some people's 'large' is very small to me, lol! Couldn't there be a mandatory size entry, which would have to be filled in on the list your item form? For example:

XS <24" waist
S 24 - 26" waist
M 26 - 28" waist
L 28 - 30" waist
XL 32" and over waist

It would help solve the searching for sizes problem.

luvbridge also said:

"Several months ago, eBay, without prior announcement, moved Books into Entertainment. There was, as expected, a huge outcry. Within 3 days, Books was back as a stand-alone category. I do not know why VCA cannot be changed back as easily."

Touche'! Dansford, please let us know if this is indeed the case and what we can do to make it happen.

Am I on the right track when I see the VCA potentially in this format:

Pre-1901 (Victorian & Earlier)
...INFANTS
...BOYS
...GIRLS
...MEN'S & WOMEN'S ACCESSORIES
......Belts
......Canes, Walking Sticks
......Eyeglasses
......Fans
......Gloves
......Handbags, Purses
......Handkerchiefs
......Hat Boxes
......Men's Hats
......Scarves, Wraps
......Sunglasses
......Ties Umbrellas, Parasols
......Women's Hats
......Other

...MEN'S CLOTHING
......Jackets, Coats, Outerwear
......Pants, Jeans (& Shorts in later categories only)
......Shirts
......Suits, Outfits
......Sweaters
......Swimwear
......Underwear
......Sleepwear,
......Shoes
......Other

...WOMEN'S CLOTHING
......Dresses
......Evening & Bridal
......Jackets & Coats
......Pants, Jeans & Shorts (in later eras only)
......Skirts
......Suits & Outfits
......Sweaters
......Swimwear
......Tops & Blouses
......Intimates
.........Bras, Bra Sets
.........Hosiery, Stockings ,other
.........Corsets
.........Camisoles
.........Panties
.........Sleepwear, Robes
.........Slips
.........Other
......Other Women's Clothing
......Shoes
...COSTUMES, MASKS
...RETRO, REPRODUCTIONS

1901-19 (Edwardian, WWI
repeat Pre-1901 categories and sub-categories

1920-37 (Pre-WWII, Depression)

1938-47 (WWII)

1948-64 (50s & Early 60s)

1965-79 (Mod, Hippie, Disco)

1980-89 (The 80s)

Thanks Dansford, for your help! And thanks to all who post here.

Cat

Message 160 of 163