eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

5deborahanne
Community Member

Antique crazy quilt

I just love Antique crazy quilts ! I would love to try to make one from old velvet and satins this would be a 1st time project any advice? TIA ! Always Debbie
Please use plain text.
5deborahanne
Community Member

Re: Antique crazy quilt

in reply to 5deborahanne
I just love Antique crazy quilts ! I would love to try to make one from old velvet and satins this would be a 1st time project any advice? TIA ! Always Debbie
I guess no one is home!!! Thanks any way
Please use plain text.
embroiderist
Community Member

in reply to 5deborahanne
try asking the vintage textile group.
Please use plain text.
clutter-be-gone
Community Member

in reply to 5deborahanne
I love them too. They are fun to look at and since they are crazy you really can't make a mistake making them! I bought the book "Crazy Quilts" by Cindy Brick. It has lots of great history on these types of quilts and tons of pictures plus a section on how to do it. I also looked up videos on youtube as I just couldn't figure out how it was done by description alone. I am now working on my first project and I am enjoying it. I am using old silk ties from thrift shops and they are working out pretty well.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 5deborahanne
Main advice is to learn to embroider on a sampler size piece to see if you have what it takes as each piece is connected to another with embroidery stitches. You have to lay out the fabrics in advance to see how everything is going to look. You might even want to start with a small necktie sampler made from silks.

And, at the same time begin learning about and gathering your fabrics as you will need plenty to make a quilt - and in good condition; silk velvets tend to shatter, and satins have their own unique problems.

Once you get the top made, you will have to find batting and fabric for backing, put it together and bind the edges.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 5deborahanne
I am on my first quilt and it is so much fun. the bolder the colors the better. the 3 best books that helped me was Elegant stitches by Judith Montano, Crazy quilting by J>Marsha Michler, and An Encyclopedia of Crazy Quilt stitches and motifs by Linda Causee. I cut my blocks 15 1/2 inches and finished will be 15 inches. I did some type of stitches in every seam and added embleshments in the block. nothing is wrong in this type of quilt. Making the block out of washed muslin and drawing off the blocks, sew on the machine or by hand the material you want. making the five star rose is my favorite. GOOD LUCK
Nita
Please use plain text.